Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
stranger
stranger
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
I had UBB many years ago, lost it, went to phpbb.

Problem with phpbb is it's about as secure as an invitation and has no ability to stop spam accounts.

Is UBB secure as regards hack-attacks and spammer accounts?

TIA. smile

Last edited by Hetzer; 04/02/2008 11:49 AM.
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
With the CAPTCHA system, and new user moderation if necessary, spam accounts are really very minimal.

When we rewrote version 7 we put a high priority on security, since we had a few issues in the 6 series. So, it's been very secure.

Other users here will put in their 2 cents as well I'm sure wink

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
stranger
stranger
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
Thanks Rick. Doubt it could be worse than phpbb, the verification numbers don't work at all. I was deleting up to ten auto-bot spam accounts a day.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

FWIW, I've never had a problem with UBB, regardless of which version (Classic or Threads)... {knock on wood} wink


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
With the CAPTCHA system and using one of your custom fields placing a "Human" question in the box or having them fill out something a bot will not understand I have never had a spammer or bot register on my board as of yet.

Human example:
Please type I'm Human in the box to the right.

A bot will not understand it and leave it blank every time.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
You could have a bot search for a regex on your example; then all it has to do is look for "Please type [text] in the box below", then [text] is the data to enter to the field...

No doubt the reason it hasn't been broken yet is becasue it's not main stream


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
I managed a phpbb board, which as you say, is horrible at preventing spam. I ran a Classic board for a few years and started having bad spam registration problems just before I switched to Threads. Now with Threads, I have very few attempted spam registrations, and I've had none actually sneak by and get approved. I couldn't be happier with the spam prevention aspect of Threads.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Yeh, when I was running classic I got a LOT of registrations; which was why I pursued the captcha of threads when Rick was looking for suggestions for .t7... I coudln't be happier myself smile...

i actually had to close down several of my PHPBB communities.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)