|
|
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
stranger
|
|
stranger
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 10 |
I was hacking around google and discovered that my profile and a post on this forum was indexed. It should not be! What the forum needs is a robots.txt file to keep out google..... The txt file can be quite specific about what it does not want indexed.
Elmo v7.2.2 "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~Ben Williams
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2 |
That's a matter of preference for the administrator of any site - myself I don't care if google has my profile here indexed, it's one reason why I add my website url to my profile  I don't put anything in my profile on any site I wouldn't want the world to know... Do a search for robots.txt here, there's one being developed for site admins who do want to block certain pages from being indexed.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 122
member
|
|
member
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 122 |
it's one reason why I add my website url to my profile  <a href="https://www.ubbdev.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">ThreadsDev</a> | <a href="http://www.praisecafe.org/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">PraiseCafe</a> google may not much care for the urls in your signature these days 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
I love rel="nofollow"... so many spammers now adays...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1 |
rel="nofollow"? Dubya Tea Eff?? HERE??? :/
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
stranger
|
|
stranger
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 10 |
That's a matter of preference for the administrator of any site Actually it's this (ubbcentral) site I was talking about.
Elmo v7.2.2 "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~Ben Williams
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2 |
it's one reason why I add my website url to my profile  <a href="https://www.ubbdev.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">ThreadsDev</a> | <a href="http://www.praisecafe.org/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">PraiseCafe</a> google may not much care for the urls in your signature these days  I thought we were talking about links to websites in our profile, it's there.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2 |
That's a matter of preference for the administrator of any site Actually it's this (ubbcentral) site I was talking about. Exactly, not sure why anyone would put something in any profile they wouldn't want shared with the world...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2 |
rel="nofollow"? Dubya Tea Eff?? HERE??? :/ agreed, not sure why we'd be concerned with url's in signatures not being followed by search engines - why else would a site owner link to their website at a site for forum administrators?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839 Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839 Likes: 1 |
Agree - no follow in signatures is not needed 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
I however disagree, I feel that it should be forced... Any spammer can come to your community and make some posts; even if they aren't a spammer now; users don't always keep their domains, so you're responsible for linking to content on your site (and referring them to search engines without nofollow); which can be quite nasty in the long run...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839 Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839 Likes: 1 |
Little point in having links if search engines cannot take advantage - not worried about spammers as this rarely happens on 'secure' forums.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
Well, I'd hope for a "tick" so I can have it work how it does now... I don't want to be responsible for referring on sites that I haven't had the chance to check out myself  ...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2 |
??? You'd want to approve every post in case there are links to other sites within them?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
No, I'd want to be able to set it so that: A. User links have "no follow" B. User links do not have "no follow"
Again, I don't want to be responsible for posted user links other than allowing them to create them...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1 |
I don't want to be responsible for posted user links other than allowing them to create them... It's called moderation. Feel free to edit or delete posts on your sites "from spammers" containing links (it's ridiculously rare to begin with, at least for me) -- this is the WWW, and links posted (whether actively or inactively approved) should count as links and be counted and followed by search engines. How do you think sites become more popular? And why wouldn't you want YOUR site boosted a little from exposure here?? Especially on a site frequented by Webmasters, I just don't get it...! Before I install 7.3, I want to be able to NOT have nofollow automatically added. And I humbly request that that NOT be the case here, on a site of webmasters who may promote their sites in their signatures. Especially when many actually contribute to the software even in the smallest of ways. I can't even imagine the point behind it.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
Who's to say that a link you have in your profile now, will be owned by you a year down the road...
All I'm asking for, is the option to keep "nofollow"...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1 |
I don't (and would NEVER) disagree with any OPTION! I'm all for it. I've had my earliest domains, ones I use, for like 12-13 years and don't plan on getting rid of them. Some screwball actually asked me if he could buy MarioPuzo.com and TheGodatherTrilogy.com cuz he's a fan and wants them. Granted, I hardly update them any more (time), but they're still MY sites and I wouldn't sell them. I do plan on updating "one of these days", but still...  Unless there's a "million" after the offer, fuggedaboutit! lol But in any event, I think it's inappropriate HERE to have nofollow. It's a techy site, not a myspace page lol
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
<snicker> I'd love to sell some of my domains; but alas haven't had any offers  ... As for having nofollow on here; it'd make sense to not have it on, as everyone here are license holders; as for my sites, I'd love the option to have nofollow on user embedded links 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2 |
A lot of users get around the .sig limits by just hot-keying a .sig _________________________ - Allen - ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2 |
like above 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 3
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 3 |
Never heard of the expression 'hot-keying' a sig.
But if they did that on my forums, they wouldn't last long....
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2 |
How would you know without editing the post? As long as I made it look like a regular signature...
|
|
|
|
1 members (Phun),
259
guests, and
127
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|