Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
T Offline
Hello,

I had to modify the old UBB 6.7.3 to allow this feature btu I cannot figure out how to enable it here in this version of the software. How do I make the user's password shoudl up under theri user profile when looking at them as an Administrator in the Control Panel?

Last edited by Travis T; 04/09/2008 6:13 PM.
old hand
old hand

T
T Offline
OK - if this not doable, how do I re-inforce tough passwords then? Or does it do this already?

Travis

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Since passwords are encoded in the database, theres no way to "manually" check out the password.

You'd have to say, use a javascript (like what several sites use) for checking the password's length (which IMO does nothing on actually checking that the password is "secure").

I think that Rick mentioned something with this on the 7.4 UI overhaul, but that was some time ago that it was talked about.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
T Offline
So then a child could changes their password to 1111 and get it hacked lickety split? Not very secure if you ask me.

Travis

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Lol, do you honestly have a site that would see many children visiting on their parents accounts? I've never even heard of this happening before...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
T Offline
NO - it is 100% children all between 8 and 16. Anyone under 17 is not allowed to set thier own password. In the past when thsi has happened they have opened themselves up to trouble so now there parents request that we set their passwords and we keep them on file.

Travis

Veteran
Veteran
You can always become the user and change the passcode through the administer control panel.

T
T Offline
This is only effective if I can at least limit what they can set their passwords to - but it appears any 4 characters will do it. That is extremely UNSAFE. This was a great feature in UBB.Classic - why dump it???

Travis

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's not a matter of DUMP it. It's a matter of version 7 was a complete re-write and many features of the older classic are being reintroduced as time permits, along with many other NEW features.

Just hang in there and in time most items that were of value in Classic should return.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Security was the key thing... Keeping passwords in plain text had major security issues. So encoding the password makes the "plain text" password's security a non-issue as they're no longer plain text...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (ahmed047), 441 guests, and 145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29