|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 3
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474 Likes: 3 |
C'mon SK - you're slipping mate! (As official keeper of Birthdays  ) The World Wide Web may not be a member of this forum, but perhaps an honorary member? 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
veteran
|
|
veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235 |
Boo! Bad call! Not guilty your Honour.  Now go away. I'm far too busy reading the Calendar.  Ian's Birthday tomorrow, Allen on the 10th. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1 |
You mean she was only 2 years old when I jumped on? Thinking back to what it was, I believe it.  Of course that means it's been that long since I dropped AOL, and even longer since Prodigy! Congrats Www!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
I miss prodigy... then they sold to SBC, who completely ruined them IMO... Now they're whored out to the likes of "SBC Yahoo! Dial"...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1 |
I've heard of SBC, lately anyway, but have no idea what they are (were) -- I was with P* (as we typed it then, as opposed to CompuServe lol) since, but not past, the early 90's.
I remember spending a fortune (like, $150) on my "special" fast 14.4k modem for P* which was a "great deal" compared to 9600 baud! It then only took like 5 minutes to download a super lo-rez photograph! lol
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097 Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097 Likes: 1 |
I paid almost $500 for the Practical Peripherals 14.4 with a 3 line LCD modem at the time. Only finally threw it out maybe a couple years ago - was difficult to part with.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294 Likes: 2
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294 Likes: 2 |
Wow, I remember the 300 baud modems logging into bulletin board systems long before the public could get in the internet.
About 10 years ago a museum called me asking if I would donate that computer system to them since it was in mint condition so I parted with it and passed it on to them.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097 Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097 Likes: 1 |
The sad thing back then was that Microsoft was already WELL on it's way to becoming the biggest software publisher in the World.
Local BBS with modems had banks of dozens of modems to connect to their systems. Microsoft though still only had 2 9600 baud modems that you could connect to their site to FTP down some files. Was difficult as heck at times to get on.
Now days they get millions of hits on thousands of servers daily.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1 |
I think my first modem topped out at a rocket-speed 2400 baud, and they're probably still laying around here somewhere. lol BBS's, sheesh - quite the excitement! But still the inspiration of my naming GangsterBB.net  The first time I ever heard about "hard drives" I was floored -- a whopping 10MB!! ![[Linked Image from gangsterbb.net]](http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/images/graemlins/default/shocked.gif) -- I was still using cassette tape and 5.25" floppies on my $1200 1MHz Apple //e, learning assembly language and Applesoft! And I paid a fortune for a top-of-the-line 66MHz 486 with a 200MB HDD that I could not even imagine ever filling up, ever!  Now I have 4 externals and 2 internals. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839 Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839 Likes: 1 |
I think my 286 was a whopping 20mb 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532 Likes: 150 |
I have a 5mb hd in the garage...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798 Likes: 2 |
I have years of no dates in my early-mid thirties to thank the internet for :smash:
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097 Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
|
|
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097 Likes: 1 |
I have years of no dates in my early-mid thirties to thank the internet for :smash: Okay, you win that one Allen 
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
171
guests, and
128
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|