Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
I was just flipping through a few channels and I noticed quite a few non U.S. actors affecting American accents.

I was wondering... How do you guys (in all countries) feel about non-US actors adopting US accents?

Do you think they are any good?

Fair enough if they do a good job. But then again, why should they have to 'mimic' a US accent?

We've had lots of movies where mixed input/ accents work really well - a good international movie.

Some actors I can think of using US accents...
(just a few)

Anthony Hopkins
Russel Crowe
Sam Neil
Catherine Z Jones
Mel Gibson

Heck, when I started typing, I remembered quite a few more.


Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Suppose being around it all the time I never really notice an accent unless maybe deep south or New York, Boston types. But in most of the Western States I really don't notice any difference in speech. If you hear it then it's usually because they're not from the Western area anyways.


Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
Don't British people using American accents, kind of stand out though?

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
lol @ your sig driv :neener:

laugh

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

I'm often shocked to find out that some actors really aren't American (and vice versa). I guess that's the idea of acting to begin with. There are lots of talented actors on both sides of the puddle that do incredibly well.

I just watched Across The Universe and had no idea Bono was in it until he started singing (I thought it was Lemmy from Motörhead at first! laugh ) -- and his American accent was spot-on!

I'm from NJ, though, and worked in NYC -- yet even The Sopranos accents are a bit much for me! laugh


PS:
Code
ö works, but ö doesn't


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 122
member
member
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 122
what about nicole kidman? nice person, and all that, but i find her american accent irritating, and i'm not even american.


JakChat.com -- Forums for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Ubuntu-Indonesia.com -- Forums for Indonesia's Ubuntu Users

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)