Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
stranger
stranger
I Offline
if i purchase i have to have that older? feature where the a main forum - topics (index)- has the expand/collapse links.

could you add that back in?

p.s. if you don't know to what i refer, see the the expand/collapse links here (top right of board) in an old wwwthreads perl version:
http://www.macminute.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=lounge

i heard this feature was in up until version... 6.x? mb i could just buy that last version that had that feature, would that be possible? (though i'd live to have in 7.x.)

Last edited by ichi; 05/10/2008 3:56 PM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P Offline
The expand/collapse feature was dropped in version 7.0, unfortunately. However, this has been a frequently suggested feature, and I would also like to see it return in 7.4.

For example, the user-defined forum sorting options was dropped in 7.0, but added back in 7.1. Just wait for the changelog to see if it is added back. I know blogs are planned for 7.4, and I have also heard rumors in changes in the UI.

FYI, version 6.5.5 is still available for download, and it has the expand/collapse feature.

In addition to the expand/collapse feature, some of the top features I would also like to see are:
  • Public polls
  • Nested and Hybrid views for posts
  • WYSWIG editor
  • Thread subtitles like in Invision Power Board
  • Multi-post quoting
  • Search function for user list like in UBB.classic and many competing forum software.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm all for a user search option... Hell, even a "Search your PT's" option

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
stranger
stranger
I Offline
here's the thing: COMMUNICATION IS EVERYTHING.

when having conversations that go on day and night via an online forum ("threads"):

1. one MUST be able to READ, before entering the thread, WHO has responded and WHAT is their SUBJECT line;

2. people conversing may actually reply via subject line alone in thread index without the viewing member even having entering thread.
(happens frequently -- entering some trivial keystroke in the body just underneath and already open; frequently signaling the reader with Ø or NT or NF ending the subject line that that is all and there is no need to click onto the body of same message -- that used to be automatic if no body was entered. this is efficiency and is less makes takes effort thereby making communications far more efficient, just compare to what has to be executed by the user now to read, write, post, and reply.)

3. this makes communications powerfully efficient and more intuitive, far easier for new users to grasp and thereby "attraction" is better initiated.

without this USER SETTABLE feature of expanding/collapsing a board's thread index -- it must be able to set as default and remain set while logged-in -- none of the above is possible.

i can't believe it was dropped. i have to have it and UBB.threads is my ONLY hope!

i will buy immediately (within 30 days) if it returns. PLEASE CONTACT ME if and when this returns at kontrol at comcast dot net.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

You can get something like what you're talking about simply by using Threaded (vs Flat) Mode, which is set in your preferences. It won't expand the entire forum, but it will for each topic independently so you can see everyone who posted and when.

(Personally, I hate Threaded mode -- I like to see the entire conversation on one page rather than having to click 100 times to read a conversation. But to each his own. wink )

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
On a similar topic - our main competitor is http://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/forum.jsp?id=18 - not really sure why people prefer this type of layout (but they do!!)

I
stranger
stranger
I Offline
yes, and no that's not it. won't do what we need.

we need to have the ability to expand/collapse forum thread index just as we were used to for so MANY years (10? 15? years) with UBBthreads predecessor and then with Ubbthreads.

and btw, yes personally i use flat mode while in a thread --it is the expansion/collapse of the INDEX that is SO all important.

thanks though.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Was this a classic feature, as threads was only preceded by wwwthreads.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

He's still using wwwthreads -- it wasn't in Classic

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
I
stranger
stranger
I Offline
help me out here please.

i see and registered and tried http://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/forum.jsp?id=18

do you what software that is? i wrote asking.

then i went your second link, oh, i see now that must be your sig.

it occurs that i'd MUCH rather acquire the 7.0(?) version of Ubbthreads or have 'that' feature put back in.

what do think developers/owners, can we do this?

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
That is not threads - it is a custom built piece of software. However for some reason very popular with their users. I have yet to see it's advantages mind.

I
stranger
stranger
I Offline
here are three advantages (of the feature i have been referring to (not necessarily of that particular software at the 'football' site though it exhibits similarity only, UBB and it predecessor provided this feature much more robustly):
here's the thing: COMMUNICATION IS EVERYTHING.

when having conversations that go on day and night via an online forum:

1. one MUST be able to READ, 'before' entering the thread, WHO has responded and WHAT is their SUBJECT line;

2. people conversing may actually reply via subject line alone via the thread index, i.e., without the reader having to enter thread.
(this happens frequently -- entering some trivial keystroke in the body (to appease submittal) which is already opened and just underneath subject text box ; frequently signaling the reader that nothing further follows with Ø or NM, NT, or NF ending the indexed subject line -- that used to be automatic if no body was entered. this is efficiency and is less makes takes effort thereby making communications far more efficient, just compare to what has to be executed by the user now to read, write, post, and reply.)

3. this makes communications powerfully efficient and more intuitive, far easier for new users to grasp and thereby "attraction" to communicate is better initiated.

(gotta run, thanks very much.)

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

If you need something NOW, then I suppose Threads isn't your solution. You could try requesting the Expand/Collapse feature at ubbDev.com, but even that could take some time.

Maybe something like this would suit your needs.

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
I
stranger
stranger
I Offline
don't need it now (using opensource in place of UBBthreads' predecessor). i will buy UBBthreads immediately if/when feature is added.

i need a download to run on our servers.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 686 guests, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29