Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#211812 05/12/2008 4:23 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 956
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 956
I have 2 litte suggestions for the footer.tpl
1) replace the hardcode powered by with wordlet
2) remove the version from footer. If a security bug found this made it not so easy to identify your running version
line 48:
Code
<a href="https://www.ubbcentral.com/" target="_blank">Powered by UBB.threads&trade; {$VERSION}</a>
change to:
Code
<a href="https://www.ubbcentral.com/" target="_blank">{$lang.POWERED_BY} UBB.threads&trade;</a>


my board: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de
my hobby: http://www.biker-reise.de
Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen
Zarzal #211814 05/12/2008 4:45 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
One of the problems for Rick and Groupee is the fact that people remove and alter the copyright against the agreement that everyone makes when they purchase the script.

I think by putting it into the language file will make it easier for people to change the wording, whereas at the moment users have to physically alter a file.

The only way this would perhaps work is if the language file was not directly editable from the CP.

There are two sides to also displaying the version. It makes it easy to see which version is being run. I am also not sure that it is a security risk as it is the site owners responsibility to upgrade to the latest version. If owners do not update their scripts, I am not sure that Groupee can be held responsible for versions that have reached their EOL. Groupee have a responsibility to ensure that the latest version (currently 7.3) is free of any security holes, but not versions that are 2 or 3 versions old.

I am only speaking from my own thoughts on the subject, and do not know what the company line is.

Ian #211816 05/12/2008 4:59 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 956
Old Hand
Old Hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 956
the running version is shown in the admin section. This should be enough. Displaying the version public made it easy to find the propper boards using google. If you dont show the version you must try more board if you test a exploit.
Ok, its not a big thing.

Wordlet: As you see I only take the powered by. The rest is in the footer hardcode. The powered by string is also used for the browser top line while wathing the portal. This gives me the option in different languages to translate the powered by string without touching the UBBthreads™ and the link.


my board: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de
my hobby: http://www.biker-reise.de
Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen
Zarzal #211817 05/12/2008 5:50 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Whereas I'm against moving the powered by to a language file (agree with ian), I am for removing the version number for the security mention.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #211867 05/12/2008 1:12 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

"Powered by" should be in the language file (agree with Zarzal lol) because in another language people might not understand what it means. Those two words have nothing to do with the copyright statement, but help them understand that it is a copyright.

I liked the old hover-over for the version number in 7.1, not sure if search engines would see it or not? It's good to know the version number another site is using if trying to debug or answer their questions, or answer our own questions... wink But I do get the possible security issue if a particular version might be exploitable...


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #211871 05/12/2008 1:34 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
Disagree as it is the copyright! The software is written and released in the English language so should remain as such.

I think it is also part of the licence that this cannot be changed, so any putting of it into the language file would go against the licence that everyone agrees to.

I might be wrong - but I do not think so smile

Ian #211876 05/12/2008 2:05 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
I'm inclined to agree about removing the version number - that's how phpBB hackers have found easy exploits over the years.

Yes I agree that it is the responsibility of the user to keep their boards up to date - but that's in a perfect world.

I wonder how many 7.2 users aren't aware that 7.3 has been released?

driv #211878 05/12/2008 2:17 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

If it's okay with Rick, the version number can be placed back into the link title (shown with mouseover, as in 7.1) by using the following in the footer template:

Code
<a href="https://www.ubbcentral.com/" target="_blank" title="{$VERSION}">Powered by UBB.threads&trade;</a>

It's not, of course, foolproof, but it could help?


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #211916 05/12/2008 5:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Here is another point. My ISP is "Powering" the site and the site is running UBB.threads so why can't it be "Powered by me running UBB.threads"?

JAISP #211919 05/12/2008 6:01 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
because you do not own the software wink

driv #211921 05/12/2008 6:22 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by driv
I wonder how many 7.2 users aren't aware that 7.3 has been released?


I believe Rick emailed everyone who runs a recent version - I know I got email's/pm's from clients wanting to upgrade that I haven't heard from in a while smile


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
AllenAyres #211924 05/12/2008 6:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
Heh heh.

Actually, I deleted the last line of that post that said something like... "I bet that not everyone is on the mailing list"

Perhaps it's not an opt-in list? I don't know.

driv #211927 05/12/2008 6:56 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
I own the server powering the software DUDE. If the software is "Powered" by UBB.threads then they better own the server.

Powered by my company RUNNING UBB.threads

If your car is "Powered by Mopar" then there is a Mopar making it go. The software ain't going anywhere without the server behind it. Put it on a usb stick and see if you can post without it in a computer.

Just a thought.

Anyway, as long as UBB.threads™ is there it is not a violation of the copyright.

JAISP #212590 05/17/2008 4:50 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
My kind of humour lol


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
JAISP #212593 05/17/2008 4:55 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Thelockman
I own the server powering the software DUDE. If the software is "Powered" by UBB.threads then they better own the server.

Powered by my company RUNNING UBB.threads

If your car is "Powered by Mopar" then there is a Mopar making it go. The software ain't going anywhere without the server behind it. Put it on a usb stick and see if you can post without it in a computer.

Just a thought.

Anyway, as long as UBB.threads™ is there it is not a violation of the copyright.


"however, the copyright and "Powered By" legends at the bottom of each page may not be removed."

https://www.ubbcentral.com/terms.php


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)