Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#212474 05/16/2008 8:32 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
I don't think I mentioned this in the suggestions section.

I'd love to see tags / cloud tags in the Forums.

smile

willing #212507 05/16/2008 4:59 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Si, would make a nice CI smile


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
AllenAyres #212513 05/16/2008 5:13 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
or even CI would make a nice SI wink

Ian #212523 05/16/2008 7:42 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
whateverI it'll make; it'll definitely be useful...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #212539 05/16/2008 10:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
What is CI and SI?!

willing #212557 05/17/2008 9:04 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
no idea LOL .................

Ian #212567 05/17/2008 1:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

What are cloud tags? laugh


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #212569 05/17/2008 1:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1

Ian #212574 05/17/2008 2:07 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

Ahh, didn't realize there was a name for it. laugh


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #212577 05/17/2008 3:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
do they actually work?

driv #212578 05/17/2008 3:37 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
no idea - but they look good smile

Ian #212582 05/17/2008 4:01 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

I found a tutorial here that may help to start something like this.

ubbt_SEARCH_RESULTS would have to be altered (or a new table created) to save all the SEARCH_WORDS indefinitely, keeping track of how often each word/phrase has been typed in.

P.S. I never actually browsed that table before, and discovered 3 instances of SPAM in there! Unbelievable...! So things like this would need to be accounted for/prevented first...;)

This conversation probably belongs on ubbDev
Attachments
Search_Words-spam.gif


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #212583 05/17/2008 4:11 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I remember previously suggesting on the search page to display previous search words. I guess this is something similar.

Ian #212584 05/17/2008 4:14 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

I wouldn't want that if it's a gateway for spammers, though, until that issue is addressed! whistle wink


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #212586 05/17/2008 4:15 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
Why would it be of advantage to spammers?

What am I missing here?

Ian #212587 05/17/2008 4:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

If we were to display previous search words on our sites, those results would also include those links to spam sites as seen above... I don't want links to replica rolexes on my site. wink

We'd have to strip out all URLs, and all non-alphanumeric characters (incl. +) used in searches, plus ignore upper/lowercase differences, etc....

Last edited by jgeoff; 05/17/2008 4:21 PM.

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #212588 05/17/2008 4:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
oh, I see yes smile

In the same way that not all spammers post. Most will register, put their adverts into their signatures and wait for the search engines to pick them up.


Ian #212608 05/17/2008 9:20 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I use tag clouds when they're available, they're nice.

BTW, I wouldn't use the search for keywords; add a keyword field to the new thread/post page; then users are responsible for tagging their posts.

If you'd do one for search results, it's completely separate and only shows queries based on what people are looking for vs what is available.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #212609 05/17/2008 9:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
W
old hand
old hand
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 678
Yes defitely add a field for new thread and post so people can specify them. Definiteyl.

(And have some admin so we can edit things when people mess about and be idiots)


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 176 guests, and 163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)