Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#206066 02/06/2008 1:00 PM
H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
I tried researching this topic here a couple of months ago and I got the impression that very few here use Joomla to build their sites. So I thought I'd explore this a bit and find out if there is a way to seamlessly integrate UBB Threads into Joomla.

Ideally, I'd like to see UBB Threads so integrated such that when users login into my home page, which is Joomla-created, that users have automatic access to the discussion board. So instead of having multiple logins, they only have one.

I'd appreciate any help in this area. Perhaps this could be a done with support credits?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Not many do use joomla, it's been in 1.5beta forever smile Now that it's golden it might be a good time to look at it again. There was an integration done for mambo/joomla a few years back for the threads 6.5 series, but that won't work at all now.

I remember seeing an integration (I think it's called jfusion or something) that integrates other forums, might be easier to add-on to that one.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
OK. This might not be a popular question, but if I find another board that would integrate seamlessly with Joomla, a solution that uses PHP & MYSQL, would it be possible to import/export my UBB Threads into another board that's also based in PHP and MYSQL?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
That would be a question better asked for the people that make the product you're looking to go to, wouldn't it?

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
David, yes but I'd like to know if UBB Threads is such a type that it can export it's contents to a PHP/mysql based board. I'm not a UBB Threads expert and so I don't know it's capabilities.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Hi Harry,

Threads is a php/MySql based forum. So the answer, I suppose, is yes.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Harry, leaving threads would be up to their importer; our data is kept logically in a database, all they'd have to do is convert it.

As for an integration; it is possible however you'd have to do several things:
1. install both products
2. hijack the registration routine of jamoola, have it also populate the UBB.Threads database.
3. hijack the login routine of jamoola, have it also set the UBB.Threads cookie upon login.
4. hijack the logout routine of jamoola, have it also unset the UBB.Threads cookie.
5. insert a link to your threads install within the menu system of your jamoola install.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
G
G Offline
I'm looking into creating a new Joomla 1.5/UBB.threads bridge.

Since Joomla has a plugin system with event dispatches on everything necessary (login/logout/storing users/etc) it should be a breeze.

I'm guessing the JFusion component could be used as well, but it seems to be a lot more work.

I just need to read up on how UBB.threads cookie handling works nowadays. Hopefully I can copy the code from my old bridges.

aka Olle Johansson
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
The admin panel loginas where the admin can log in as a member should give you the information you need about what cookie to write.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
G
G Offline
Short update on this. I have a plugin working that allows users to log in via Joomla 1.5.2 standard login procedure and automatically get logged in to UBB.threads 7.0.2. Logging out works as well.

I'll hopefully get my license updated during the week and make sure it works with 7.3 as well. And I'll also have to code synchronization of the user tables, to make sure user data is updated in UBB.threads when updated in Joomla.

Not sure how I'll make sure user editing in UBB.threads updates the Joomla user database as well though.

aka Olle Johansson
H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
Gardner,
I'd be very interested in this bridge. Please update us as soon as this is made available. Thanks so much for your contribution.

addict
addict
Thanks Gardener if you want some testing done with it as well I have a test site with 7.3-b5 if you want me to try it out.

Dunny

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sounds great - thanks for the information Gardener.

Let us know when you have some code to share. cool

I have a new site that I've not setup yet with Joomla - I was going to maybe look at doing this but no since in recreating the wheel.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Likewise, I have a site with Joomla that is just about at the stage where it needs a forum.

I've been looking at the simple machines bridge - but on viewing other sites that use it....

Lets just say I'd rather stick to threads.

G
G Offline
Just a little update. I've now added Who's Online updates for all Joomla pages. There's also authentication in place for all Joomla pages, so the Joomla user will get automatically logged out if the threads user isn't valid. User can't log in if they, or their IP, is banned either.

Mostly though, I've just done a lot of refactoring and code cleanups so that I'll have a better overview of what's happening.

Now on to deleting users in UBB.threads when they are deleted in Joomla.

Edit: Damn, that was a lot of code for deleting a user. Don't want to replicate all that. Hmm... Need to think a bit about this.

Last edited by Gardener; 05/06/2008 4:26 PM.

aka Olle Johansson
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Thanks Gardener - sounds good smile

Ian #211248 05/06/2008 4:31 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Great work Gardener. Hopefully soon I'll be able to get an API done for many of the functions (like deleting users), that will help for things such as this.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
woot on the thought of UBB.API

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
:woot:

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
G
G Offline
Sounds fantastic with an API, that would make a lot of stuff so much easier.

I'm almost finished with creating a user in UBB.threads when registering in Joomla. Just need to add the user to the correct default groups. I'll either need to read the UBB.threads config file, which means I'll need to add a config for the path to UBB.threads. Or I need to add a config variable for the plugin to enter the default user groups. The later is a bit kludgy though, but easier.

I'll probably not handle user deletion at all. I'm guessing it won't happen that often, and the admin can delete from both systems by hand when needed. Maybe I'll have a reminder email sent out when a Joomla user is deleted to remind admins to delete the user in UBB.threads as well.

If anyone want to try the plugin I'll package it up and send it out.

I just got GTA4 though, and my motorcycle just got fixed and the weather is fantastic, so I will quite probably not do much coding in the next few days.

aka Olle Johansson
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
nice weather over here as well laugh

Glad to see you are able to post again as well smile

Look forward to seeing the plugin etc.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
send it to me and i can polish it up with user deletion / sync'ing, if you want..

smile

my email addy is in my profile smile

of course, only send it, if you want.. i'm just offering to have a looksee and maybe some tweakage, if you'd like.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
:off topic: on the XBox360 or PS3? I have it on the XBox360

SD #211442 05/08/2008 4:59 PM
G
G Offline
I posted from work, not sure if I can post from home yet, but it'll be obious soon enough.

Sirdude: I'll wrap it up and send it over to you then. Team work is great!

I do have old code for UBB.threads 6.4/5 and Joomla 1.0 for syncing users as well. If I can find that and I'll send it over too.

aka Olle Johansson
G
G Offline
It's on the PS3.

Managed to get posting working again. Firefox had stopped sending the referer.

aka Olle Johansson
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i won't need the old code..

i already have a mini-api [7.3] (add new user, modify user params, del user, get user group perms) that i've used on a couple of sites, so i would just possibly augment where you haven't finished off..

ty for all you're doing! wink

SD #211461 05/08/2008 5:52 PM
G
G Offline
Sounds great. I've emailed you the current version of the code. Just add your code in the appropriate methods in the class and it should start working directly. Please feel free to release it if you want.

aka Olle Johansson
G
G Offline
How's the integration coming along? I'm currently upgrading my Mambo 4.0 to Joomla 1.5 and UBB.threads from 6.1.1 to 7.3. So I will be needing it soon.

I'll probably open the site before though, and only let users register in UBB.threads for the time being.

aka Olle Johansson
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I would say that all registrations should be on threads anyway rather than within Joomla - that way any other scripts such as photopost all run around a central place.

Ian #213224 05/22/2008 1:21 PM
G
G Offline
The way it works is that both user tables are kept in sync. When you log in, you will be just be logged in to both systems.

Users needs to be in the Joomla tables as well. Otherwise a lot of the extensions for Joomla would probably break. And there is also a bunch of extra access control levels and stuff like that.

aka Olle Johansson
journeyman
journeyman
I am also interested in the Joomla 1.5 and UBBthreads integration/bridge. Would you mind sharing the code? I would be happy to contribute some dineros to help pay for subscription renewal to UBBthreads if need be.

G
G Offline
I've already upgraded threads, but haven't had time or energy to upgrade Joomla yet.

I sent the code to Sirdude and haven't done anything since then. Not sure if he's done anything yet, but I can post my version on ubbdev after the weekend.

aka Olle Johansson
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
code you sent was a corrupted .zip and i never went any further..

SD #214477 06/16/2008 3:54 AM
G
G Offline
Huh? I even got an email where you commented on the way Joomla login integration worked. So you must have seen the code.

aka Olle Johansson
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
yah, i saw one of the files and it was jibberishy.. but to have gone further wasn't in the cards..

but from what i saw, it looked perty nice

it just wasn't a whole file. at the end, the ascii got jumbled

SD #214486 06/16/2008 11:03 AM
G
G Offline
OK, weird. I'll repost it tonight when I get home.

Update Actually, I just checked the zip file in my outbox and it seems perfectly fine. I'm attaching it here now.
Attachments
plugin_jxubbridge-alfa2.zip (6.18 KB, 36 downloads)
Joomla / UBB.threads bridge. Early alpha, only for developers.

Last edited by Gardener; 06/16/2008 11:09 AM.

aka Olle Johansson
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
must be some different charset, cuz this zip has same issues for me..

actually, to be honest, it's not the ZIP.. but the unzipped file that has some special chars in it and that's what gets jumbled (for me).

i did the dos to unix dealio, just incase and it still looks strange wink

SD #214490 06/16/2008 11:42 AM
G
G Offline
It's saved as UTF8, created on a Mac and I'm reading it on a Vista machine right now. It should already have unix newlines as well. Can't see that there should be any strange characters in it either, just plain US-ASCII.

Just unzipped on a FreeBSD machine and it works perfectly fine there as well.

I can see that there are a couple of unecessary carriage returns in it though. I've changed those, so here's a new version of the file.
Attachments
jxubbridge.zip (6.14 KB, 28 downloads)
New version with carriage returns removed.

aka Olle Johansson
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
sd, try this one; created with winrar so it should work a little better than the vista or mac zip programs wink
Attachments
jxubbridge.zip (6.02 KB, 31 downloads)

G
G Offline
The first one was created with unix zip for what it's worth, and the second one with winrar.

aka Olle Johansson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29