Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
member
member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
Utilizing Gizmo's Backup Process is there a way to script the closing of the forums while this backup is taking place?

Is it necessary to close the board or does the mysqldump process close the tables being backed up automatically?

How do others perform this task? Our board is active 24x7 since we have a worldwide membership, though it is a tad light at the wee hours of the morning USA time.


Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

My host makes daily backups automatically, but I don't think (know if) they lock the tables as I've never noticed it...


GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
member
member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
I looked at the dotoggleopen.php file and decided that if I were to close the board during the backup I will just swap in a config.inc.php file that has the BOARD_IS_CLOSED => '1' setting, run my sql dump and then swap back a config.inc.php file that has that set to '0'


Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
I don't bother with the board close. The backup is done so quick, in the middle of the night, that anything lost would be close to nothing.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
member
member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
Good to know that, I'll just cron the backup job and see how it goes tonight.


Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
You should close your board before backing up.
The mysqldump will create the file as you select it; it will do it immediately.
Automating the process would be possible, but I'd recommend doing it manually, then you know when to re open when the backup is done.

the backup should just take a couple of seconds/minutes.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
member
member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
Actually I just stumbled across a nice little utility script for monitoring mysqldump. Well actually it does a lot more than that, it will:

- set daily, weekly monthly backups
- rotate backups
- backup single, multiple, all or exclude databases
- compress backups in addition to compressing the backup stream
- email the results, backup file, both, or only on error
- create time/date stamped backups, and separate directories
- run pre and post backup commands

It is all in a shell script so it's easy to adjust to your needs.

I generally will run backups a few times manually to be sure nothing blows up, but once I know all is well things become automated from there on out.


Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
how bout a Linky Poo™ to it .. i'd like to tinker with it too smile

tia

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
member
member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
Ah yes of course, linky poo...

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,057
Thats been around for a while and well used,
probably because it does everything on the tin wink


BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
member
member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 120
Another process I was considering was cstream to monitor the dump and when finished would continue on with the dump script.

But the automysqlbackup.sh script, even as old as it is, seems to be simple enough and gets the job done.


Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
I don't bother with the board close. The backup is done so quick, in the middle of the night, that anything lost would be close to nothing.


I take my words back smile

I've made a simple modification for ubb that closes the board on specific times with a specific message. This allows me to close my board automated in an easy way.

Interested? [b]Get the goodie here at ubbdev[/b]


[Linked Image from siemons.org]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)