Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#209365 03/28/2008 12:46 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
We have been using UBB Classic 6.3.1.1 for several years. However, it is now being overwhelmed by spammers. They are creating almost a hundred accounts a day. They almost never post anything, but the new accounts are flooding the system and making all sorts of problems.

We are considering buying a Standard License with the Upgrade Install option. (We'd rather not do the upgrade ourselves if at all possible). So a few questions.

1. Is upgrading from 6.3.1.1 available?

2. When upgrading, is it possible to only import user accounts that have actually posted and delete/lose/not import any account that has never posted?

3. In the newest version of UBB.threads, is there an easy way to search for and occasionally purge all the accounts that have never posted? It would be nice if the features in the forum keep us from being overwhelmed by spammer accounts, but I want a last line of defense.

Thank you!

- Jeff Vogel
Spiderweb Software, Award-winning Fantasy role-playing games
for Mac and Windows. Huge, free Demos!
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

1. Your Classic board will need to be upgraded first to version 6.7.3 (which is still in the Members Area) to be able to import your data into Threads

2. I don't recall Classic's control panel well enough, but in Threads you can search for all members who have a post count of zero and delete them all in one shot.

3. In addition to #2, Threads utilizes a few anti-spam tactics to cut down or even eliminate most instances of spam. I've been running Threads since '06 and haven't had any problems. Then again, before that I ran Classic since '01 and also didn't have any problems... wink

Before initiating an upgrade, I'd probably wait until Threads 7.3 is finalized (out of beta) in the near future...

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You dont have to buy a new license, just renew your old one; much cheaper.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
You dont have to buy a new license, just renew your old one; much cheaper.

That's interesting. Are you saying that if one has a current UBB license, it is good for UBB Threads? The reason I ask is that I am having much the same issues as the person who started this thread. I have a GOLD non-expiring license with 10 units of paid support available. So my questions are...

Am I good to download the latest issue of Threads on my license?

Can I have it installed with my paid support?
How many units does installation cost?
Can the installer transfer my UBB data for me?

I've kinda messed around and support links seem to end up at an EVE website. I'm not really familiar with the protocol. Do they do the official support? Should I follow the links to ask them the $$$ and install questions?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Your Gold license to the members area should be all you need: just log in and you should be able to see access to Threads. I, however, do not know if you can cash in your support units for installation/upgrade services...

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
your sales inqueries are better sent to (i think) sales@groupee.com

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Thanks for the help. I'll try and contact them. You folks at UBB Central have been a lot help and I appreciate it.

Just for kicks, have any of you visited the Groupee website lately. It has a lot of glitz and almost no info. Either I'm old fashioned and can't figure stuff out or they are way out in left field (or maybe a little of both).

Enough rant.

Thanks Again!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, they've moved far away from being helpful on the site to anything to do with the forum software...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 1,165 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29