Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran
Veteran
The really good web host's admit when they had a problem, the rest just say they have done nothing and it has to be something you did even if you had not even changed a web page in a year, lol.

I had a host that did that to me once. Then he followed it up with, "Well if you think you can do better then go a head."

Well that was in 1999 and since then I have been doing better, he is out of business. Now when something goes wrong I fix it with no problem, I own the data center.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I wish I owned a datacenter wink... My favorite job was assisting customers when I worked for a webhost :/...

I have a client who runs his domain registration through my reseller account at eNom; his host tried blaming their misconfigured server on me... saying that it was my fault that they didn't have an index directive in their configs... then magically a .htaccess file appeared with appropriate information wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
Don't you just love that?

alas, my saga continues ... blank screens have started again, out of no where. double posts as just one consequence. post islands not updating for many days now (even though some are set for update every few minutes.

i've been complaining (again) to my host. last message they came back with this:

I'm saying that USONYX staff didn't do any changes except those that were requested (like updating PHP/mysql).
For instance on May 10 we didn't do any maintenance - it was our datacenter that did network maintenance (they were replacing some routers as far as I know)

It could be some Control panel bug of course, that it changes something (like permissions) when something is done in Control panel,
but we simply won't be able to help until we see some error.

Right now it looks that:
1. forum application changes default logging settings - not to log anything and not to show errors
2. some script dies (blank screen) silently (without details due to n.1) upon doing something specific in forum.

anyone have any ideas?

JakChat.com -- Forums for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Ubuntu-Indonesia.com -- Forums for Indonesia's Ubuntu Users
btw, blank screens have the following code:

Code
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><html><head><title></title></head><body></body></html>

JakChat.com -- Forums for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Ubuntu-Indonesia.com -- Forums for Indonesia's Ubuntu Users
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
After looking into this, it looks like this is related to a custom portal box. Whenever it is scheduled to be rebuilt, it results in the white screen and it prevents other boxes from being updated.

Since these can be the root cause of problems sometimes, I think our standard support procedure is going to be remove any custom portal boxes, not just disable them, download them and delete them from the server.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Commenting-out the code in troublesome custom islands worked for me, easier than erasing them...

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
but from a support standpoint, he can't go about debugging custom islands...

so i can see wanting to have them a total non-factor, when initially doing support..

H
H Offline
FYI -- I just came here searching for "Blank Pages". I started having this exact problem 2 days ago, tearing my hair out trying to figure out what the trouble is.

The only "custom" portal box items I have are a PayPal button and an AddThis bookmark button, and both have been running forever on 7.2.2 with no trouble. the blank page thing started spontaneously, whith no changes being made by me on my dedicated server.

I upgraded to 7.3.0 last night, hoping that would fix things, but sadly, not.

I followed the advice you gave here about deleting files from /sessions and /templates/complie, but that trick didn't work either.

My users and staff are complaining, and my daily post count is dropping dramatically as users back away in horror from the white screen of death.

I swear -- I changed **NOTHING**. It began on its own.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29