Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
stranger
stranger
F Offline
Can anyone please help me? The 'Who's Online' box on the forum has been stuck for the last week and shows the same 5 users as online, though when you click 'details', the new page that pops up show's who's really online. Any suggestions on how to fix this please?

Thank you,

Sarah

(P.S. forum address can be provided on request if you think you can help)

veteran
veteran
Does it display the same for everyone or just for you?

To start with I would
  1. Clear the Cache - Control Panel / Tools & Info - Clear Cache
  2. Delete Cookies - My Stuff / Cookies

F
stranger
stranger
F Offline
the same for everyone. Will give what you suggested a try. Thank you xx

F
stranger
stranger
F Offline
hmm... that doesn't appear to of worked. Any other suggestions please?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by figaro
when you click 'details', the new page that pops up show's who's really online.
When you are on that page does the info in the small Who's Online box match up with who is displayed as being on line?

The Who's Online box on the forum pages will not update instantly but it should change when you go to the Who's Online page.

F
stranger
stranger
F Offline
afraid it doesn't match up and doesn't update when you go to the Who's online page. Any ideas?

And thank you for your help with this.

I noticed this as well on our v7.3.0 forum. The WOL box does not match the detailed display.

It does lag behind in updates, not sure by how much (I haven't gone so far to test/time this).

veteran
veteran
Don't know if it's connected but what do you have in the "Who's Online Timeframe:"

CP / Display Options / General / Primary / Who's Online / Who's Online Timeframe:

Currently set to 30 minutes. I was wondering if there would be a correlation there (and was planning on testing with that in mind).

However, in the previous version (v7.1.1) the WOL box and WOL detailed display were pretty much in sync with each other.

I haven't checked yet but was going to look and see if there was a cache timer for the WOL box, I know I've seen the timers for other stuff but never paid much attention to them. I guess now would be a good time to look into that! smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ensure all of the files in the /cache folder are chmodded 666 (and that the folder is chmodded 777)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Yeah, they're all correct. The WOL box was being updated, just seems to hold onto users longer than the detailed WOL display. (perhaps you were addressing the other poster in this thread wrt file perms...)

Were the 4 cache timer settings at CP -> Portal Settings, new for v7.3? I honestly don't recall seeing them there before.

In any case I now have the cache timer set the same as I do for the WOL timer, CP -> Display Options -> Who's Online. Seems to have resolved my issue, as far as I can tell...

Last edited by Island Piper; 06/10/2008 9:30 PM. Reason: clarification
F
stranger
stranger
F Offline
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
Don't know if it's connected but what do you have in the "Who's Online Timeframe:"

CP / Display Options / General / Primary / Who's Online / Who's Online Timeframe:

it says 10 in there.

And thank you for your help with this and the paths to get to where everything is. I'm pretty new to this so really need the simple version to figure it out! smile

F
stranger
stranger
F Offline
Originally Posted by Island Piper
Yeah, they're all correct. The WOL box was being updated, just seems to hold onto users longer than the detailed WOL display. (perhaps you were addressing the other poster in this thread wrt file perms...)

Were the 4 cache timer settings at CP -> Portal Settings, new for v7.3? I honestly don't recall seeing them there before.

In any case I now have the cache timer set the same as I do for the WOL timer, CP -> Display Options -> Who's Online. Seems to have resolved my issue, as far as I can tell...

How long did it take for it to right itself when you did this as I've done that too and nothing's changed? frown

Last edited by figaro; 06/11/2008 5:32 AM.
F
stranger
stranger
F Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Ensure all of the files in the /cache folder are chmodded 666 (and that the folder is chmodded 777)

where about's would I find this?

veteran
veteran
That's on your server, inside your ubbthreads directory.

It should have righted itself after one or the other timers expired (I would assume) but I didn't wait, I cleared the cache and it seemed to be spot on after that.

CP -> Clear Cache

Regarding the file perm's if you have command line access to your server (assuming unix here) you would do the following inside your /ubbthreads root directory.

chmod 777 cache
chmod 666 cache/*

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
or FTP in and do the chmod as well ..

Assuming the host allows CHMOD via FTP.

Not all hosts do (we didn't either until I realized it was disabled).

I guess you just have to use what you have available, ssh or ftp (or gasp... telnet!)...

Since I've never used any hosting provider than my own (I own a ISP/Hosting company) I'm not sure what the industry standard is on ssh/telnet/ftp access.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
from all the hosts i've used. FTP allows chmod.. ssh is the less frequently doled out capability and lotta times it's just a jailed shell..

that's why i went dedicated..

We don't do the jailed shell bit, but we do use chroot on both FTP and SSH. No sense in allowing users to roam the file system.

And yes, dedicated is the way to go! cool

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Lol I'd demand a refund if I didn't have SSH access, or the ability to do something simple like CHMod from FTP...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
I am having this issue with 7.3 also but did not have it with 7.2.2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 686 guests, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29