Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#214439 06/13/2008 11:21 PM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Can I place my google ads in a custom island? What size do I need to create with google? Also, when I click on the custom island do I erase what is in the box and simply copy and paste the google script into it? When I did this it said "syntac error". What am I doing wrong? Was it wrong size ad? Thanks.

www.carolinasoutdoor.com
Hunting and Fishing the Carolinas
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Place the adsense code between the "eof" lines.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #214452 06/14/2008 11:58 AM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Yes, I did that, but I'm wondering what size I should make the ads? I did the "small box" option from Google Adsense but it still came up with errors. frown

www.carolinasoutdoor.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
What kind of errors? Be sure you don't just "throw it in" it must be between the eof lines (There are two of them)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

As seen below, I'm using 120x90 ads. The code should be placed as follows:

HTML
/* BODY HERE */

$body = <<<EOF

<div align="center">
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
google_ad_client = "pub-3411120354601471";
/* UBB 120x90 Link Unit */
google_ad_slot = "7692017375";
google_ad_width = "120";
google_ad_height = "90";
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>
</div>

EOF;

In control panel, the cache time should be 0 (zero) for this custom island.

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #214468 06/15/2008 12:13 PM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Sweet, I've got it figured out now. I'm running some small square ads as well as a vertical ad along the left column. Thanks for the help!!

www.carolinasoutdoor.com
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
In this same vein, would you recommend running them as islands or putting them in each forum, etc.

Also, toying with the idea of having those who "donate" to the site's upkeep don't have to see the ads, so would the subcription option be a good way to do this....and with that, do I need to mod my forums to do a group check or whatever to know if the ad should be displayed or not.

Definitely keen to hear some options and suggestions around ad placement, straddling the fine line between pissing your user base off and getting decent revenue to support the site.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The subscription option only covers the ad island in forums.

Google allows up to 3 ad units, plus 2 link units; so you can come up with many options...

I have one side island, one footer island, one post island, then one link island at the top...

Gizmo #214767 06/23/2008 8:06 AM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Hmm...guess I'm not clued in to the ad units vs link units part....guess I need to go read up.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Look at my forums for an example, link units are simply a plain link; ad units are a link and an ad.

Gizmo #214774 06/23/2008 11:46 AM
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
happy b'day Carte Blanche!! [Linked Image from sirdude.com]

SD #215036 07/01/2008 3:44 AM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Gizmo, which of your sites are you referring to? I had a quick browse, but didn't register or log in, and I didn't see any ads.

And thanks Sirdude.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's not a style that has ad's, it's the forum; and there are adsense ad's all over the forums on UGN (check my sig)

Gizmo #215042 07/01/2008 9:54 AM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Ok, now, what's the sql command where I can set all the forum permissions view ad island to 1 for all my forums across all my groups. It's too much of a pain in the ass to try and do it individually for every forum for every group. There needs to be some select all options.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Also, how can I get the adsense stuff to adopt my wrappers so that it'll blend in regardless of what stylesheet my users are using.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Finally, because the ads are mostly going into boxes, are they picking up the context of the pages being displayed? Seems Google is phasing out the ads where you can select categories in August, but my new ads don't really seem to have any relevance to the the things on my pages.

Yep, I R n00B

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Ok, maybe that wasn't finally. I see there's the bit where you can give adsense your authentication url....

let me step back, I created a new user, gave him the access that I wanted adsense to have so it could crawl hidden content to better target advertising.

So, I've told adsense this is the auth url..

http://www.theancientorder.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=login

What should I put as the restricted url? Also, for the parameters are we talking simple username and password as the names? Is it a POST method?

Bleh, It's 2:50 am here, I"m bleary eyed and tired so pardon my lack of clear thinking, I'm just too much a dabbler in all this instead of establishing any proficiency.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'll answer what I can...

Adsense has a bot, it will troll your site; it should target ads according to content it finds.

As for blending options; the adsense ad's don't use CSS, they just drop the color codes in the ad's (actually, i think the latest rendition actually saves the ad colors on their servers) so theres not much to do in reguards to "matching".

Gizmo #215066 07/01/2008 8:12 PM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Yah, I figured out the last bit. I think the way to address that might be to in essence create several ads and tweak the palette for the ads to the most common stylesheets in use on the site. Then again, I'm not sure I want to go through that much hassle either.

I figured that they had to be able to troll my site, but a lot of my content is "hidden" due login related levels.

So, while I gave the url to the login part, I just need to make sure that I'm giving them the right parameters for the dummy account I set up that should give them the requisite level of access to allow a proper content search.

Anyone got that handly sql statement I asked for? tongue

Thanks for the assistance Giz.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I didn't know the bot could login... Do you have any documentation on this?

Gizmo #215075 07/01/2008 11:53 PM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
It's under the Site Authentication portion of the Adsense management area. Click first on the Adsense Setup tab, then look for the Site Authentication tab.

Last edited by Carte Blanche; 07/01/2008 11:54 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Giz, when you're putting the link one in, where exactly are you putting it? Under the Header html include on the general options or how?

From my own site, my header includes all seem to be above the breadcrumbs and menu lines for the forums, but I note that yours are just below.

Did you put that into your header.tpl file?

Hmm...must've...I think I've reproduced it, by including the ad code into the header.tpl file at the bottom. So, if you did it by some other means, I'd be curious, but otherwise I guess I've got it cranking fully now.

I'm surprised how quickly the money accumulates, and after years of surviving by donations, I'm almost giddy tongue

Last edited by Carte Blanche; 07/03/2008 9:50 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yup, I shoved that bad boy into header.tpl at the bottom wink...

I wish it accumulated fast for me; we survive by donations, but the occasional "minimum" met does help with some costs...

We generally try to survive with the occasional web dev job (hey, people like me! lol)

Gizmo #215241 07/06/2008 9:55 PM
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Well, to be fair, I'm stoked that in the 6 days it's been running, I've made just under 30 dollars. If that holds up, it will cover a lot for me on an annual basis. And, I pretty much followed your formula of left side box, footer, post and link in the header.tpl, with a search box thrown in for good measure.

I still can't seem to get that login thing working, so I ended up making our tech advice forum which had been protected by access levels at least readable by the public so that it would help influence ad choice.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Lol, well, if you're ever in the market for a techie, keep me in mind wink hehe...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29