Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#215091 07/02/2008 5:10 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 33
S
newbie
newbie
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 33
We'd like to see the topic preview as a user selectable item instead of a global item. Many users use their iPhones and can't see the forums due to the preview window, yet others really like it. If it was a profile option, it would be great.
Thanks.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
old hand
old hand
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 583
I agree with that! I have it turned off, because too many members don't like it, but it would be nice to give them the option.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
so you are really talking about making the quick reply optional?

cuz the preview button comes with the quick reply..

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I'm not sure what they mean by "Topic Preview"...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 33
S
newbie
newbie
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 33
When viewing the forums (7.3.1) there's a popup window that shows a preview of the first post in a topic.

We'd like:
1- Make it optional per user rather than a global setting.
2- Show last post instead of first. Or an option there too.

In the CP this feature is called "Topic Preview" I think.

Last edited by SAPA IT Guy; 07/03/2008 6:35 PM.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 33
S
newbie
newbie
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 33
Sorry it's called "Topic Tooltip".

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
Ah yes, now i get it .. The easiest way to do that is hijaack one of the 5 extra user fields and then conditional on that.

I think i had to do that for a coupla sites. At least option #1 of yours.

Option #2 would be a little more work, but same idea -- maybe you'd grab another extra field or just combine those 2 options into one field.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
A user suggested 2 tooltips. One with the startpost when you fly over the topic title, one with the latest post if you fly over the username.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
i actually did 3 laugh

1 - first (hover over title)
2 - first unread (hover over the (xx))
3 - last (hover over username)

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
If I would actually use it on our forum I would do 4, PUH smile

4 - Display hail to the yarpee everywhere else on the screen.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
4 - Display hail to the yarpee everywhere else on the screen.
Great Easter egg...


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
If I would actually use it on our forum I would do 4, PUH smile

4 - Display hail to the yarpee everywhere else on the screen.


you forgot the ™ tongue


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 563 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)