Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That's a slippery slope as you could and probably would catch up a lot of valid users. Don't forget that some Countries have to use a rotating proxy server to be able to post due to their own Countries draconian approach to human rights control.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
anony proxy servers are a dime a dozen, if you really want a list, go to a proxy list provider wink... It'd be a waste of resources to ban them all, checks to see if they're bad or not would take forever lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ntdoc
That's a slippery slope as you could and probably would catch up a lot of valid users. Don't forget that some Countries have to use a rotating proxy server to be able to post due to their own Countries draconian approach to human rights control.
Agreed; AOL for example routes all their traffic through internal proxy servers; so by banning what seems like one or two users, you're likely banning quite more...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
I have a long long list of free emails I've banned and I add to it every time I get rid of another troll. Hasn't seemed to slow down our boards much.

[Linked Image from boards.collectors-society.com]
D
stranger
stranger
D Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
'eh I find it as this, they're being a menace and sending advertisements to my members who do not wish to recieve spam, so in ridding my community of spammers I'm saving them from harassment...

I would like your input with regards to this.

I am a Moderator at our site. I have recently discovered that a few members have put together another forum, and are quitely trying to lure some of our regular members away.

To be honest, I am very surprised at this. I totally didn't expect it.

At the same time, I am very disappointed. I am (along with my fellow mods) advising admin of this, and recommeding banning the original 2 who started the new forum.

The original 2 have been difficult to say the least for the past few months, but since they have been long time members, they have been given a lot of slack....too much it would appear.

I recently requested admin to ban one of them for a week due to starting trouble in the way of rumours, etc. Now I find out she is behind the start of the new forum and the recruiting of our members.

Can any of you give me advice as to how you would deal with this situation? I would very much appreciate it, and would take the iformation back to my admin.

Thanks!
~dolly

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I've been through this exact same thing.

They posted away merrily whilst all the time sending PMs to my members. I didn't ban them initially, due to advice I got from fellow members. They said it would make me appear in a bad light.

So they kept on posting, but I took away their PM rights.
They posted publicly about this, trying to make me look bad. I replied that I had received too many complaints of spam by PM to let this pass. I said that if they behaved, they could have their rights re-instated.

I have never reinstated their PM rights and I don't intend to. Why the hell should I, when they are intent on damaging my site?

I have had to impose short term bans on a couple of them (1 day or 1 week etc.) Usually they come back and complain (publicly), but basically I respond - play by my rules or bugger off!

Their site is failing; schadenfreude is a terrible thing wink

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by dolly
I recently requested admin to ban one of them for a week due to starting trouble in the way of rumours, etc. Now I find out she is behind the start of the new forum and the recruiting of our members.

Whoah, are you saying admin is starting a new board? Clearly, I don't understand what's going on here.

Can you elaborate? confused

D
stranger
stranger
D Offline
No, the admin isn't starting a new board.

The one I requested to be banned, she is the one behind starting the new forum, along with another member, and secretly trying to recruit members in the way of pm's.

Sorry for the minunderstanding...LOL

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Well then, I guess my previous comments stand. I can only speak from my own experience, I'm sure others here will add to the debate smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I would only ban the members if they where spamming the new forum; may this be via PT or normal topics.

Best bet is to be sure you list a warning publicly displaying your wishes (well, the ADMIN of your forum should do this) then if it persists ban them for violating a url policy (which would be defined in your warning).

Originally Posted by dolly
No, the admin isn't starting a new board.

The one I requested to be banned, she is the one behind starting the new forum, along with another member, and secretly trying to recruit members in the way of pm's.

Sorry for the minunderstanding...LOL

Put those members on a 1 hour flood control...
And then ignore any comments from them wink

Happened to me about 8 weeks ago..
I'm still in a shiny light wink

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
old hand
old hand
I've dealt with the exact same thing. Unreal isn't it when you call them on their activities, they try to turn the tables on you like you are doing something wrong?

Forget probation, ban the bums. Who wants people of that character as part of your site?

I tried to look at my situation positively. These type of copycat sites started by the disgruntled or unethical members, will attract similar people, thus getting them out of your hair.

Besides what has been suggested, you might also want to censor the URL so it can't be displayed in PMs. No mater how hard you try to keep them off your site, they may come back on under new accounts and resume their PM campaign.

Stick to your guns because you are in the right.

Finally, don't post what is going on your open board. It just gives them satisfaction that you acknowledged them.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Mitch P.
Finally, don't post what is going on your open board. It just gives them satisfaction that you acknowledged them.
Agree

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 721 guests, and 156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29