Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
We've been using Classic 6.4.0 for a long time with no problems, but it's time to join the 21st Century and make the move...

.. At least to the last released version of Classic. (And probably after that to Threads)

Looking for a guru who can do that upgrade smoothly while keeping our 100,000+ posts intact.

Please email me with a quote and phone number and best time to reach you (and what time zone you are in).

Thanks...

John webmaster@lighthousekeepers.com
site: www.lighthousekeepers.com

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Groupee offers an upgrade service if needed. It would be $149 to upgrade you to classic 6.7.3. $199 to upgrade you all the way to the latest UBB.threads version.

J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Of course, Rick!!! Shows how LONG it's been since we updated software; will submit a request in the next couple of days.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You could also opt to have a developer do the upgrade as well

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
Looking for work Gizmo?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Thelockman
Looking for work Gizmo?
Always lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
You could also opt to have a developer do the upgrade as well

Hi Gizmo-

One of my web development clients needs help, and based on your apparent knowledge of UBB Classic and your willingness to work, you seem like the guy for the job. The client has UBB 6.7.3 running on a co-located Windows 2003 server.

Recently, while I was developing an ASP web application for them, the permissions on the website "went haywire"..not sure what happened, but the ubb cgi and non-cgi folders were affected, and I've been attempting to reset them so that all functions of the board work...to no avail.

At this point, the ubb SEEMS to work fine, with the exception that none of the recent posts are reflected on the main page of the board. The only way to see any of them is to click the "Today's active posts" link. When I attempt to "rebuild/re-index" from within the cp, there is a bunch of text written on the page indicating permission problems within the ubb_lib.cgi when certain functions are called..

I've been removing and resetting permissions on everything ubb related for 2 days and can't get it to work right. My client has gotten very frustrated and is now wanting me to find someone to perform an upgrade to UBB.threads for him.

Ideally, you'd be able to suggest how I can get the board running again ASAP so as to keep his community happy, while simultaneously(or soon after) begin installing and modifying the new UBB threads board to aesthetically match the existing board prior to switching over to it.

The current board is here: http://www.myfootshop.com/discussion

If you have the time and are interested in tackling the project, please let me know at your soonest convenience.

Thanks,
Steve

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Steve, unfortunately I have 0 experience with permissions in a windows environment (IMHO web server should run Linux and Apache) to do much troubleshooting... Especially if we're dealing with IIS...

E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
Thanks Gizmo-
Well...crud....anyone else want to earn a buck?

Steve

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You should go and PM NTDoc, He's a Windows genius when it comes to these things wink

E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
Thanks Gizmo-
...done...
...but anybody else who might have a clue and want to earn a buck is welcome to chime in here...

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Well, Rick said Groupee would do it. Looks like a very fair price to me, and you know you'd be safe in their hands smile

$199 vs losing 100k posts (& stress etc.) = no brainer smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi embryo,

Well I don't have experience with the old 6.4 and CGI but if it's running on IIS on Server 2003 I'm sure I can probably assist you with it.

Is this your own Server or is it possible to Remote Desktop access with Admin rights on it, at least initially and then you can remove those rights after the work is done.

I'll reply to your PM and we can go from there. Though Groupee might be able to get you up and running as well since they should be conversant in Windows platforms as well. If not let me know.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I've run .classic on IIS for years (we had ubbdev.com on IIS for most of its formative years smile ). I've run .classic since the 4 series and .threads since the 4 series. I've upgraded .classic sites to ubb.threads many many times. If groupee can't get to it, pm me details about what you're wanting and I can do it.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
If your permissions can be set correctly it is a simple painless process to upgrade to threads. I have done it myself many times and I am no expert by any means. If you pay someone you will still need to deal with your host to correct permission issues or add mysql to your hosting package if they are incorrect.
Depending on how big your forum is all it takes is some time to backup and upload some files.
You can always do a trial upgrade and see what happens. Then pay for support if you have issues.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 868 guests, and 467 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29