Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#216963 09/12/2008 2:41 PM
F
F Offline
I'm clearly geek challenged. I just stare at Step 2 of the installation screen about the database. I went into control panel on my site and went to MySQL account maintenance screen. it showed the database WordPress created and thank goodness they didn't ask me to create one, or I wouldn't have a WordPress blog either laugh

I scrolled down and clicked the PhpMyAdmin link. It says "Server: Localhost via UNIX socket". It also has "Create new database" but it is not a link. Does that mean the site host will only create a database? I've got no idea on this and so I'll probably be asking questions ever "step" of the way.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A lot of hosts will only allow one DB; but most will make you create your db's through a control panel that they manage (and not allow it through PHPMyAdmin)

Also, due to "table prefix" you can install numerous scripts in one database (heck, even the same script multiple times)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #216972 09/12/2008 6:24 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
So basically, you don't need to make a new database smile

Just share the old one.

I don't use wordpress, but I bet all the tables look something like...

wp_data
wp_emails
wp_settings

etc. etc.

When you install threads, (as Giz says) the table prefix can be used to differentiate between scripts smile

Threads looks like this...

ubbt_ADDRESS_BOOK
ubbt_ADMIN_LOG
ubbt_ADMIN_SEARCHES
ubbt_ANNOUNCEMENTS

etc. etc. wink

So you just need to enter your database details (you must have had these previously, in order to create the wordpress blog) and threads will do the rest smile

BACKUP YOUR DATABASE FIRST!

driv #217092 09/18/2008 12:28 AM
F
F Offline
Hey, thanks, guys. Sorry it took me so long, but I'm in SE Texas and I still have no power after the hurricane, so I'm running on a generator. Yes, I have a gas-powered computer now laugh I got the database set up with the help of the host provider so it's all green on that front. Thanks again.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Good luck with that. You guys have had it pretty rough frown

driv #217117 09/18/2008 5:27 PM
F
F Offline
Thanks for the kind thoughts, driv. Still on the generator, but hughesnet satellite modem is working, so I have high speed. At this point I'm grateful for any small favor. It's weird, back in the day of the UBB classic message board, it seemed like there were a lot more calls for help on the community board. I'm either incredibly dimwitted, or there just aren't as many people installing threads as there had been people using the classic UBB. If I'm dimwitted, don't tell me laugh

I have a new post up "I spoke too soon" about my table woes and as soon as I get an answer on how to fix those two tables and add the missing one, I hope I'll have the thing working. Famous last words wink

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by flyboy105
It's weird, back in the day of the UBB classic message board, it seemed like there were a lot more calls for help on the community board. I'm either incredibly dimwitted, or there just aren't as many people installing threads as there had been people using the classic UBB.

No mate, you aren't a dimwit laugh You've just missed the point, a little. wink

Threads has evolved to such a degree that it doesn't need as much support as classic did. smile

That's all - no big deal smile

driv #217121 09/18/2008 7:34 PM
F
F Offline
Well, if it ever gets up and working, maybe I'll find out how little support it needs laugh Then I still have to import my old classic board to it, which I hope goes smoothly, but I can't do that till the table problem is solved. I'm patient on the reply, I run the generator for a few hours, shut it off, then run it again later in the evening.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 850 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29