Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
My hosting company is telling me my MySQL usage is high and one of the largest tables is the Private Message Posts. Is there a way I can limit the 'size' of PMs, not just the number per member?

Thanks for any help.

Rhaya
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,097
Likes: 1
What is the size of your database (your control panel for your Website should have a tool to check this)


Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
If you limit the number to say 100 then it will force members to delete old PM's before being able to accept new ones.

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
My current limit is set to 100 and I will be dropping it to 50. I'm more wondering if there can be a limit placed on the actual size of each PM thread?

Also, are PM's archived somewhere? maybe that's why the table is so large.

Thanks for the help.

rhaya

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
No way to limit the actual size of an individual PM, and they aren't archived anywhere.

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks. I guess it's just the size of the board and # of users (15,000+). Maybe I'll look into pruning away old accounts. That might make a difference.

Any other suggestions are definitely welcome.

Rhaya =)
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
In the UBB Control Panel it totals the size at @292MB for Data_length and 73MB for Index_length. (Posts =166MB and PM's=104MB) Hosting company says this is really high.

Am I missing any other way to reduce the size & efficiency of my board? Someone suggested for me to check into "Use Persistent Connections" feature. Does this help?

Thanks,
Rhaya

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
The current PM limit system enables users to bring down a board imho. With the limit on topics instead of actual messages, people can get BIG sized PM boxes. If they want to do harm, they can just add and add huge messages. It's not that I check the actual size of my database daily.

imho the biggest security hole in ubb.threads.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
I'm in the process of moving 3 boards on to a larger setup. I hope I do not have any problems with database sizes.

The server has a 3 Ghz processor with a Western Digital 1 terabyte HDD with 32 Meg of cache and a 3 Gig transfer rate. Also have 4 gig of ram installed in the server.


Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Can Rhaya try optimizing those tables and see if it fixes the issue?

The actual size being reported now isn't that large considering there's 15,000+ users already. You can drop the # allowed to 50 and that will limit the number they can add before pruning, but try the optimization as well.


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5
Is this a UBB feature to optimize the tables, or is that something you have to do inside mysql itself?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by optimize?

Rhaya

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
It's a mysql feature.

Code
OPTIMIZE TABLE table_name

Last edited by Gizmo; 10/09/2008 6:45 AM.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
It's also a feature in ubb.threads 7.3+ smile


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)