Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Good one i would agree.

I would love to see a Favorite Option.
Where you can Book Mark a Topic as a Favorite
so you know you can find it in the future.

Watched Topics / Forums Show too much. (Even with Filters)
If i see a post i want to use in the future let me tag
it some how, for future reference and easy to find smile

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Originally Posted by Mark S
I would love to see a Favorite Option.
Where you can Book Mark a Topic as a Favorite
so you know you can find it in the future.

Watched Topics / Forums Show too much. (Even with Filters)
If i see a post i want to use in the future let me tag
it some how, for future reference and easy to find smile

Good call! Gets my vote smile

Actually i have thought one that i have often needed when managing my forums...

Whilst you can merge/move whole topics, i'd really like the ability to create a new post/topic from part of an existing topic.

Quite often you get a topic that spawns off-topic discussions within the same topic. It would be nice to be able to hive certain posts to a new topic.

I've finished my ramble now and someone is bound to say that this already exists (i'm not running 7.3 yet :o)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can do that now; move the parent and it's off topic children; then assign other off topic children to the post ID it's to thread off of... All from the move topic option...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
how about a user Blog section similar to the photo forums.

Happy Customer !!!
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Did anyone mention Custom Islands?
I really could do with more than 10 smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Mors
how about a user Blog section similar to the photo forums.
I believe Rick has all but said this will without a doubt be in 7.4 wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
veteran
veteran
Limit indicator on the file attachment and image upload windows:

You can attach (x) files. Max size per file = (x)K

You can upload (x) images. Max size per image = (x)K

A very simple addition I would have thought. How many times do we see text instead of images in the gallery here for example or a download link instead of an inline image because people don't know what the file size limit is?

old hand
old hand
A way to manually enter subscribers (i.e., for people who want to pay by mail). There are always going to be people who want to pay by means other than PayPal. There needs to be a way to manage these accounts in CP.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
yah Mitch... i have about 700 users who need to be manually (or script) entered with expire dates too..

i'm gonna have to do a mod for this frown

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Heres another vote for a "manual add" portion for subscriptions (checks, money order, etc).

journeyman
journeyman
files/gallery enhancement.

By that I mean a listing of files I have uploaded under 'My Stuff' that I can 'manage', or visitors to my profile can see what files or pictures I have uploaded (hence a user album or gallery so to speak) of course depending on the visitors permissions.

Oh yeah, and the blogs of course.

Last edited by Fishtails; 07/26/2008 7:04 PM.
N
Naz Offline
N Offline
Hi - sorry for posting this earlier, not realizing that this topic was out there.

If no one minds me cheating a little bit I would like to list two features that come to mind that I would like to see added, apart from in my view the really good suggestion of adding a nifty WYSIWYG editor :

1). Allowing the admin to truncate any particular thread from any point without any kind of time limitations as to when admin can perform this process.

2). Whereby the admin has the choice to freeze one or more areas such that they are not scrolled when a user/member scrolls down the page. Areas such as header section, left and right panes/columns.

Many thanks,
Naz.

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Hi Rick,

Would it be possible to add a Unregister feature to ubb.threads? Our forum is located in Belgium and there we have laws that gives a member comlete control over his own personal data.
That means that if a member requests to have his data (e-mail address, name ....) erased, we do not have to only comply, but the member is supposed to be able to do that himself.
Therefor it would be better if a member can unregister him(of her)self.
You should compare this to email mailings. If you register for such a mailing, you have to be able (by law) to unregister as well. As the sender of the mailing you are even required to provide unregister information or a unregister link within every maling you send to that person.

Mike.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P Offline
Looking at the current changelog for 7.4, it looks like the searchable userlist feature has been added.

Veteran
Veteran
My Other is ---> Blogs

C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
I want the Daily Digest feature back.

When do we get the improved or old search features for topics and posts?

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
M
MLD Offline
stranger
stranger
M Offline
I concur with Ruben - improved "searchable word length". One of my sites has MANY products with 3 character names that cannot be searched for. I get hell for it. Please,please fix this one!
Margaret

J
Jim Offline
J Offline
3 character minimum search word length can be set through control panel, but you need to configure your MySQL installation to 3 characters (my.ini:ft_min_word_len=3 , default install is 4) in order to receive results.

J
Jim Offline
J Offline
My most desired feature request is Search functionality. Our test 7.3.1 installation has the same Search pull-down menu (no matter which category/forum) providing a global quick search field and link to the Advanced Search form. While the Advanced Search form does get the job done if a member selects specific forums or categories. I'm requesting a feature that would give administrators the option to enforce in-category/forum search. For example: while in a specific forum or category, the search pull-down will by default perform a quick search in the current forum or category, also providing a link to the Advanced Search for all categories and forums.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P Offline
Well, since the feature set of 7.4 is now locked, this poll is now for 7.5. From the poll options, we got the searchable userlist feature added to 7.4.

Still, the top feature I would like to see for 7.5 is public polls. Other features that I perhaps would like to see are a WYSIWYG editor, nested view, and thread subtitles. Similar threads may be okay, however, it isn't really a feature I use much.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 10/01/2008 5:59 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
WYSIWYG should be easy enough, TinyMCE (which everyone else uses) falls under the license we can use in threads; it's just a matter of retrofitting it wink...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'd like to be able to search the userlist by location or custom field too smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
P
P Offline
My top feature would be still a better search engine optimization smile

The current SEO urls are far away from perfect; on the contrary, the current implementation cause a lot of duplicate urls. Additionally, automatically generated description and keywords tags would be nice.

Veteran
Veteran
Auto update utility.

Upload 2 files onto your server. hit the run file and tell it where your board is located. Have it then check your current running version then decide if it needs to update it or install it completely. After this it would unpack the proper files after closing your board and then set up everything for you.

This would be great as sometimes, even I do this, people upload it overwrite the wrong thing accidental and crash the board and then have to start over.

UBB Manual

It would be great to have a built in manual for people to find out how to use most of this stuff with either a click on something to go to a complete manual or something. Most of these features are great but if no one uses them as if they do not know how to or are afraid of new things then the features are pretty much useless.

My people in my site have to sit and take the time to make special post's on how to use all the stuff or spend most of their time assisting others in learning how to use the stuff taking away from their experiences in my communities.

In Closing

This is a great software but very complex. In some cases it is easier to setup a server and configure it then figure out how to operate some of the functions of the software as you have no reference material to go to.

Veteran
Veteran
Private Messages

Another good idea is to have the PM read / unread like the UBB.Classic where you didn't actually have to open the PM to see if the other party had seen it or not.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Philipp
My top feature would be still a better search engine optimization smile

The current SEO urls are far away from perfect; on the contrary, the current implementation cause a lot of duplicate urls. Additionally, automatically generated description and keywords tags would be nice.

Hear here! smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
journeyman
journeyman
I am not a regular posted, but things I would like to see (they ere already mentioned so I am just adding a YES)

Rework the Poll setup and ability to change or modify if you mess up instead of having to start all over.

Limit Picture upload or display size. It really funks up a thread when someone put a picture in that is 1200 pixel wide or larger.

Val

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
1. Search Enhancement. Rewrite the search tool, add AJAX keywords (servers are fast enough now to handle this easily nowadays), make it less klunky. People are used to google where they don't have to enter in options like timeframe. This is the number one complaint by my users.

2. SEO. Forums are found through search engines in most cases. The better we are ranked, the more traffic we get, the more we make on advertising, the more we are willing to pay for message board software. Pretty simple.

3. Inline moderation. Make all moderation possible without a page refresh ie. deleting multiple posts. It's hard enough to get moderators and keep them happy.

4. Tags. Tagging threads can help with search, custom apps, and targeting advertising.

5. Facebook/MySpace-like profile page. The user profile page could really use some enhancement allowing users to have some customizable content, a personal blog, select photos. Possibly make a Facebook app. Again, the whole idea is to drive traffic to the forum.

I believe you guys need to start offering two products, a basic cheaper version for people who are just starting boards, and a more feature rich version for established boards that are revenue driven where people are willing to pay the extra money. If you implemented those 5 features my traffic would probably jump a good 25% and my revenue 50% and I'd be more then happy to pay you guys a couple more hundred a year.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by cascadeclimbers
I believe you guys need to start offering two products, a basic cheaper version for people who are just starting boards, and a more feature rich version for established boards that are revenue driven where people are willing to pay the extra money. If you implemented those 5 features my traffic would probably jump a good 25% and my revenue 50% and I'd be more then happy to pay you guys a couple more hundred a year.

Your ideas are where we're heading. But we'll still offer everything under 1 product wink

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Just as a bit of insight on what we'll be doing for SEO friendly stuff. Our URLs are pretty friendly now since when friendly URLs are turned on, however there is just a lot of duplicate links in various places, most of the side content makes it pretty rough for search engines to get to the actual content itself.

We can already identify who's a search engine and who's not as long as they are in the search engine list of the control panel. So, what we'll probably eventually do is when a search engine lands on the forum, they'll get served their own template. The side islands won't be shown, the duplicate links will be cut down, no reply options. It will somewhat look like an archive view probably, so it's easier for them to get to the topic content, instead of getting stuck looking at calendar days, or the list of top posters, etc.

This is just an idea currently, but it's something we'll be looking at.

That sounds good to me smile
Its good to have idea's smile

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
P
P Offline
I was not taking the side content. To give you an example, the main link to this current thread is
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/208471/Poll_Your_top_feature_you_want.html

Now if you go to page two and click on the link to page one the url is https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/208471/1.html

The whole thing is even getting worse. If you click the message icons on page 1 you will get the following links, all linking to the same page:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...l_Your_top_feature_you_w.html#Post208472
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...l_Your_top_feature_you_w.html#Post208473
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...l_Your_top_feature_you_w.html#Post208477
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...l_Your_top_feature_you_w.html#Post208482
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...l_Your_top_feature_you_w.html#Post208505
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...l_Your_top_feature_you_w.html#Post208512
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...l_Your_top_feature_you_w.html#Post208522
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...l_Your_top_feature_you_w.html#Post208527
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...l_Your_top_feature_you_w.html#Post208528

Same for the last post columns on the forums overview/topics pages.

I fixed nearly all problems on my forums, but it was a massive code modification so I am still running 7.3b5 crazy. I may redo this, as soon the final version of 7.4 is available and will document everything this time. As far I can tell you it seems to make a huge difference.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
That's one of the things I was referring to Phillip. An example of multiple templates.

The individual icons for regular users give them sort of a permalink directly to the post if they want to bookmark.

However, search spiders don't really need those, so if a search engine is detected, they would get a template that wouldn't have those links.

P
P Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
The individual icons for regular users give them sort of a permalink directly to the post if they want to bookmark
Yes, but it can be done without 10 new urls wink

Instead of:
Code
<a href="/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/208472/Re_Poll_Your_top_feature_you_w.html#Post208472">
you can do this:
Code
<a href="#Post208472">

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Well, that really doesn't make it bookmarkable as a permalink. The bookmark would rely on the actual post number in the topic, and not just the anchor. So, if you were to click on the icon and it just had the anchor, you're bookmarked URL might look something like this:

.....topics/208472/Re_Poll_Your_top_feature_you_w.html#Post208475

Post is still set to 208472. Anchor is 208475. Say you come back to your bookmark and 208472 has actually been deleted, but 208475 still remains. You'd get a message stating post cannot be found even though the post you're looking for is still there.

P
P Offline
Ok, I guess it works in my forum because I also changed the urls. Basically, my thread urls are always using the post number of the first post.

H
H Offline
Features much hoped for:
  • The ability to publish one or more selected posts on other websites without resorting to 3rd-party RSS software, publishing that will correctly display UBB codes.
  • An "Unsubscribe from email" link in every automated email that will work without forcing the user to login.
  • User blogs confined to a defined area (revokable permissions by groups).
  • The ability to switch off "Magic URLS" in the control panel (I currently hack the code to stop auto-conversion of text to clickable URLs at this time)
  • A wider selection of professional-looking CSS stylesheets/themes that comes packaged with the product.
  • Improved graemlins & post icons.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
I would like to know how many people login per day, how many posts I have per day. I have 8000 visitors per day, but only a few really posts, but I really want to know how many exact.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29