Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
enthusiast
enthusiast
I like this URL (in 7.2.2)
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/11/1
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/171341/gonew/1

But in 7.3.1 , URL becomes :
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/11/1/General_Assistance_How_Do_I.html

and
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...lete_all_PMs_with_Welcome_Su.html#UNREAD

Such these URL is spider-friendly in English-based forum , but my forum is Chinese , and Chinese characters are truncated to :
ubbthreads.php/forums/3/1/e_a_c_a
This is because UBBT doesn't support UTF8 URL now...

The tail "e_a_c_a" is meaningless , how to just disable this ? (I still need spider-friendly URL)

Or UBBThreads should enable UTF-8 URL ... (IE7 and FF3 and Chrome all support this )

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Unfortunately there's no way to chop off the titles in the URL without modifying the code. You're probably going to want to upgrade to 7.4 as soon as it's available. We spent quite a bit of time addressing quite a few things with multibyte characters for 7.4 including search engine friendly urls.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think ...
This forum , should change to UTF-8 encoding ASAP...
So that we multibyte users can test in this forum , finding problems prior to installation...

After upgrading my forum , I've found many problems regarding to multibyte characters... frown

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rick
Unfortunately there's no way to chop off the titles in the URL without modifying the code.
What if I want to chop off the tailing words , what codes should I modify (7.3.1) ?
Thank you.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
We can't change this forum to UTF-8 because we already have way too much data in the database that's iso-8859-1. Eventually we'll need to write figure out a way to convert.

Like I said. 7.3.1 definitely has quite a few problems with multibyte characters. Gardener had posted many issues that we worked on resolving for 7.4.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The make_ubb_url() function in libs/ubbthreads.inc.php is what handles all of the url creations.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The make_ubb_url() function in libs/ubbthreads.inc.php is what handles all of the url creations.
Thank you .
After commenting out the content of "if ($title)" (except $title = str_replace(' ', '_', trim($title));) . Everything seems works fine now.

enthusiast
enthusiast
We can't change this forum to UTF-8 because we already have way too much data in the database that's iso-8859-1.
I think it is not so hard.
My forum's topic number exceeds 1 million .
I changed my encoding from Big5 to UTF8 at topic number about 800000 , it just took a few hours.

iso-8859-1 to UTF-8 migration is almost painless , because there would be no character loss problem. Just dump the db and use sed to alter the table charset to UTF-8 and re-feed to MySQL , it should work.

Unike Big5 to UTF8 , there would be an extra iconv step to convert the character encoding.

Ubbcentral forum has about 220000 topics , it should be able to finish within one hour.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, 1 invisible), 692 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29