Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#219297 11/14/2008 9:09 PM
Can the search function/feature get looked into sometime for an improvement.

If you search this site for UBB and set it back for 4 years it comes up with nothing. Surely someone made a post with UBB in it.

My site is a software development site so we have all kinds of users searching for FTP, SSH, XML and those sort of terms.

So some improvements on this front would certainly get a lot of my users to stop telling me how bad the search function is.

Seems a version or 2 back the search was working better then it is now.

Last edited by Flyin V; 11/14/2008 9:09 PM.
Flyin V #219298 11/14/2008 9:31 PM
One thing that I ran across with the search is using "&" in the search terms.

On our board we have products and companies that have a ampersand in the name. For example "L & M Scotian" or "L & M Hide"

If you quote the search term it just stops at the & and throws an error, kind of a bummer.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, I agree the search really needs looked at; but i think that is included in the UI update.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #219305 11/15/2008 12:08 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yes, please smile

I attended a seminar last week in Nashville for the members of a photography website I help maintain - the first question for me from anyone who found out I was the 'tech guy' was concerning the search feature.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
In the current poll I voted for UI in lieu of blogs.
But for my group the search is the most important feature for them. They could care less about blogs or PM for that matter. All they care about is to post technical references and be able to search for them. The problem they have is my host setting is set for 4 characters(problem)and they can't search for numeric strings(problem) they want a more user friendly search screen and they want to search back to the end of time.
Just as others complain about UI and blogs are overdue the same is true about the search feature. In several posts I have made and others it was stated that the search needs to be addressed.

Not picking on Rick but the more features added adds the potential for more bugs which takes away a lot of his time to address enhancements to what we already have. Maybe it is time for UBB to consider adding additional resources to work on some of these projects.

One person can't do it all.
Support us, Fix bugs,add enhancements and add features.
I see Rick here answering our questions in the early morning hours ,late evening hours and on weekends. Especially when a new release comes out.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 639 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29