Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#219658 11/26/2008 5:23 PM
You know we all will miss a topic or reply here and there.
And you know the one's that have a problem are the most outspoken and flood the posts.
But what really ticks me off :
You reply and they never respond. Yea or nay. Then gone forever.
I try my best to reply to someone that helps me but I know I miss some sometimes.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Veteran
Veteran
LOL. I got use to it years ago.

Yea well I am kinda used to it also.
But what really gets me going is when I search this forum for a issue. Which takes a while. Only to find that a suggestion was never replied to so.
Did it work?!
Did it not work?!

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I totally understand fully.

I always try to let others know what fixed the problem if I have a question and get help. Currently Rick is looking at a problem on my board so I hope the resolve is known as so if it every happens again I as well as others can make due with the findings.

I admin and run several UBB's, great software too.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I take the cup half full approach. If we answered the question and never got a response it must have worked.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
What I love is when they post back "its fixed" and never come back; never tell you what's wrong, and never leave a fix for other users that may have the same problem in the future...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Exactly!!
I really love it when I spend an hour searching many many posts on a subject. Only to see:
Never mind I figured it out.

Blue Man Group
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Oh yeah, that's a pet peeve!

You see someone who has only 10-15 posts and each is a question.
No attempt to help others, no attempt at thanks.

I know in order to help someone you shouldn't look for rewards, but what's wrong with a lttle common courtesy?

veteran
veteran
Oh yes, and another classic example is something like "It's easily fixed with a bit of modification" but they never expand on what the 'modification' is. crazy

N
Naz Offline
N Offline
just some advice, I hope that no one takes it the wrong way.

A lot of the time when I look up a topic, the issue is answered using 98 % tech talk, and I am left wondering what $&$)^% am I suppose to understand from this.

It would be beneficial if it is addressed in a manner that people who don't necessarily have a technical background can make sense of it.

Again it's just some advice in and I hope that no one takes it the wrong way.

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
but they never expand on what the 'modification' is. crazy
Well, in defense on this; modding your forum's stock software (the UBB) does invalidate your license terms for support according to the license tongue... Plus, UBBDev is technically the place for mods :x...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
N
Naz Offline
N Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Well, in defense on this; modding your forum's stock software (the UBB) does invalidate your license terms for support according to the license tongue... Plus, UBBDev is technically the place for mods :x...

In that case what type of changes are acceptable, and how do you define 'stock' software confused and what type of changes would then invalidate ones license terms for support

P.S: also am i correct in understanding that if modifications are done by UBBDev then the license agreement would not be invalidated....

Last edited by Naz; 11/28/2008 12:10 PM.

Naz.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
"stock" software would be the vanilla install... Modifying as to "changing code".

I doubt you really need to worry, most people ask here vs the helpdesk anyway tongue

And mods are mods; UBBDev is just where we focus mod jobs at

Veteran
Veteran
Is UBBDev owned by UBB or is it a totally separate entity?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
UBB is a seperate entity

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline

What really ticks me of is people not being up-to-date wink

Nah, just a joke, but modifying the software does not invalidate your license anymore. But it used to be.

7. Modifications to the Software. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License and during the effective term only of this License, You may alter and/or modify the Software and You may distribute or share any code modifications made by You in accordance with the terms set forth herein (independent of the Software, which may NOT be distributed or shared). You agree and acknowledge that any alteration or modification of the Software is made and used at Your own risk. No support is offered by Groupee for modified software. The foregoing restrictions shall survive the termination or expiration of this License.

Not getting response to a helpful hand is a fact of life, so I learned to live with it. With a little frustration now and then of course, I'm only human laugh

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
can't remember what my licence says from wwwthreads days grin

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
modding your forum's stock software (the UBB) does invalidate your license terms for support

Originally Posted by blaaskaak
You agree and acknowledge that any alteration or modification of the Software is made and used at Your own risk. No support is offered by Groupee for modified software.
I didn't say invalidate your LICENSE, I said invalidate your license terms for support... Which is exactly what you quoted tongue

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by Naz
A lot of the time when I look up a topic, the issue is answered using 98 % tech talk, and I am left wondering what $&$)^% am I suppose to understand from this.

Guilty as charged, even though I really try not to. I even do it to my wife and it drives her crazy. She could ask me something as simple as why I didn't take the garbage out and I'd give some sort of complicated answer in response wink But yeah, I need to get better at giving more basic instructions/replies.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Rick
Guilty as charged, even though I really try not to. I even do it to my wife and it drives her crazy. She could ask me something as simple as why I didn't take the garbage out and I'd give some sort of complicated answer in response wink But yeah, I need to get better at giving more basic instructions/replies.
In casual conversation I'll answer 100% technical, then I'll dumb it down to a point where my 3 year old could understand what I'm talking about... It gets really amusing at times

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i asked Giz what time it was the other day, and he told me how to build a watch...

:shrug:

laugh

/me jokes @ the gizmeister wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Hey, it was an antique godfather clock... tongue

Gizmo that is a ticks me off for someone else not you. But I understand where you are coming from.
I do the same thing to my wife until I hear the infamous quote" I HEARD YOU SEVERAL TIMES,THE FIRST,SECOND AND THIRD TIME" That's my clue to keep my mouth shut and walk away. Or I am in deep SH##.

Blue Man Group
N
Naz Offline
N Offline
just to clarify if I were to get a modification done through UBBdev, would that invalidate my support agreement.

thanking in advance.

Naz.
I don't think you quite understand the relationship between UBBDEV and UBBcentral.
Here at Ubbcentral.com they are the vendor and release the official program for UBBThreads, They do not support any modifications to the code whatsoever as released. How could they. If you call for support they have no idea of what you modified to the programming. So when you ask for support/open a support ticket with a problem they can't figure out what is wrong because it is not stock code.
Ubbdev is a separate entity which has nothing to do with UBBthreads. Most of the people there are in fact members here and work as Beta testers for UBBThreads in fact a lot of what they have done with their modifications has been incorporated into official releases of UBBthreads. But what you find there is by no means supported by the UBBTHREADS here.
Bottom line is if you use something at UBBDEV.COM to modify the original program you downloaded here you are on your own as far as hoping that UBBThreads will fix it for you.
You would need to undo what you added from UBBDEV to get help from UBBThreads.

BTW This post really does not belong here but that's okay.

Blue Man Group
Originally Posted by Naz

In that case what type of changes are acceptable, and how do you define 'stock' software confused and what type of changes would then invalidate ones license terms for support

P.S: also am i correct in understanding that if modifications are done by UBBDev then the license agreement would not be invalidated....
Went back to a prior post to see this.
Again bottom line is if you modify any file at all not using the control panel then the stock software has been modified and not supported.

Blue Man Group
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Ruben Rocha
Again bottom line is if you modify any file at all not using the control panel then the stock software has been modified and not supported.

That's why I always test things a 2nd time with a stock version I keep online when I report bugs.

And now what really really ticks me off is me having to say you are right and I am wrong... laugh

I didn't say invalidate your LICENSE, I said invalidate your license terms for support...

You are right and I am wrong laugh

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ruben, I think everyones wives say that...

Yarp, no right and wrong, simply misinterpretation tongue hehe...

I've grown fond of the term "Vanilla Software" as "Plain"/"UnModified"/"Stock" Software

Veteran
Veteran
"Plain"/"UnModified"/"Stock" Software is no fun, LOL.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, but expecting a developer to support other peoples code is mean frown...

N
Naz Offline
N Offline
Understood - thanks...

Naz.
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Yeh, but expecting a developer to support other peoples code is mean frown...

It depends on what. I wouldn't dare to let Rick loose on my board to debug some stuff, but there are mods and there are mods.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just reply as needed and if the answer is too technical just ask and let the poster know you're not clear of what they mean and I'm sure most will try to reword it for you.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
Originally Posted by Ruben Rocha

That's why I always test things a 2nd time with a stock version I keep online when I report bugs.

And now what really really ticks me off is me having to say you are right and I am wrong... laugh

I didn't say invalidate your LICENSE, I said invalidate your license terms for support...

You are right and I am wrong laugh

I believe any changes to styles, language files (translations) and template files does not invalidate support here, unless that has changed in recent years. It's changes to the *.php scripts that make your forum less "support-y", but even then I know Rick goes above and beyond in helping sites operate as they should.

Modifications to styles .css files, template .tpl files and language files could be freely shared here and at ubbdev.com unless that's changed since 7.x

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
When the garbage truck comes they drop half of it in the street and I shred most of my paper documents. Then they sling the can in one direction and leave the lid on the road.
Sometimes I come home the can is in the neighbors yard, The lid has been run over by several cars and shredded paper and trash is everywhere. Or my neighbors trash in in my yard.
That's what really ticks me off!

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd love some validation on the templates; styles and language files however I don't really see a problem with (since we provide both here lol)...

When we have a better theme system in place I can totally see templates...

I hate to complain but here I am now doing the same.

I am starting to see a lot of posts here now in forums where they just don't belong.

And no-one is moving them to the proper forum anymore.
I am just as guilty as the next person posting a topic in the wrong forum on occasion. And it doesn't hurt my feelings when someone moves it.

I guess all the Moderators are just to busy to followup?

It's just I can't keep up anymore. Might as well just have one forum for everything.
I understand sometimes a topic will drift and I am guilty again but I don't see anyone chastising me for it. Which I think they should.

And by the way I am not trying to volunteer or replace a moderator.

Last edited by Ruben; 02/27/2009 3:34 PM.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I follow up on all reports; when I can get to it (which is usually just the evening)...

We do get a lot of "false" reports; like people trying to get our attention to read their thread (asif we wouldn't see it)...

Veteran
Veteran
I think Ruben just volunteered, LOL. Happy birthday and congratulations of volunteering, LOL, J/K.

Yea I know it's just that lately posts are all over the place.
As you well know in the old days posts were moved on a regular basis meaning they were out of context for that forum.
I am not talking about the notify option just moderation in general.

I guess this is just a sign of the times today. grin

Blue Man Group
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (domspeak), 337 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29