Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I am currently hosted on a shared server with Appliedi.net using Windows server 2003 and IIS6.My plan expires around October 2009. I have had very few problems with my host except for my current issue to enable spider friendly urls. Path_INFO will not work even though I have had them change my php.ini settings etc. In fact even though they may not be the lowest cost provider. They excel in Customer support. I can call or email them and I go directly to the actual techs not a circle of people that don't know what to do.
My dilemma is I have never been hosted on a Linux server. So I don’t know what I am looking for as far as server type (RED HAT) Options or Abilities in the control panel to set the options to fully support UBBThreads. I have always been on a windows server. So I don’t want to move Hosts and find my problem is worse that what I had.
I have seen many posts here for hosts but depending on the date I see people change their opinion on who is the best.
Currently I pay $23.00 a month for a small board MYSQL is around 20 MB.
So here is my list on what I am looking for:

• My first priority is to support all of Ubbthreads features and options.(Such as Path info, Image Magick and a versatile control panel
  • I don’t want to be cutoff for bandwidth or over quota issues.
  • I want at least 500 POP accounts.
  • Mail Iists such as Majordomo
  • I don’t care about ASP or FrontPage
  • Nice to have would be the ability to set the search string to three or less characters.

Bottom line is I am looking for the best host to install UBBThreads on And not need to post here that I have a problem with a feature.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Veteran
Veteran
If you like I will let you take one of my servers for a test drive for a week to see how you like a Linux machine.

Originally Posted by Thelockman
If you like I will let you take one of my servers for a test drive for a week to see how you like a Linux machine.
Thanks I may take you up on the offer. But as I said I got about a year to go for it to happen. And I have a lot of questions on the difference between IIS and Linux/Apache.
I will nag you when I get closer to deciding.
A test drive would be the best option. I am not aware of anyone that offers that. So that already says something in your benifit.

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I'm not trying to get your business as a customer, that is totally up to you. I just thing before you take on the task of going from one plat forum to another moving something like a UBB you might wish to practice it once or twice without paying an arm and a leg doing so, lol.

Besides this way you can totally work out the bugs and be good at it and have minimal down time for your community.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
going (migrating) from windows to linux isn't as simple as backing up the db and moving..

the main problem with windows is that the table names get put to lower case, so there needs to be a 'linux-ification' of the DB before moving it over.

this is totally doable and i should know, because i just did that for a 2.6 GIG mysql db eek

with that in mind, you will find that linux is more conducive and friendly to ubbthreads as you go on..

and this is coming from a guy who gets paid to be an ASP.NET guy and supposed to promote windows wink

IIS has it's place in the world, but i'd choose apache for ubbthreads smile

I was just reading some posts about the the lower case issue, What method/tools do you use to change it?

There are only about 60 something tables to change by my count or does the term mean something else such as data in each table.
I was a little confused on the subject because when I perform a backup using the ubb control panel. When I ftp to the folder each table name shows as lower case.
So it it just as simple as renaming each of the 60 something tables and capitalize the first letter say from ubbt_ to Ubbt_?

Blue Man Group
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
the ubbt_ vs Ubbt_ is just a configurable table prefix, so that shouldn't be an issue..

ideally, if you have a small enough DB, just move the whole thing over and run a query to rename all 60+ tables to what they should be to match the php calling code...

linux cares more about case..

in my case, i had 2.6gb worth of tables, so a rename wasn't in the cards.. i had to use a tool to run thru the .sql file and replace on my local PC...

then i bz2'd it, uploaded, unbz2'd and imported...

so you can do it 10 ways from sunday, just as long as you are aware of what you'll run into.. wink

I guess I just don't understand what I am looking for to update for the lower case issue.
I look at my backup 60 some odd files from the ubb control panel backup option and the very first file is "testubbt_address_book.sql".

If I edit the actual file I see at the beginning of the file "CREATE TABLE `testubbt_address_book`"

So to correct the case issue am I renaming the file name to Testubbt_ or do I need to edit the file contents to Testubbt.

Or did I miss the boat completely?
It sounds from you that the larger the file size the more work it is to migrate.

Blue Man Group
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
in your case, just do an import as lower case -- assuming your tables aren't huge..

then just rename the tables AFTER an import..

because the lower case isn't just for the create table.. but also for the insert into to populate the data as well..

teh upper/lower case comes into play after the table prefix..

so ubbt_address_book becomes ubbt_ADDRESS_BOOK

bada bing! smile

Veteran
Veteran
Pretty much why I offered him a place to do a trial run to work out all the bugs before he makes the complete move and finds his board down a day or two. All kinds of problems can pop up from Windows to Linux/Unix migration that you may not be aware of or think of.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
that's the only one i know of.. and i've done enough moves to have encountered them..

of course the paths change, but that's about it... and it's a wash for a linux to linux xfer anyways..

plus, you get the bonus of using imagemagick the RIGHT way too wink

Are there any issues when migrating to a new host with MYSQL.
When the new host is using a different version of MYSQL? Older or newer version is what I am talking about.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Not really; just dump the db info and the import it on the new system... loads easier if the new system allows SSH access tongue

The major issue is if the one system is Windows and the other Linux, as linux is CaSe SeNsAtIvE and windows is not...

Last edited by Gizmo; 12/01/2008 8:27 PM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by Ruben Rocha
Are there any issues when migrating to a new host with MYSQL.
When the new host is using a different version of MYSQL? Older or newer version is what I am talking about.

not really, but if you are going to put the effort into migrating, i'd make sure the destination is the latest:

mysql 5.0.51b
php - 5.2.6
apache - 2.2.8

no need to migrate to older versions... 2c

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
* mysql 5.1.30
* apache 2.2.10

Veteran
Veteran
What Sirdude, did they come out with an update since your previous post?

Perhaps make sure they put you on a new server every 6 months too as so you know you always got the latest technology. Make sure your paying those really cut through corporate prices as well, like $7 a month as well, lol.

Anyone have any feedback on hostgator.com?

Blue Man Group
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J Offline
HG has been okay for me, but I'm not currently running a forum.

--
Website Development and Management
www.jcswebdev.com
Oh So you are still alive and living.
Thanks for both replies.

Blue Man Group
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by Thelockman
What Sirdude, did they come out with an update since your previous post?

i just checked the versions and had no edit capability for the prior post (board settings here)..

i just rebuild apache / php and also do the upgrade myself, since i rent a dedicated box...

that, to me is the only way to fly..

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I agree with SD's comment on being able to upgrade ones self; thoug I'm on a VPS and can do the same tongue

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
VPS is same concept, where you 'have your own box' in a sense.. i just didn't wanna share with anyone!! tongue

hence the dedi route..

well, i DO share the box, but with someone i know well laugh

Veteran
Veteran
Not everyone can afford a VPS or a dedicated box and yes I agree this is the way to go in most cases. And I know hardly anyone can really afford to go the route I had went on my own. Sometimes I don't even think I can afford it either, lol.

If you ever get the chance to go to a dedicated server you will never go back.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Affording it is the issue tongue

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 686 guests, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29