Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 4
4
stranger
stranger
4 Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 4
I suspect that yesterday somebody got into one of the admin accounts on my forums and went into the control panel and messed with stuff, particularly unchecking the "Disable HTTP referer check." Anyway, I'm not sure what else he did but there is now an issue where unless you are already logged in, it won't let anyone login. My account is logged in so I can go in and see that all the users come up fine when I search them in the control panel, but if I go into a different browser where I'm not logged in, it won't let me login and will say "Login name/password not found" or whatever. This is happening for every user of the forum as far as I know. I even created a new account and then tried to login with that, but it again said Login name/password not found.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Particularly something that could be done from the control panel that would cause this? Because the guy only got into the control panel, so whatever change he made that is causing this would have had to be done there...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 411pabari; 12/13/2008 8:35 PM.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Not sure what version you have.
But if you can access to the control panel goto
Control Panel ยป View Admin Logs
Change the date to before the problem started and see what changes were made that will at least give you a clue on who and what area was changed.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Myself I have disabled the referer check due to users can't figure out how to enable ther internet security options that would not allow them to login. You might need to run the clear cache setting after changing it back to disabled.


Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 4
4
stranger
stranger
4 Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 4
I tried clearing cache but that didn't work. This is for version 6.5.2 by the way. All users remain locked out unless they were already logged in. If anybody tries to login, it says Login name/password not found...

Anybody have any other ideas?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
6.5.2 had a few security issues, so that could be coming into play. If you have something like phpmyadmin installed I'd take a look at your w3t_Users table, specifically the U_Password field and make sure that things look ok. It's possible if your forum has been compromised that they've ran some database queries to change things.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
Also, make sure everything looks ok with the cookie settings in the CP.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)