Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Addict
Addict
With all the changes from 7.2 to 7.3 and 7.4, is there an updated Administrators Control Panel Manual somewhere on this site?

I wish there was but no. With all the updates in recent years it is kinda hard to keep up with. I am thankful we have this interface to address such issues. I think the real problem is there are so many options to deal with now it is very difficult to produce a current manual as a new release comes up.
But I do agree it would be nice to re-produce a admin and user manual again for at least the 7.X series.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Addict
Addict
The one for Administrators under Documentation is definitely outdated since the major changes from 7.2 to 7.3 and more recently to 7.4.

Veteran
Veteran
It would be nice if Rick hired a technical writer to make a complete manual for both administration and users guide for this software.

Now I know it would cut down the traffic in the community but it would be nice to look up the answer and not post and wait.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
There is an admin UI update schedualed for the next version if I recall properly; so it'd be redundant for one to be made *right now* wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
Right, but what I was referring to is things like the styles editor. Man if you don't know exactly what your doing in there you can be so lost it wouldn't be funny.

That is just one example but there are other sections of the control panel that are so confusing it will make your head spin till you start playing around with it for a while.

I have a test board I use to actually do the style design and stuff as well as test upgrades and all that before I go to my live sites. Many of the users here do not have that ability and when I had first started using Threads it would have been nice to have something to refer to.

Follow?

Addict
Addict
I follow and am also in complete agreement.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
There is an admin UI update schedualed for the next version if I recall properly; so it'd be redundant for one to be made *right now* wink

No it's not, next version is always gonna be different, so if you follow that policy documentation will never be done!

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
With the control panel update, we're actually thinking of integrating the documentation. Maybe some type of general help for the page itself, and then a help link for particular items on the page.

Not sure at this point, but definitely the docs need to be easier to update and more up to date.

stranger
stranger
As a newly knighted Administrator to our Community Board, I must give a BIG "ME TOO!" to this. While the IT Overloard hasn't updated to 7.4.1, the documentation for 7.2.2 is a bit sparse. A lot of trial and error on my part to get the updated site to look right!

Jeffrey W. Ouellette, Assoc. AIA
Project Architect
Integrated Practice
Nemetschek Vectorworks

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
enthusiast
enthusiast
It would be nice to be able to learn "how to" make some changes here... but I'm really looking forward to figuring out what all of the new changes are!!! I upgraded three versions at once and I can't see WHY... except it allows me to have more islands. But what were the other NEW FEATURES? An admin manual would be a great way to find out.

---
I should have added that I'm scared to use the Subscription feature without some written instructions. I have a rule about taking someone's money. I want to know exactly what the rules/processes are before I offer that service. I sure like the idea, it's just that I'm too conservative to barge in and get someone's money wrapped up in an unknown situation.

--BIll B
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, the changelog does list what is added, fixed, and changed for each version; and are listed by version in the changelogs forum... It's a little basic on helping you learn about the new features, but a good place to start tongue

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, I've read the Change log a couple of times... but as you hint, sometimes you need a few more words in order to fully understand what it means.

I can tell you that the new permissions concept probably went a bit over the top. It has been very difficult trying to get all of the settings set properly. I still have a couple of Moderators telling me that they've lost some capabilities.

One thing that I WISH had been added, was the ability for a Moderator in a single forum to only have EDIT privledges for that one forum. They seem to have edit privledges for ALL of the forums that they belong to. I'm referring to MEMBERSHIP privledges that they can edit for OTHER members.

--BIll B
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
One thing that I WISH had been added, was the ability for a Moderator in a single forum to only have EDIT privledges for that one forum. They seem to have edit privledges for ALL of the forums that they belong to. I'm referring to MEMBERSHIP privledges that they can edit for OTHER members.

So you mean being able to add people to a group that has access to that forum, or something different?

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 1,018 guests, and 215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29