Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Hi

I have done something stupid it seems. I wanted to put a copyright sign on the footer of my ubb.threads 7.2.2 and tried to do this by editing the footer template. I had two browser windows open and changed the html in the template editor in the ubb.threads control panel after changing the permissions on the footer template file in my ftp program.

It all saved fine, and when I loaded the page in the non control panel browser the forum looked fine. I then went through the template and changed the class of the other text on the footer bar from whatever the default was to 'small' which was the default text class for the ubb.threads link in center of the footer. A message came up at the top of the template editor in the control panel saying I have to change that using the style sheet or some such thing...then when I changed what I changed back to what it was...the whole board crashed.

I couldn't even go back using the browser back button...all I get is a white browser window frown No ubb.threads forum page works now.

I have gone back into my ftp and changed all the permissions back on each file and folder to what they used to be...I also copied another copy of the footer.tpl file into my /forums/templates/default/ folder but that hasn't changed anything either.

I am at a loss and desperate to get my forums back online as they are just taking off really well and I have killed them...and stupidly have gone well beyond my ability level and am pretty sad about all this...

Please help!!

Last edited by speedwest; 01/15/2009 4:51 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Can't you re-upload your template files you had downloaded from UBB by way of FTP?

S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
I have done that...and I still get the white screen whenever I click any link to my forums! frown

S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Thanks to Rick, I have my problem solved. The permissions were set incorrectly. Thanks Rick smile

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
speaking of which.. it SURE would be nice to add an FTP layer to the I/O part of threads or at least to just the Cpanel, where we check permissions..

that would then allow a one-click checkup and an auto-fixing button kinda dealio...

don't know how many times i've seen 'it was a permissions thing' kinda answer to fix a problem on a board..

wordpress and joomla do this and it works very well.. you very rarely see the term 'CHMOD' in any problem threads...

2c

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is this working now? The guest forum comes up for me, but not sure if that was an issue or not.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
What SD mentioned will be coming probably the next major version after blogs. We'll have an FTP layer in the installer/upgrader and in the control panel to check/set permissions.

S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Originally Posted by ntdoc
Is this working now? The guest forum comes up for me, but not sure if that was an issue or not.

Yes, only the guest forum is visible to non members smile

It is all working now, except I can't access the board's control panel! It is white screen the same as the whole forum was before...so it's a permission problem also I think! smile No doubt someone will help again...I have submitted the problem to Rick smile

S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Thanks to Rick all is well again! I have today successfully upgraded to 7.4.2 I followed to upgrade guide carefully and all worked really well and did as it was supposed to smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29