Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
K Offline
Hi...

I have a backup of the database of an old UBB Threads version. I think it dates back from around 2004 - 2005. I was wondering how I could restore this to a UBB.Threads installation and make it searchable (but read-only) to a couple of people who will be working to convert this into an FAQ.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Check the version number, that will help a lot (possibly a ubbt_version table).

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
K
K Offline
Ok - I don't see ANY verson number as I only got the SQL files. It's a backup from 24 dec 2003 though. Any chance of anyone knowing which version this would be? And pointing me to an install file of that version? I presume importing it into my current latest version wouldn't be possible... smile

Last edited by Kayjey; 02/16/2009 4:47 PM. Reason: date wrong
K
K Offline
Found it! Version 6.4 - December 25, 2002. Now I still need a package somewhere...

Last edited by Kayjey; 02/16/2009 4:47 PM. Reason: date wrong
Version 6.5 is available in the members area.
If you have access you could try that but Rick is probably the one that can confirm it will work or not.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
What I'd do is grab 6.5 from the member area, install it like it where a new forum so it's a working install, dump the database, restore the old database, run an upgrade, then you should be able to run it with the old database (as it would be upgraded to 6.5)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
K
K Offline
Well... did that and I've come across MANY things that went wrong. But in the end - I managed. Had to manually alter some tables and scripts in the files for the upgrade as well as the original coding, but it's working now. Off to upload and test on the online server...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yes, there were a few steps between 6.4 and 6.5.5 smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Figured the upgrade script would have been able to do it all fine from within v6... :shrug: never used UBB.T in v6 lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i took a 6.4.1 to 7.0.2 (import) then to 7.4.1 upgrade..

worked fine..

K
K Offline
I actually managed to do a restore from UBB.Classic too which went a lot smoother. Still, there are some errors in the import scripts. For example when no categories are set, it will not fetch the default 'general' category ID and therefore the import of the Forums will fail. This issue is also present in the UBB.Threads 6.5.5 importer.

Apart from this, I managed to import some older 6.x databases into the 6.5.5 version, but I do NOT succeed in upgrading it to 7.4.2 after that. Everything works EXCEPT for the post import (oh and the 'last post' for each forum), which failed / stopped (no errors) after say 200-odd posts (of the 120.000 or so). It was really late so I just restored the 6.5.5 version and have that running.

I've been longing for another feature though... make it so people can log in and see their messages or any extra Forums they are allow to see, but not actually change anything (add posts, change profile, update this and that). So people would just be able to log in and read. In this restored archive it would mean they can virtually log in and see their old messages (nostalgia... hah...), but not do any changes to this 'dead' Forum. For now I just crippled the login code so login is impossible.

K
K Offline
Oh and if anyone would have an idea about the failing post import, it'd be great.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Kayjey
I've been longing for another feature though... make it so people can log in and see their messages or any extra Forums they are allow to see, but not actually change anything (add posts, change profile, update this and that). So people would just be able to log in and read. In this restored archive it would mean they can virtually log in and see their old messages (nostalgia... hah...), but not do any changes to this 'dead' Forum. For now I just crippled the login code so login is impossible.

I have something like that running as an archival forum.

I run a copy of ubb on another server, which has some template alterations not to show postcount, titles etc, and a different set of permissions. userdata is copied over every hour, so any change they do make gets lost.

Any old topic that hasn't been used in the last x days is automaticly transfered over.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29