Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#222506 02/17/2009 12:01 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
So there were a lot of changes from 7.0 to 7.4 which I recently upgraded to. I just noticed that if a user is not logged in he can still view the main forum list as well as the post lists in each forum. They can't view the actual posts though. In 7.0 I recall that unless a member was logged in they could not view ANYTHING.

Is this right? My forums are restricted and you must be an approved member to see anything, well, that is how I used to have it. There are several different member groups and I have edited them appropriately... not sure what Guest is supposed to be but I set all Guest permissions to 0 and no change. Am I misinterpreting this?

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Just looked and I get the same thing not logged-in. If 'Can see forum' is set to '0' for any given forum, then it should not display for them.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/forums/admin/forumperms.php

enthusiast
enthusiast
Okay, I understand that as you explained. I am ASSUMING that the group "Guests" would be anyone that is not in any of the existing or custom groups that I added. I have Guest permissions set to "0" for just about everything, including "can see forums" yet when I am not logged in I can see the forum list and post lists in each forum. I don't think that should be.

Webmaster by night! cool
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Do you have "teaser forum" checked for any of the forums?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh wow. No Rick, I didn't have any teaser Forums. I had set my Forum Permissions from the left menu in the CP and performed a mass copy... I thought I did anyway. I just went into Forum Settings then clicked on Permissions on the right and reset everything from there. I tested it and now you see nothing unless you are logged in. I suspect I screwed up in my first attempt at a mass copy of permissions as I don't see how there could be any difference in how I get to the permissions page. It's the same page right? blush Oh wow!

Webmaster by night! cool
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Just a reminder, search engines will not be able to index anything that a guest cannot see.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DLWebmaestro
Just a reminder, search engines will not be able to index anything that a guest cannot see.

Good! Added bonus in my opinion. My forums are not open to the public so I don't want or need them crawled or indexed.

Webmaster by night! cool

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
4 members (Nightcrawler, Outdoorking, Ruben, 1 invisible), 872 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29