Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#222734 02/20/2009 4:27 PM
D
D Offline
If I upgrade my old Classic forum to Threads, what happens to member #1 (me)?

DonB #222735 02/20/2009 4:30 PM
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
You become member #2. Member #1 is reserved for technical stuff like anonymous posts.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Yarp #222736 02/20/2009 5:06 PM
D
D Offline
So what happens to number 2? Do all members shift up by one?

Probably not a big deal for most places, but unfortunately I built an item years ago that is the most popular thing on this particular website, and the numbers are tied to the member number. Thousands upon thousands of links out there on websites going to particular members. Site is http://map.datastormusers.com and one of 4 permanent links to my info on the site as an example is http://map.datastormusers.com/user3.cfm?user=1

It is even worse in that most of the third-party tools that allow posting to this map use the forum cookie to identify the member frown

DonB #222737 02/20/2009 5:22 PM
You know, that is a good question.
I never paid attention when I upgraded from classic a few years ago. I was to involved with that the upgrade worked to notice what happened to the other member numbers.
Looking at my member database it looks like your assumption is correct.

Looks like you are using mappoint for the one item above.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Just at a quick look how it works. It looks like the map would update as users report in so that would be a headache for a short period of time as people report in. Because they would have to login again to establish a new cookie. But I would be more concerned on the cookie issue . How it is handled now and how it would be handled with threads!

Blue Man Group
D
D Offline
You are correct that I'm using mappoint. The cookie differences would be a headache in rewriting utilities, but a shift of number would be impractical in the extreme. If someone has a web page with hundreds of links to their location, as many of my members do, all of those links would now point to someone else. Most use it in e-mail signature lines, and of course in forum signatures.

The requirement to join the forums in order to show up on the maps has been very helpful in making sure that the maps don't get spammed. I would hate to break the link between membership numbers and map id numbers.

About 2500 of my members have placed themselves on the map at one time or another - many drop off when they aren't actively travelling.

DonB #222740 02/20/2009 5:59 PM
In the stock code there is no getting around the change in member number. Maybe Rick or one of the beta testers can offer some special installation.Might cost a few but it looks like that is what you need. They may for instance just bump you to a new member number and let all the others stay as is. I just am assuming.
Because member 1 as stated is reserved for pretty much orphaned posts.

Blue Man Group
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Except for user #1, which is pretty much reserved, it would not be an extreme difficult job to renumber everyone back to their old member number in threads.

Most time would go in being careful, not the actual doing of it. You would need a little modification in the migration tool to not throw away the temporary tables it uses for the migration. There is table called ubbt_memtemp used to remap users from old to new. You could use that to get the usernumbers back again.

As far as the numbering goes, by default it starts with #2, and just numbers up. So depending on the number of deleted/missing users, the new member# can differ a lot from the original.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yeah, not a real slick solution to this one and it would definitely take a custom import. Someone would have to be put to the back of the pile. Meaning, either your user #1, or some other early user would need to be given a user number at the very end and then the importer modified for this so it doesn't increment everyone else.

The classic_import.php script would be what needs modified. If it's not something you're paricularly keen of tackling yourself I'm sure there are a few people here that could assist including myself in my off-time.

Rick #222756 02/20/2009 8:17 PM
Yep it looks like he has a lot and I mean a lot of archived static pages built based on member number, It would be a monumental task to try to rebuild them because a member number changed by one or two.

Blue Man Group
D
D Offline
No static pages (there are only 7 pages that display all of the maps), but it is the static jpg map images (4 for each member) which are named according to member number. They are rebuilt whenever a member moves, and are also rebuilt each night (because others shown on a map might have moved).

If I do decide to migrate I will probably tackle it myself. My member #2 was last active in July of 2004, so I doubt he would know or care if I usurped him smile

DonB #222758 02/20/2009 8:33 PM
Okay I saw all the jpg files and assumed since some are many moons ago they are static.

Good Luck.

Blue Man Group
D
D Offline
It doesn't matter a lot in terms of this discussion, but I'm curious for an example of an image that is "many moons ago"?

DonB #222761 02/20/2009 8:42 PM
Well just clicking a few of the several hundred or so images some seem to be dated a month or more. Thats all. So I assumed they were static. But if somebody did not move say was in a campground for a while I guess that makes sense too.

Blue Man Group
D
D Offline
I guess you are referring to the "last updated" date on the data? I used to expire all data at 10 days, but last year I began to allow members to choose an expiration between 5 and 30 days, and those who don't expect to move soon often choose the longest possible. They get an e-mail one day prior to expiration.

The images themselves are rebuilt as I said, every night, whether they've moved or not.

DonB #222763 02/20/2009 8:58 PM
That could be it. I can't even find my way back to the jpg list again to verify where I was. I must have stumbled on it by accident. I seem to recall a hover that stated member comments where and when they were.

Blue Man Group
DonB #222765 02/20/2009 9:28 PM
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by DonB
If I do decide to migrate I will probably tackle it myself.

Be sure to modify the importer not to throw away it's temporary tables. Sort of, if imports goes wrong, you could always fix up the user numbers afterwards.

Yarp #222770 02/21/2009 12:15 AM
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I have a fantasy drum corps league section of my Website that I've scripted and tied to my UBB user database. My fantasy corps were each tied to their respective owner by their member number in the UBB database. When I updated from UBB6 to UBB7, this was all thrown out of wack, so I wrote a little script to solve the problem. I know it's not exactly what you need, since it's scripted exactly for my purpose and my purpose only, but it's the same idea (comparing user numbers from one version to the next and changing them accordingly.) Maybe you can get some use out of it and it can at least give you some ideas or work as a starting-off point.

Anyway, just remember that running any sort of script like this is dangerous if it doesn't do exactly what you want it to do, so test it on an offline database and be sure to have a backup of your online before you run it against it.

PHP Code

<?php

if(!defined("UBB_MAIN_PROGRAM")) exit;

function &page_xfix_gpc () {
	return array(
		"wordlets" => array("fdc"),
		"admin_or_mod" => 1,
	);
}

function &page_xfix_run () {

global $html,$myinfo,$smarty,$user,$in,$ubbt_lang,$config,$forumvisit,$visit,$dbh,$var_start,$var_eq,$var_sep,$var_extra;

extract($in, EXTR_OVERWRITE | EXTR_REFS);
	$Number = $user['USER_ID'];

require ('scripts/xfdc.inc.php');

$query = "
	  SELECT COUNT(*)
	  FROM  f03_FDCcorps
   ";
   $sth = $dbh -> do_query($query);
   list($totalcorps) = $dbh -> fetch_array($sth);
   $dbh -> finish_sth($sth);

for($i=0;$i<$totalcorps;$i++){

$query = "
			SELECT t1.C_UNumber, t1.C_CNumber, t2.U_Username, t3.USER_ID
			FROM f03_FDCcorps AS t1, w3t_Users AS t2, ubbt_USERS AS t3
			WHERE t1.C_CNumber = '$i'
			AND t1.C_UNumber = t2.U_Number
			AND t2.U_Username = t3.USER_DISPLAY_NAME
			";
			$sth = $dbh -> do_query($query);

list($oldunumber, $corpsnumber, $username, $newunumber) = $dbh -> fetch_array($sth);

$userrow[$i]['oldunumber']	= $oldunumber;
			$userrow[$i]['corpsnumber']	= $corpsnumber;
			$userrow[$i]['username']	= $username;
			$userrow[$i]['newunumber']	= $newunumber;

$dbh -> finish_sth($sth);

$query = "
				UPDATE f03_FDCcorps
				SET C_UNumber = '{$userrow[$i]['newunumber']}'
				WHERE C_CNumber = '{$userrow[$i]['corpsnumber']}'
				";
				$dbh -> do_query($query);
			}

return array(
		"header" => array (
			"title" => "Fantasy Drum Corps - 20{$fdcyear} Season",
			"breadcrumb" => <<<BREADCRUMB
 <a href="{$config['BASE_URL']}/ubbthreads.php{$var_start}ubb{$var_eq}cfrm">{$ubbt_lang['FORUM_TEXT']}</a>
 &raquo;
 {$ubbt_lang['LOGIN_PROMPT']}
BREADCRUMB
		),
		"template" => "xshowseason",
		"data" => & $smarty_data,
		"footer" => true,
	);

}

?>

C_UNumber was the user number which was tied to the UBB user number and C_CNumber was the fantasy corps' number.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, one thing to keep in mind is that whatever scripts you're using now will have to be updated... there is a huge amount of data changed from UBB6 to UBB7 (reguardless of what you came from, ubb.classic or ubb.threads); this is especially important when we're talking post UBB.Threads 7.3 with the new permission matrix (makes it so even mods made for UBB.T7 had to be recreated)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #222774 02/21/2009 12:30 AM
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Yeah, I had to dig through dozens of custom PHP scripts last year and update them to work with 7. Upgrading the template files was the most laborious part, due to the switch to smarty.

Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps there should be a site devoted to custom scripts that interact with UBB and other applications. I do not think UBBDev would be adequate as it is more of a modify the UBB not attach the UBB to other software type deals.

Something even more simplistic then UBBDev as in most cases that site can become very confusing as when the UBB changes the original thread is just amended not a new thread started for modification for a newer version of the UBB hack.

P.S And no I'm not going to even offer this time as last time I made such an offer for a specialized site like this some spammer wanted to insult me on this board.

Last edited by Thelockman; 02/21/2009 8:00 AM. Reason: Added the P.S. to be a smartass.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think UBBdev would be more than adequate as it's a development forum...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps it could be reorganized and threads with mode not span across several releases with a mod then part of a mod rewritten a few times through several releases making it so confusing that you just give up even trying to understand it.

Would be better if the entire mod file was re posted in full not just well change this line to this for this version then a few post's later the same thing. Would be easier to build a rocket step by step with some of these updated many time mods.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I always re-post my mods in full when I make changes for new releases. I plan to update the instructions for my mods once 7.5 goes Au.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, according to the license, we can't redistribute stock files; hence why it's "add this, move this" as it'd be against the license to just share pre-modded files...

Gizmo #222791 02/21/2009 11:50 PM
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Well yeah. I meant that I update the entire "add this, move this" instructions instead of just making a post saying bla bla lines need to be changed to work with Version such and such.

Veteran
Veteran
I think everyone that makes modifications and additions knows the license agreement. What I was talking about for example Multiple Identity Detector. This thread is so confusing by the time you get to the end of it you don't know what your doing.

Perhaps when it was first written it worked but then you have to read two more pages and make many modifications to the hack and hope you didn't miss anything so it works.

The proper way would have been to make all the changes for each upgrade in a separate thread having the entire hack per UBB ver in a single thread not spanning several UBB versions in one thread.

For someone who is not a programmer and just wants to add a cool hack this is frustrating and most likely will not work for them as it is laid out in that particular thread. The result is people who do not return to your site and decide they do not wish to try to add hacks or learn how to make modifications to their site or message board.

If your not understanding this then I totally am wasting my time trying to explain it to you.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I completely understand what you are saying. It can get frustrating when a code change you need for a certain version is buried in the thread somewhere.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Thelockman
The proper way would have been to make all the changes for each upgrade in a separate thread having the entire hack per UBB ver in a single thread not spanning several UBB versions in one thread.
See, I understand but disagree... I do maintain some of my mods on seperate pages for some versions, and it's quite a chore trying to go in and make sure each thread gets updated when you make a simple update... Especially for some that are for way older versions...

Now when it's one thread, and one parent (original) post to update, it makes it far easier to address any changes for each version...

I would agree that the original posters should update their initial post with new information defined in the threads; it'd make it far easier for new users... But they should have been doing that as changes occour in the threads (I update my mods whenever a new issue arises so users don't need to bother reading through the pages)

Gizmo #222844 02/23/2009 11:23 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I would agree that the original posters should update their initial post with new information defined in the threads; it'd make it far easier for new users... But they should have been doing that as changes occour in the threads (I update my mods whenever a new issue arises so users don't need to bother reading through the pages)

Agreed, the original post is supposed to always contain current code/instructions. For the mods I've worked on I update the original post and give a running changelog there too.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29