Print Thread
Hop To
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
MySQL - 4.1.22
PHP Version 4.3.11

I installed 7.5 last night and today I have a few hundred kbs of MySQL error logs. Also, forum features appear to be intermittently slow.

They are predominately like this...
(I guess 95% relate to showprofile.inc.php)

I asked my host if there was any issue with the MySQL server and there isn't. All the other scripts on my site using php/MySQL appear to be ok.

PHP Code

Script: /-----/forums/scripts/showprofile.inc.php - Line: 418
select t2.USER_AVATAR,t2.USER_AVATAR_WIDTH,t2.USER_AVATAR_HEIGHT,t3.USER_DISPLAY_NAME,t3.USER_ID,t4.ONLINE_LAST_ACTIVITY,t2.USER_MOOD
from ubbt_ADDRESS_BOOK as t1
left join ubbt_ONLINE as t4 on t4.USER_ID = t1.USER_ID,
ubbt_USER_PROFILE as t2,
ubbt_USERS as t3
where t1.ADDRESS_ENTRY_USER_ID = 272
and t1.USER_ID = t2.USER_ID
and t2.USER_ID = t3.USER_ID
- Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Any thoughts?

Even though your host states no problem. I would be highly suspicious of "Lost connection to MySQL server during query"
But for the rest of it. I noticed when I upgraded to 7.5 I had similar errors other than the connection issue. I recall about 4 entries but I believe a different line.

Call it coincidence but when I enabled the profile comments. The errors did not return.

To your question about slow I did notice at first that viewing profiles seemed to stall a little but not now. But if you are having Mysql connection issues, that would slow down everything.

But in any case I think this should be in the Bug forum.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I didn't post it in the bug forum as I figured that if it was a bug it would have affected others (and there didn't appear to be a more appropriate forum).

Call it coincidence but when I enabled the profile comments. The errors did not return.

I'll have a look for this smile

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
when I enabled the profile comments.

Can't see the wood for the trees... Where is this?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, the benefit of the error logging is it blatantly tells you the problem in the error message; if you're loosing connections to MySQL it's generally the MySQL servers fault tongue

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Cheers Giz - I'll get back to them.

Where's the enable profile comments?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Good question; I'm not sure... I figured it'd be in "Profile Settings" but it's not lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Found it...
Master Settings -> Feature Settings -> General -> Enable Profile Comments?

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
that's a very inefficient query.. just from an SQL geek's standpoint..

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Sirdude
that's a very inefficient query.. just from an SQL geek's standpoint..
Don't know where it's coming from - but my error log file is full of these queries.

There are hundreds of them in there this morning and it's just 9am.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Anyone know if this query used in 7.3?

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I removed top posters, who's online, and new members from the portal in case that was what was causing the error - but the log file is getting bigger and bigger. frown

Another thing. When I submitted the changes (above) to 'portal layout' - The page hung for several minutes - during which time the forum was not accessible.

It does this each time I click on submit.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Driv, can you PM me or open a ticket with both admin info and ftp info to your site?

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Thanks Rick - PM on its way.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Odd. I can run that query from the SQL command window and it comes back right away. I added an index on the entry id, which made it even quicker.

Debugging the showprofile page and it definitely hangs on that query. Run a show processlist while it's hanging, and it's not showing that query at all.

Definitely getting hangs in other places as well, like you said, even submitting a control panel update. I tried doing one where the only SQL query it does is add to the admin log table and that's hanging as well.

So it doesn't necessarily appear to be that query. It hangs when I try to bring up the database tools like in the control panel as well. Right now it's hanging when I try to even bring up the control panel page.

Do you have anything like phpmyadmin installed?

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
Do you have anything like phpmyadmin installed?

phpMyAdmin details sent by pm smile

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ok, I don't necessarily think it's just that query. It seems to randomly hang anywhere (some places seem to hang more consistently). While it's hanging I can run queries through phpmyadmin just fine (even then My Buddies query).

Odd thing is, even if it's hanging in one tab. I can open up another and still get some pages to load up, even one that hung before.

I can't think of any changes in 7.5 that would cause this. Like you said, even trying to submit a control panel page (one that only adds to the admin log) might end up hanging.

Normally, if it's a query causing issues, when you look at the processlist, that query will be listed. I'm not seeing it at all, the processlist is normally empty. Catch a query once in a while, but disappears from the list quickly as it should.

Will check a few more things that I can think of.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ok, definitely looks like going to need to contact your host on this. If I close my browser completely, and then try to go directly to a user profile *sometimes* I can get it to come up. Sometimes it will still hang.

When it's hanging, I've tried added debug code as the very first line to the main ubbthreads.php script, where all it should do is print out "Debugging, back shortly." and then exit. I can't even get that to appear, so it seems like it won't even execute the php script at all when it hangs.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
ok - what should I be asking/telling my host?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
That's a good question. Normally I can pinpoint it down to something in particular. With this, I really can't. It doesn't really appear to be MySQL as that seems to be running fine even when it hangs. It doesn't seem to be any script in particular. I can click on a link and 2 out of 3 times it might load fine, and the rest it might hang.

SSH access might make it easier since you could actually watch the server processes and see what's going on while it's hanging. Maybe they can look into that.

Are you on a regular shared plan or some type of VPS?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I can't really rule out that it's not something with the MySQL server either. It's possible that when it hangs, it's trying to make the MySQL connection, which would be why it doesn't show up in the processlist.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I'm on a regular shared plan and don't have ssh access.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
So, probably going to be at their mercy in how much they want to assist.

A bit more info from my earlier post. If I close my browser and visit a profile direcly by pasting into into my address window sometimes that will come up. It will never come up if I click on it from a link.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Yes, I noticed that. Sometimes you can click on a link 2-3 times. It's almost as if you have to 'catch' it, to get it to work.

Yet everything was fine until the upgrade confused

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yeah, I see that things started happening since the upgrade, which is why I've been trying to see if anything was added that might be causing the issue.

What I'm seeing however it doesn't look like it. Basically all scripts run through the main ubbthreads.php script. Normally to debug, I'll add something like this:

Code
echo "Debugging";
exit;

I'll put that into various spots of the ubbthreads.php script to start. I'll move it down a bit at a time, so when I no longer see that line, then I know it's something above that point that's causing an issue. On your site, I can stick that up right at the top after the opening <?php tag and I never see it, so it's like it won't even begin to execute the php script when it hangs.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I wonder if they have some "throttling" script run via PHP that says "Hey, the CPU is this bogged, lets not let anything on the server run for a couple seconds"...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Forum Privacy Policy
by ECNet - 02/26/2024 11:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 322 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29