Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
sb
S Offline
This is more of a Drupal question but someone here may have the answer for us.

We have been using UBB Threads for years and love it. Our web site is being converted to Drupal but we want desperately to keep UBB Threads. How do we integrate it into Drupal, keeping it password protected for our members *without* implementing a second log in process within UBB itself.

In other words. We want people who are members to seamlessly have access to UBB without having to log in a second time to the BBS.

Specific Questions:
1) How do we provision new UBB.threads accounts correctly since Drupal will be driving, not creating users via the UBB admin area?

2) What is the syntax for the magic cookie that Drupal should set when a Drupal login event happens successfully?

3) Is there a way to sync UserIDs and Passwords between Drupal and UBB? The front door will be mandatory Drupal and users will not be able to log into UBB. So could we possibly blank out the ability to log in via UBB?

4) Syntax for adjusting that cookie when a Drupal logout event occurs so UBB.threads no longer thinks the user is properly authenticated.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
hmm... Gardener is working on a Joomla integration. He may have some answers for you.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
I
stranger
stranger
I Offline
Does anyone have the solution for single login mentioned here?
We are working on integrating UBB with our web application and planning to implement single login on the parent site.

if a user creates account in the parent site his account is also created in UBB forums for that site , and the user dont needs to login from the forum site instead he is redirected to the main sites login page.

Do we need to write some service , API or script to implement this thing.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well we simply md5 the password; so just have your parent script update the UBB password field... And remove the ability to set your pass in threads through the templates

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
You'd need to add some code to the parent site.

When a user registers there they'd need to be added to the proper tables. You'd want to look at the scripts/adduser.inc.php script for that portion.

When a user logs in to the parent site, you'd need to log them into UBB.threads. You'd want to look at libs/html.inc.php, specifically the do_login function for that portion.

When a user changes their password or other info on the parent site, you'd need to update UBB.threads. You'd want to look at scripts/editbasic.inc.php to see what fields you'd need to update when that happens.

When a user logs out of the parent site, you'd need to log them out from UBB.threads. You'd want to look at scripts/logout.inc.php for that.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i did a similar thing with .htaccess interface that would auto log the user in, or if they didn't exist, it would create the user in threads and log them in..

it's perty much what Rick says, with also having to look @ ubbthreads.inc.php for the nitty gritty stuff..

so it's deffo doable smile

I
stranger
stranger
I Offline
We don't have access to parent site code . All we can do is changes at the UBB software . If we can come up with some stored procedure in the UBB database that registers the users and then automatically logs them in.

I
stranger
stranger
I Offline
I have gone through the file html.inc.php and seen the function do_login(); can you please tell where this function is being called and in which file. there is a login form which is calling action="/forum/ubbthreads.php" with post method.

can you please explain this login process in some more details
so that i can automate this with some script.

Last edited by Inderjot; 03/12/2009 7:17 AM.
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
The function is called from start_page.inc.php. You get directed here after filling out a login form. All of the editing you'll want to do, however, I believe will be solely in the html.inc.php file - to the function itself. (As far as logins go)

N
N Offline
Rick:

Any chance that you could add this as a feature to UBB? We too are about to move the main site to drupal, and it would be good to have a properly supported off the shelf solution for this.

UBB is great for forums, way more meant for that than drupal -- but drupal is the solution when it comes to content management, eCommerce, etc...

And, from the sounds of it, you know what needs to be done in fairly short order -- understanding where things are going in the future, and how not to break it.

Finally, if drupal support is needed on the other site, creating a drupal module to do this would generate more visibility for you in a different arena.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Neil

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I believe some sort of API/hooks are schedualed for v8...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
stranger
stranger
D Offline
I'd also love to see some type of API or hooks for external CMS integration. We too have an established threads community (4000 users since 2002) and are adding drupal for content management.

I've started a drupal module which authenticates against threads DB and populates drupal with a user, and syncs some profile info, but that's just enough to get me into trouble since I now have two places each user can manage their profile.

If there was (is?) a good way to create a user in threads and log them in as appropriate from my drupal module that would go a long way towards making things cleaner (I suppose I could leave all the user management in threads, but that would require a good way to extract the logins piece to my main site page and for the rest of the site to be able to ask whether a user is logged in).

Thanks for any thoughts on this.--David

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29