Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#224675 03/24/2009 11:24 AM
stranger
stranger
Any future forward plans to add a video gallery to UBB?

Thanks!

Visit my Web site at, http://www.theatregig.com/.
David Moon #224678 03/24/2009 12:01 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd like some information about what you believe a video gallery would be...

As of UBB.T7.3 we have "Custom Tags" and several of the defaults allow syndication/embedding of videos from YouTube, Google Video, and Yahoo Video... A boatload of others are supplied by me at UBBDev.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
David Moon #224679 03/24/2009 12:19 PM
stranger
stranger
Much like a photo gallery, but with video - the ability to post videos using URL strings from popular video sharing sites (youtube, vimeo, etc.) Also the ability to upload your own - much like http://www.vbtube.com/ does for vBulletin. Ability to comment, rate, categorize, and so on ...

David Moon #224680 03/24/2009 12:28 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Seems to me all you'd really have to do is enable the custom video tags that ship with the UBB and make a forum for video posting (like I do over at UGN)...

Posting your own videos however, wouldn't be a possibility with it however since there isn't the ability to upload vidoes in the UBB, but there are plenty of 3rd party scripts out there that allow it and even allow an embedded script to syndicate them, which would be easy enough to add to the CustomTag generator in the Control Panel...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #224681 03/24/2009 12:33 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd also like to add that vBTube looks to be an unofficial addon for vBulletin and not an official feature of the product...

For one, I don't really see throwing a video uploader into the UBB since I doubt more than a handful would actually ever make use of it, let alone have the resources to run it (you know, it takes resources to process an avi to a flash object; a lot of them, which just may make your webhost squeel with delight to click the off button on your site)...

I have enough trouble finding shared hosts for clients that allow exec to run ImageMagick, let alone convert videos.. Why? It's not security conscious to allow it...

Gizmo #224687 03/24/2009 1:02 PM
stranger
stranger
I am working on a niche video sharing site. It would not be my preference for users to upload their own videos, but I would like for it to be an option. vBTube is an "unofficial" add-on, as most mods are.

Has anyone looked into a integration with Kaltura? http://www.kaltura.com/

David

David Moon #224688 03/24/2009 1:09 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, by posting *here* for things to be added you're asking to be pushed into the official build; by asking at UBBDev you'd be more asking for a modification (which I may add would be quite substancial)

Gizmo #224690 03/24/2009 1:12 PM
stranger
stranger
Just inquiring if there were any plans down the road. Video is obviously a hot Web property for publishers.

Gizmo #224691 03/24/2009 1:13 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, something bout their homepage (Kaltura) dispises FireFox on my Ubuntu machine; so I'll have to wait to fiddle with their site till later in the afternoon...

If they allow embeddable tags however, it'd be simple to syndicate media from the script to the UBB... Now tying into the membership data however, since this is the first I've heard of Kaltura I'd have to say that I doubt anyone has a working integration drawn up to utilize that at this time.

Gizmo #224723 03/24/2009 7:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quite a bit of work overall I'd think as Gizmo has already said.

Not that it couldn't be done, but since you're the first person I recall asking for it it would probably take a LOT more interest in order to look at coding it into the product.

Again, though maybe good for some sites, as pointed out very few "shared" hosting solutions would support or allow such bandwidth usage. Even if they don't stop or prevent it, the speed would probably be too slow due to shared resources being too low. Streaming video in most cases would require a dedicated server or some very gracious shared hosting site.

ntdoc #224728 03/24/2009 7:26 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
That's a hell of a job, i made myself a video area for all the video:youtube tags:

http://www.freesat.nl/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=video

Hope you like it.

Rob

Last edited by Robje01; 03/24/2009 7:26 PM.

My place to be: http://www.freesat.nl
Robje01 #224741 03/24/2009 8:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not sure if that's what he really wanted though from his description. I think he wants the video hosted and run from his forum, not a TAG for a video to another site. Gizmo already pointed out that UBBT already fully supports many Media Tags.

ntdoc #224766 03/25/2009 4:13 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I know, i only shouted this for letting know that this forum software has great alternatives. Building something like vbtube is realy too much work. I think, but that's just my opinion, it's a great piece of software, but to intagratie it into board code that's too much. Leave it as a external program.
You can include the movies in the board afterworths with a much simpeler piece of source.

But that's only my opinion...

Rob

My place to be: http://www.freesat.nl

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29