Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
Hi there,
Just implemented a post island that I use externally on another page of my website (I don't use the portal page at all). I have set it to always build and set the cache time to 5 minutes but the data does not seem to update unless I login and rebuild it manually.
Cheers,
Phil

F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
So it's just me having this problem then? Further to my previous message I now cleared the cache but this makes no difference.
Any ideas welcomed.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
First thing I'd do is just manually delete all of the files in the cache/ directory except for the index.html file and then rebuild the cache.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
OK thanks Rick I have done that and will let you know if it works in due course.
One other thing, as I use relative timestamps in my forum (which also shows in the external content island), will they be updated at 5 min build intervals too even if there are no new posts made?

F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
External post island still does not seem to update timestamps unless a new topic is posted. Guess the solution is to use non-relative timestamps for now?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Hmm, is the cache file itself being updated? Meaning, if you check the timestamp on the file itself via ftp has it been updated at all?

F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
Hello again Rick,
On checking the cache file, the island does build from time to time (I think when a new topic/reply is made on the board) but not at the 5 minute intervals I set it to build to.
Regards,
Phil

journeyman
journeyman
I am having the same problem and have had this for months, posts normally list at first like they should and then all disappear, until you do a new post and then once again last for about 2 weeks and then they all disappear.

I have 85 sites using the same forum so many of them do not post once each week.

RICK ;-) this could be a good time to also make it that you can have more than 10 post islands.

See one of my other postings about this

Best Regards

Danny de Hek - Below is our Office Cam Image

[Linked Image from newzealandnz.co.nz]
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Just an FYI, there is a clause in the post island builder where it will only list topics that have a last reply time within the last month. I think that's contributing to your issue NewZealandNZ. What you can do is edit the cache_builders/post_island.php file. You'll see this line:

$one_month = $html->get_date() - (86400 *30);

Just change that to something like:

$one_month = $html->get_date() - (86400 *300);

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by Flaming Carrot
Hello again Rick,
On checking the cache file, the island does build from time to time (I think when a new topic/reply is made on the board) but not at the 5 minute intervals I set it to build to.
Regards,
Phil

Note, that the post islands will only actually update when someone posts to that particular forum. So, even if you have it set to rebuild every 5 minutes, if someone doesn't post in that forum, it won't rebuild until they do. The main reason for that is there's really no reason for a post island to be rebuilt if there isn't a new post in the forum wink

F
journeyman
journeyman
F Offline
Ah, thanks Rick. That kind of breaks the relative timestamp display (message could for example show it was posted 15 minutes ago when in fact it could be a couple of days old on low traffic forums).

Anyway, moved to non-relative timestamps and it looks fine now.

Cheers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29