Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
N Offline
At some point in the last few updates UBB.threads stopped accepting usernames with spaces in them.

All existing usernames on one of my sites have spaces - we have a "username must be Firstname Lastname" policy. This change is debatably not a bug, but I'd really like to see it being backed out if at all possible -- can this be done?

(On a related note, I'd like the ability to turn off Display Names...)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I don't recall the reasoning offhand, but it was added like this in the last couple versions for a reason; I was thinking it was just spaces before or after text (so people couldn't try to register say "gizmo " or " gizmo")...

Why not use the Public Display Name for this though is my question; it should allow spaces without a problem...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
N
N Offline
I understood that to be the change too, but when you actually try to register now it tells you that usernames must only contain alphanumeric characters and underscores.

Public Display Name is certainly an option, but I'd rather stick with the existing system with the username if I could purely because my four hundred and fifty existing users are in that format.

If you look at the change logs you will see that this change was intended to not allow spaces before and after the name. I don't believe the intent was to limit spaces like "First Last".
But that is what we ended up with "First_Last" or "FirstLast"

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I can see where it can be a pain, but I'm not sure (offhand) how to allow both options...

You can however have spaces in a PDN, and I'd immagine your users PDN's reflect their login name no?

Last edited by Gizmo; 04/20/2009 2:57 PM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Just going by the 7.5 changelog:
Spaces will now be removed from the beginning and end of Login Names, Display Names and Passwords.

If the way it is now is the way it is going to be. It would be nice to have a descriptor when registering. So at least there is a warning before you submit.

It is a bigger pain to go back and re-enter stuff like captcha, password and name is used already and keep trying till you succeed.

And as to PDN and user name. My observation is most people use the same name but now you can't.

So my opinion is make both fields have the same entry requirements.
It will save aggravation for the user trying to remember,"Did I use a space or did I use a underscore"

My 2c

Blue Man Group
N
N Offline
If you look at the change logs you will see that this change was intended to not allow spaces before and after the name. I don't believe the intent was to limit spaces like "First Last".

That was my read of it too. I'd appreciate if Rick could make a policy decision... I'd rather not have to downgrade to an earlier release if I can avoid it smile

Originally Posted by Noxegon
That was my read of it too. I'd appreciate if Rick could make a policy decision... I'd rather not have to downgrade to an earlier release if I can avoid it smile
It would be a big big task to downgrade to a earlier version.
I am not even sure how to go about it. Since you would need to go prior to 7.5!

Blue Man Group
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Spaces between words/letters should be allowed if special characters are allowed. The intent was just to get rid of them at the beginning/end to eliminate user error. I'll need to look into this.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The wording in the CP leads the user to think that special characters are only "allowable" in the PDN

Originally Posted by Gizmo
The wording in the CP leads the user to think that special characters are only "allowable" in the PDN
I will have to agree with Giz on this Rick.
Ver7.5.2 it says:
Allow Special Characters in Display Names?
Which I have enabled.
Yes, the display name can have a space in the string.
But not the user name.
Never tried a space in the password.

Blue Man Group
N
N Offline
I've suspended new registrations on the site in question for the moment, pending a workaround...

N
N Offline
Don't suppose there's any movement on this one? I'd rather not leave registrations off indefinitely!

Thanks in advance.

Rick has stated he is looking into this but has not re-stated he found or did not find a issue.
But in any case Rick also stated that v7.5.3 would be stalled a little bit to try to address as many discovered bugs on v 7.5.2 as possible.
I assume so he can devote more time with version 8 instead of flipping back and forth to v7 for bug fixes.

Blue Man Group
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
For a temp fix on this you should be able to edit libs/ubbthreads.inc.php. Line 1436 of that file there is this block of code:

Code
        if (!preg_match("/^\w+$/",$name)) {
            return array(false, 'BAD_LNAME');
        }

You can change that, to this and it will allow for your spaces:

Code
        if (!preg_match("/^\w+$/",$name)) {
            //return array(false, 'BAD_LNAME');
        }

N
N Offline
Thanks Rick.

Addict
Addict
Is this problem going to be resolved/fixed in 7.5.3?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yes it will be.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Only bringing this back up because I wasn't able to create a Display Name containing a space in 7.6.1.1 unless I enabled "Allow Special Characters In Display Names" -- so unless there's a new bug, or the definition of "Special Characters" has changed, this wasn't actually resolved...?

(Member had a problem registering but she didn't know what the problem was -- I tried manually and got the "no special characters" error. Turned that option on and it worked. I don't want "special" characters in Display Names, but spaces should obviously not be "special")

Thanks...

JG

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29