Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
stranger
stranger
Hi,

a new user wanted to register. He tried to register with "Name Surname" like "John Doe". ubbt refused this user name pretending that special characters aren't allowed. But there were no special characters like German umlauts. When I tried it whithout the space like "JohnDoe", it was accepted.

Any idea?

Regards

Elmar

Dr. Elmar Frank
www.drfrank.de
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A space is a special character; you can enable special characters in the registration settings in the control panel.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
stranger
stranger
Thanks, that's exactly what I did. In the German translation the option is called: "Erlaube Sonderzeichen im Benutzernamen? ", which means "Allow special characters in Usernames" and the option is enabled.

My provider switched from one to another server last week. Could it have something to do with this fact (the user registration worked before). By the way: Im using version 7.5.2 with the German language pack from Zarzal.

Dr. Elmar Frank
www.drfrank.de
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It shouldn't have an effect (on this setting at least) that you where moved

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
stranger
stranger
OK, but what can I do to solve the problem? could you tell me, which file is responsible for the handling of new registrations so I can replace it with the original from the installation package and check its rights? Or do you have another suggestion?

Regards

Elmar

Dr. Elmar Frank
www.drfrank.de
Hi - just jumping in. smile

Like most things adding new users is handled through several files in UBBThreads, but the MAIN file is /yourForums/scripts/adduser.inc.php. I'm not sure if swapping out this file is going to help, so backup .... !

stranger
stranger
Hi,

I talked to my provider: the old server used the codepage ISO-8859-1, the new one uses UTF-8.

Could this be the problem? Is there a place in ubb where I can set the codepage to be used?

Regards

Elmar

Dr. Elmar Frank
www.drfrank.de
Definitely could and probably is the problem. To change the coding you need to edit your language file. In the control panel, under Display Options choose Languages, click the Language Editor tab, and in "Choose Specific Language File" drop down and choose generic.php. The first option is charset - change it to utf-8 and update the file.

Be warned - changing the charset in this way can cause unbelievable encoding issues with your database, so when you view forums through a browser they can suddenly be filled with nonsense characters. You will need to look at your database and ensure that it is storing text as UTF-8, and you may have to run a conversion on the tables.

Is it possible you can have your host configure your server charset?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The charset the UBB uses is embedded in the pages, you can change this via the language editor, but unless it was changed there, it'll have no effect.

As for why it won't allow spaces in the public displayed name (not username) when selected, I'm not sure; but there is another thread going on on these forums that's seeking a fix to spaces in usernames... perhaps that'd help here as well?

HERE is a post on the subject. Rick posted a quick fix for the current version so I assume it will be in version 7.5.3.
The space limitation was intended to not allow spaces as a prefix or suffix not in the middle of the string.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (DennyP, 1 invisible), 968 guests, and 154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29