Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
I need to find a good host for a busy message board but do not want ti hosted in the USA
Can anyone recommend a good place?
Best would be a reseller account that works well with UBBthreads?

If any of you is using a host that is not in USA that give you no trouble please let me know who they are

Thank you

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
all depends upon where you wish to be hosted - not in the USA leaves a large chunk of the world wink

Veteran
Veteran
I think you are having the same problem I had when long ago I was hosted on others servers. I got tired of the corporate crap and all that and went out and bought all the stuff and now I host my self.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
Any place that is not in USA and is good and compatible with threads is good
Do you know of any in that big chunk of the world?

If any of you is using a host that is not in USA that give you no trouble please let me know who they are

Thank you

Veteran
Veteran
I'm kind of wondering why your so against host's in the USA.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
He could be hosting content that isn't legal in the USA. A sports betting site, for instance.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Or it could be issues with payment transactions where exchanges are a issue.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Found these from WebHostingTalk:
Netherlands: http://www.funhost.nl
Malaysia: http://www.DataKL.com http://www.shinjiru.com.my

Theres a reviews site for UK hosts at: http://www.hostratings.co.uk/

Keep in mind that where some sites will be based in a country, sometimes their servers will be elsewhere (such as a UK or MY based service with servers in the USA)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
We really need to know where the users are - if they are down under little point in the server being in Europe. But then as david said it might be a certain site content for the reason. If that is the case then I am sure there are some off shore hosts with shorting ping times than Europe.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Keep in mind that where some sites will be based in a country, sometimes their servers will be elsewhere (such as a UK or MY based service with servers in the USA)

indeed - many UK hosts have servers solely in the USA. We moved our servers to the UK last year, despite it being more expensive than US servers.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
"We moved our servers to the UK last year, despite it being more expensive than US servers."

If that host works well with UBBthreads... please share which it is.
I need a host that is not in USA... just need to know the people that run it are "familiar" with UBBthreads...

There has to be a few boards hosted in servers not located in USA... just asking for recommendations...
A dedicated server will be fine...

P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
Thank you for the links
I need the actual server to be outside USA and UBBthreads friendly
This may surprise some of you but there are a lot of Webs that are not hosted in USA and very easy to find a host outside USA

But I need it outside USA and ready for UBBthreads with support people that may be able to help if I have a problem... that is why I ask here... maybe someone here is hosting a board outside USA and is happy to recommend the company...

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I would share the link, but I do not think it appropriate to plug my own company. Sorry.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by pinkmelon
Thank you for the links
I need the actual server to be outside USA and UBBthreads friendly
Well, that's why I posted the links; UBB.T is simply a PHP/MySQL script, any webhost should be capable of running it, especially on a dedicated server.

This may surprise some of you but there are a lot of Webs that are not hosted in USA and very easy to find a host outside USA
Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple to know if they're just *based* in the country, or if thats where their servers are, one of those things you really just have to ask the company... Hence why I included the links that I was able to find via Google.

Last edited by Gizmo; 05/19/2009 10:16 AM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I can recommend www.fuzioned.com

I moved all my stuff over to them during the last 3 months including my ubbthreads forums.
They're UK based (scotland i believe) and their support is some of the best i've ever come across. They appear to work 24-7 (although i'm sure thats not quite true).

I did the leg-work of my ubb move over the Easter weekend and needed support during that time - had rapid responses to my tickets even on the bank holiday sunday and monday smile

Their servers are running CentOS Linux with php5, MySQL 5+

Regards

B

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Crasher

Wow, I'm glad I'm running the same stuff on a small scale that the big foreign corporations are running. Makes me feel good as I'm located in the USA and I host my own.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
Thank you very much
Will check them out
Are there any others?

Originally Posted by JAISP
Originally Posted by Crasher

Wow, I'm glad I'm running the same stuff on a small scale that the big foreign corporations are running. Makes me feel good as I'm located in the USA and I host my own.

2 of my development boxes at home also run the same spec so it makes moving stuff from dev to production a piece of cake smile
If i wasn't in such a remote location i would have a go at self-hosting, but not sure my "damp-piece-of-string" adsl conenction would take the strain crazy

Veteran
Veteran
Yeah I do my own hosting and host for others as well. I use to generally get the response that people wished to host with large companies and such for the simple reason of security and ease.

In recent times a few of those large companies went belly up and I have gotten a few of those customers that didn't want to give me a chance try our my services. For the most part they all love the increased speed, better security, and fast response (like with in minutes) of a reported problem.

On the bright side I owe nothing to anyone and have no partners or loans for all my equipment. It's all paid for and work's great. I have the biggest baddest computer in the county right now, lol

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Lol I'd love to have the cash to buy some simple equipment for some local dev work; though until then I'll be sharing my htpc with that load tongue

P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo

Thank for the tip on that one... looks like a good option and I am checking on them now

They charge extra, extra, for being offshore... not just abroad but offshore as in confidential

I really need it to be a regular host for ubbthreads outside USA

Any other suggestions?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Unfortunately, there usually isn't too much of a request for forums and offshore hosting around these parts; any and all resources I'd be capable of linking to would be from places like Webhosting Talk where users are there to review hosts.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
BTW, personally, if I where to host legally questionable items online, I'd choose a morally laxed country such as Sweeden...
http://www.prq.se/

And yes, PRQ is the company infamous for hosting the servers for the Bittorrent Tracker "The Pirate Bay".

P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
It is not questionable. It is just that the laws are different. There is a reason why the US jails the largest percentage of citizens than any other country and the reason is that too many things are illegal in USA that are not in many other countries. The land of the free sends too many people to jail and there are not too many brave to say it is not fair.

I need to find a good host for a busy message board but do not want ti hosted in the USA
Can anyone recommend a good place?
Best would be a reseller account that works well with UBBthreads?

Thank you

try usonyx.com, located in singapore, with branches in japan, taiwan and sydney. run by some savvy chinese and russians. i've used them for a few years now, without any problem whatsoever, and the connection seems consistently fast. my indonesian message board is located there for both "legal" and technical reasons. wink

JakChat.com -- Forums for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Ubuntu-Indonesia.com -- Forums for Indonesia's Ubuntu Users

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29