Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
old hand
old hand
I have had this problem before with an earlier version. Email sent from CP is not always delivered, deepening on how you elect to send it. Here is, step by step, what I'm doing and the email is NOT being delivered, instead I get a failure message:

I try to send an email to a member or members as follows (I'll just use one member for this example).

1. I do a search for a specific member (Fred)
2. I click the checkbox under [Sel} next to Fred's name
3. I select Email from the "Actions" dropdown
4. I select the "Selected Members on this Page" radio option and click "Perform Selected Action"
5. On the next page I select "send mail directly to members" and click "Generate Emails"
6. I fill in the email form and enter a Default To: address of "members@mydomain.com" (that account does exist)
7. I do NOT check the box to send one at a time (although I have tried it both ways with the same result).
8. I click the "Send Emails" button
6. it then says email sent to "fred@somewhere.com."

(Note that it puts a period there on the end).

That email address is one of my email addressed (changed to a nonsensical email address for this discussion), but I don't receive the email. Instead, I get a failed delivery notification.

However, if, instead of checking "Selected Members on this Page" radio option in step 4, I choose "All Members in Search" then I do receive the email and when it says its sending the email, there is no period at the end of the email. Is anyone else having this problem when trying to send an email using the "Selected Members in Search" option? I know I've seen this problem before but thought it was resolved.

Basil

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, when you get the failure email, does the email address have a period on it? It should show the exact email address mail was sent to in the failure message

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Well, when you get the failure email, does the email address have a period on it? It should show the exact email address mail was sent to in the failure message

That would be too easy! If, for example, I send an email as described above, to an email address of cyborg@someaddress.com the failure email says this:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

c@host.britishcarforum.com
Unrouteable address

And the intended recipient does NOT receive any email. Would you do me a favor Gizmo, and try sending an email from your CP (using the method I described above) to an account for which you own the email address (create a test account if necessary) and see if it works for you? I'd like to know if this is a real bug or just happening to me.

Same here Basil using 7.5.3.
Just tried your method
Some type of bug.
And I do recall a older post somewhat on the same issue.
Just can't seem to find it.
Just found the post HERE
No resolution though.

Last edited by Ruben; 05/27/2009 2:51 PM. Reason: Added link

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
old hand
old hand
Hi Ruben, thanks! Nice to know it isn't just me. I'm having same problem as in the post you linked to. It does seem to wok if I send it out "one by one" but otherwise I get a message failed returend and it says the email address is like c@host.mydomain.com
(c is the first letter in my email address, but the host.mydomain.com is wrong. ) Definitely a bug - Rick?

journeyman
journeyman
Im running 7.5.2 and dont have problems sending out emails to users.

I have to check "Send emails one at a time, instead of using BCC" if sending emails out to more than one user.

trosfrihed.dk
Custom Ubb 7.5.2
Sounds like you do have the same problem.
Try using Basil's post.
Read the notes.
Even though he is sending to only one person. He is selecting the method you would normally use for multiple people.
Also I noted with the same method that if you select say two members the returned message does not show both email addresses sent to when you select submit. Hum???

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Quick fix for this as it look like it got reverted at some point. admin/dosendemail.php. Line 100 looks like this:

Code
$mailer->ubbt_mail($bogus,'',false,$bcc_list);

That should be:

Code
$mailer->ubbt_mail($bogus,'',false,$bcc);

old hand
old hand
Thanks Rick - I was pretty sure this was one of those issues that had previously been resolved but popped up again. I just tried it and that seems to have fixed it!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29