Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#226936 05/30/2009 2:46 AM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 53
R
journeyman
journeyman
R Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 53
I followed the instructions in the FAQ to set up the avatar databases for user upload {{"Avatars
Avatar Upload Storage Directory:
This setting is only needed if members can upload avatar."}}
and got the following:

Testing 'http://www.illusionarylabyrinth.net/forums/images/avatars'
Directory does not exist!
Test failed. Either the directory was not found or cannot be written to by the web server.

I'm not sure why it's giving me that or what to do about it; I have my FTP open and there is very clearly a directory with that name.

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 53
R
journeyman
journeyman
R Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 53
I also can't figure out how to make the

/home/yoursite.tld/public_html/forum/uploads/

format work with anything I input about my site therein.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
sound like a permissions error - the directories in question should be set to 777.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
It looks like you're putting in a URL when it should be a path:

From the error it looks like you're putting in http://www.illusionarylabyrinth.net/forums/images/avatars, when it probably should be something like:

/home/yoursite.tld/public_html/forum/images/avatars

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649
Likes: 88
Oh besides what IAN stated I think I see what the problem is.
When you add the paths you have two fields to enter.
Avatar Upload Storage Directory:
This should be your absolute path like
/home/yoursite.tld/public_html/forums/images/avatars
not like
http://www.illusionarylabyrinth.net/forums/images/avatars

For a hint for your absolute path look at
Control Panel ยป DB, Paths & URLs

This is what would appear when you test not http://www.illusionarylabyrinth.net/forums/images/avatars

Then enter the :Full URL to Avatar Upload StorageDirectory:
http://www.illusionarylabyrinth.net/forums/images/avatars

Darn Rick you beat me to it.

Last edited by Ruben; 05/30/2009 5:41 PM. Reason: Added comment

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 53
R
journeyman
journeyman
R Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 53
Thanks for the help! Got it figured out. laugh


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)