Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#227101 06/10/2009 1:28 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It only seems to happen right after logging in, after a post is submitted and the slowest is when you click on the Main List All Forums landing page.

We've been experiencing some down time and have been assured that those issues have been fixed with a move in servers. These load time issues were not resolved in the move and were not present until about 1 month ago when the down time started.

Any insight would be appreciated.:) Our site is listed below in my signature and one of my fellow co-workers may chime in as well.

Cara-
Community Producer at:
Canadian Parents.com Message Boards
It could be several items such as mysql is not tuned properly.
There is a recent post the last few days on this.
Also you may need to optimize your tables. This could be done through
Control Panel » Database Tools-Information
Also, If you have not done so is turn on "Enable zlib Compression" in the cp>>Primary settings-Advanced options.
Another item Rick noted in the past with large boards is to turn off "Show total # of unread posts per forum"
Control Panel » Display Options-Forum Summary Options .

If I had to guess what the problem is I would guess it is the 100 forums with "Show total # of unread posts per forum" enabled.
You can read about it HERE

Last edited by Ruben; 06/10/2009 3:32 PM. Reason: Added post link

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #227118 06/11/2009 3:26 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Thanks Ruben,

We tried turning off the Show Total # of unread posts and the results were good but not great. IN the backend we are still experiencing a lot of CPO being consumed by the database.

I gave our database admin the info you posted and he says he has the other suggestions in place.

Any other suggestions? Remember, this problem started 5 weeks ago so we don't believe that the problem is related to the number of posts or users otherwise it would have been obvious before this time, wouldn't it?

Thank you again for your help.
Helen

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
As I had mentioned in another thread, the very first thing that should be looked at is the MySQL configuration. If it's not properly tuned for your specific server specs then performance is going to be pretty bad as the database size grows.

For starters I'd use mysqltuner to check your configuration and current variables/stats.

Rick #227122 06/11/2009 3:42 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Thanks Rick. I did send the link to our guy and he has someone helping him solve the problem - so with some luck they will find that a setting was changed about 5 weeks ago. The database just hasn't grown enough over night to cause these problems. IT has to be more than just a big database.

Thanks again Rick!
Helen

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29