Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
My favorite online- forum is closing its doors, unless someone takes it on. I guess that is going to be me. I have no idea what I am doing. However I am going to give it a try.
Facts:
1) http://falconeasygroup.com
2) I have been give rights to the domain name
3) They are running UBB Classic 6.3.0
4) They have backed up all the data and are giving it to me
5) They had a site license so I cannot upgrade. So I will be purchasing the new version of UBB (7.5)
Question;
1) Can I import this data from 6.3.0 into the new version of 7.5 and retain all the posts / threads
2) Do I need a hosting server account (I was told GODADDY) prior to receiving the UBB 7.5
3) Is there a demo or video on how to set up 7.5 and import data from 6.3.0
4) Is UBB 7.5 a standalone program that updates are uploaded to a server? Or all server based?
5) I am reading pre-ordering forum as fast as possible to find these answers. However, if someone could answer these question. It would be a big help. They are not giving me much time to say yes, before the old data is throw away.
6) Any other links for Set up and MGT a UUB forum would be helpful.
Mark

Not so fast.
5) They had a site license so I cannot upgrade. So I will be purchasing the new version of UBB (7.5)
If you can prove that it is in fact the same site per say you could upgrade instead of purchasing a new license.
Usually the email address is the key.
So you could inquire to UBB about that.
Might save a few dollars.

Can I import this data from 6.3.0 into the new version of 7.5 and retain all the posts / threads.
Most everything can be imported but you would need to take this in two steps. Upgrade to the current classic version ,then upgrade to threads. Both are down loadable in the member area.

Do I need a hosting server account (I was told GODADDY) prior to receiving the UBB 7.5
Yes you need a hosting account. Look at the requirements on the home page at ubbcentral.com

Is there a demo or video on how to set up 7.5 and import data from 6.3.0
No there is not . But it is fairly straightforward to install and you have this forum for help. Either from users like me or the vendor.

Is UBB 7.5 a standalone program that updates are uploaded to a server? Or all server based?
As long as your host has mysql,PHP per the requirements
PHP 4.3+
MySQL 4 or 5
You should be fine.

I am reading pre-ordering forum as fast as possible to find these answers. However, if someone could answer these question. It would be a big help. They are not giving me much time to say yes, before the old data is throw away.
As long as you have a backup of the old site. you will be fine if you need to changehosts.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Just for thrills.
Your site is very small.
You could get by for less.
But here is an example of costs,at least where I am at.
12 months hosting package 107.40
Domain name registration 1 year 19.95
UBB membership renewal 1 year 99.00

Total first year cost 226.25

Blue Man Group
Ruben thanks for your help on this.

Let me get this straight about the import. (After I buy the upgrade or full version.)

(Part 1) I am going to go get the classic UBB software and load it on my server. Then import the Data they are giving me from UBB 6.3.

(Part 2) After part 1 is completed. I will do another upgrade to 7.5 and the data will migrate with the upgrade.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes, that's the general upgrade path from a pre-6.7 UBB.Classic; the .Threads7 importer only works with UBB.Classic 6.7.x and UBB.Threads 6.5.x

I'm sure you could find a dev to hire (ahem) to do the whole migration/upgrade for you should you not feel up to migrating yourself.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
Gizmo, I think I remember where you were suggesting that I was "Polling" for customers in here once.

I think you are "polling" for customers a lot, lol.

Hey Guys! please don't fight over this.

It is because of the professionals on this forum, that know that I can succeed on keeping the falconEASY forum open for business. I appreciate "all" comments posted on my thread(s).

I know that I have "New Fish" written all over my face. However, I catch on quickly and hope to contribute back to the forum, as my experience level matures.

I guess that is how I wound up the moderator of the soon to be "New Falcon EASy forum"

Thanks for all your responses now and in the future.

mark

Originally Posted by Marker23
Ruben thanks for your help on this.

Let me get this straight about the import. (After I buy the upgrade or full version.)

(Part 1) I am going to go get the classic UBB software and load it on my server. Then import the Data they are giving me from UBB 6.3.

(Part 2) After part 1 is completed. I will do another upgrade to 7.5 and the data will migrate with the upgrade.
Part 1 is not quite correct.
If you are moving hosts before upgrading.
You will need to move the existing board using a backup. And then you will need to make a couple of changes to get it up and running in the config files. Once the old board is running on the new site then you can start the upgrades.Current classic then to threads.

If you are fine with the old version then why bother with upgrading. Although I strongly suggest upgrading.
But anyway I would make sure you have a current backup to make the move first before you kill the old site.
That way if you have a bad backup like(Missing a file or folder) You can go back to the old site and grab it.

Blue Man Group
In your version you also have a folder called members. This stores all the members info. Sometimes it is placed above the root path for security reasons. So it is important you have a complete backup to move the board.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, but polling as a webhost and stating he should hire a professional to do it for him if he's unable are different, kinda lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I guess so.
Sometimes it is easier the first time to get somebody to do it for you.
I really don't see any issues with either one of you.

In fact I think there should be a resource area for just this type of item.
Of course it may cut into Rick's arena but it looks like he is already to busy.

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 740 guests, and 145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29