Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
I just can not figure how to do that
I want users with more than 200 posts to be the only ones that can post on one of my forums.

Rick explained it as:
You could create a new group, where new users would be added to that group. In there you'd set the maximum private topics (under site permissions) to 0. Then under group management you'd add a 30 under the Post Count field to the regular Users so users would be added to that group when they've made 30 posts. You'd set the maximum private topics and messages, so they could then send private messages.

I think i need it translated to the version for dummies...

You make a group that has permissions to the forum.
Then in the group there is a field to set how many posts to auto join the group called post count.
Control Panel » Group Management
It is only editable if it is a not stock group.
In fact at the bottom of that screen it states
"By filling in the Post Count field you can make it so users will automatically be added to that particular group once they reach the designated Post Count. Leave blank, or 0, to disable this feature. "

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
You mean I make a group with permission just for that forum and set it to whatever post count I want?

Then i can have several groups with various posts count requirements?

If i set it to 100 then the people that can see that forum are not removed from the other groups... they are just other to this one?

Right.
First thing is to add a group say called 100 club .Set the post count to what you want 100.
The goto the forum permissions and set the permissions to post and reply to allow only 100 club. Or for that matter you can completely hide the forum from any group you want
When a member reaches 100 posts that member will be added to 100 club automatically and still be in whatever groups they were in to begin with.
So whatever permissions 100 club has they will be upgraded per say.
You could do a lot of things like allow bigger attachment sizes add other permissions they did not have etc.

Then you can do the same for say 200 club

Blue Man Group
BTW you could also tie this in with member titles.
Control Panel » Profile Settings
It has a post count setting also

Blue Man Group
P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
Thank you
I have the new user group working... set it to 100 instead of 200 but that is irrelevant
And it seems to be working fine except for the fact that two users with more posts than needed have already ocntacted me to ask why they can not post
It looks like many users with the correct number of post have been added to the new group... but most were not...

Are there some users, like merged users, users in other groups, or similar that do not get added? Can not find the logoc as to why some were added and some not...

Check what groups they are in from the control panel to make sure they are not in a special group with different rights that may not allow them to post. Other than that they may just be stuck for other reasons so while you are viewing the user just manually add them to the group and see if that resolves the issue. If not then back to my first comment. They may be in another group such as moderators and they are not allowed to post in the forum.

Blue Man Group
P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
i can add them manually without any problem

Could it be that i changed the settings and the number of posts required a few times?

what if i changed from 500 posts to 100 posts? will all permissions be reset or not?

Possibly,maybe they crossed the threshold while you were making the changes.
Just goto member management and check the box next to the group in question.
You could test at the same time by using the become member button.
If the member is online while you become the member they will be bummped off while you are logged on as them.

Last edited by Ruben; 07/08/2009 1:07 PM.

Blue Man Group
P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
i am talking thousands of users not being added and not a few... and they all seem to have the right permissions and nothing unusual with their accounts...

How long does a new group with post restriction take to populate? I created a new one to test... set it to 200... and it show zero users... should it not show all the users with more htna 200 posts?

P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
Do people have to login before they are added?
I just checked and the test group i mentiond to have no users now has 3 users in it...

Well that could not be or they would be added before they PM me to complain...

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
One thing to note on this. They will only be added to that group when they make a new post. What I mean by that, is this:

Say, you set it so they need 100 posts to be in that group. At that time I have 125 posts. I won't be a member of that group until I make a new post somewhere.

So it checks to see when they post if they need to be added to a group, it doesn't automatically add users to that group when you change the number in the control panel.

I am not really sure what triggers when they are added to the group. But I would think that since you just made the group and you have members that already have exceeded the limit prior. That they might need to post one more post to trigger the change.

I just tested this problem on my test board and that what the problem is even though they currently have exceeded the post requirement they have to post once more to trigger the change.

Other that that you could try the content rebuilder to push it along.

Oh well Rick beat me to it I was testing this before I submitted.

Last edited by Ruben; 07/08/2009 1:32 PM. Reason: Added comment

Blue Man Group
P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
I see.
So if it want it to be 100 and have no problems with people under 100 posts I would have to set it to 99 but would still have the issue with those over 100 that only post in that forum?

The people that only posted there would have a hard time guessing they have to post somewhere else first... this is a very bad idea as they will feel resctricted even if they are not... they may even leave the community feeling unwelcome and never figure out they are the one we wanted posting...

Pretty much so.
It looks like the post count uses a >= to not > than value.
If you had this in place since the beginning it would not be an issue today.

Like I said above you could try the content rebuilder but I am not sure if that would trigger the change for everyone. And if your site is very large it could take quite a while to finish.
Scratch this I just tried it it did not work.
Here is the best option to change everyone now.
Control Panel » Member Management
[+] Advanced Search Options
Member Post Count:set your option
Submit
When the list is built you can use the option at the bottom
Action: Change Groups
All Members or Selected Members?
"Perform Selected Action"
Then check the group under Add to.

Last edited by Ruben; 07/08/2009 1:56 PM. Reason: Added Comment

Blue Man Group
P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
Thank you for checking on this

What happens if I do what you suggest and next week i want to change the settings to 250 posts? it is obvious that the post count permission settings is going to be changing as needed... as it is not easy to figure out whick post count works best...

I have a feeling that moving people from group to group manually sort of messes up being able to do it in an automatic way...

Last edited by pinkmelon; 07/08/2009 2:41 PM.
If you change it from 100 to 250 then think about it.
If you already moved everyone to the group with over 100 posts and you change it to 250. Then all the existing people under 250 but with at least 100 posts will remain in the group. The software will not delete people under 250 they are already in the group.
So you would use the same method that you added members, to delete them. You would just change the search to less than 250. But I would think that would confuse members that once upon a time they could post now they can't.
Of course the members that are currently under the limits that never were in the group will migrate on a natural order.

Blue Man Group
Just another comment. If you start with 100 and make the changes then change the post to 250 I would leave the members alone under 250 and not try to take them out of the group.
If you reduce the number to 75 you just start another headache that you missed some members that need to be manually added to the group. Unless you wait for them to make another post in another forum. So the script does its own thing.
So I would start with the lowest number. Move the members and just raise it a little at a time.
Just my 2 cents

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29