|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
stranger
|
|
stranger
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2 |
Running UBB.threads 6.5.2
Users can no longer upload new avatars. This was working several months ago, but not anymore.
This got me to poking around in the Control Panel. Nothing has changed in the Control Panel for a long time. (I should know - I'm the only admin.) Anyhow, when I click on the links in various locations for directory settings ("Click to test directory"), every one of them fails with "Directory exists but is not writeable."
I checked the permissions settings on the folders in question. They all appear to be correct, all are set to 777.
Some things are actually working, even though the directory test fails. For example, the test for the attachments directory fails, but people can still add attachments to their posts. And I can see the recent attachments on the server.
But I also see on the server that the UID & GID on the older files has my account username, and the more recent ones (w/in the last few months) have a UID & GID of "apache." Could this be the problem? If so, how do I fix it?
Any help would be appeciated. Thanks!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88 |
I believe Driv had the same issue a while back. Basically you are not the owner of the folder anymore. Let me see if I can find the post. But it would be something your host would need to resolve.
Blue Man Group There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88 |
Well I can't find the post by Driv. But there are other issues caused by the host. 1. PHP safe mode-Turn it off. I had one host that had turned it on and it broke the whole site. 2. phpsuexec- Not sure how to deal with this one since I don't have to.
Blue Man Group There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143 |
This one is easy. It's hosted on a server that we administrate. I'll fix. The problem is that the directories created were apache.apache and not user.user. Safe mode is on so even setting the permissions 777 wouldn't solve it. An ownership change is what's required.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
stranger
|
|
stranger
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2 |
Thanks for your help, Dave! And thanks for the responses, Ruben.
A little additional work was needed to make the directory tests succeed, though. I had to change the permissions on the file "test.file" in each directory to 777 (from 644) for the tests to pass.
However, my original problem remains: users cannot upload new avatar images.
I thought it was working after Dave's fix, but additional testing proved otherwise. It turns out that if the user tries to upload an image that's already on the server, his avatar image changes to the new image. But if you try to upload a totally new image, an error message briefly flashes on the screen:
Warning: copy(/home/---/domains/---.infopop.cc/public_html/threads/gallery/2.jpg) [function.copy]:failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/---/domains/---.infopop.cc/public_html/threads/changebasic.php on line 246
Any more ideas?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88 |
Well, Unless David can chime in with some overlooked permission issue. I don't have a clue. I never used the 6.x series. So I don't have a clue what that line is trying to do. And I hate to sound like a broken record. But there have been several updates to file upload features since then. Maybe it is time to consider upgrading?
Blue Man Group There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,143 |
Ugh, safe mode problems. I hate safe mode problems. I'll talk to Rick tomorrow, I think I know what's up. Your site and this site are now on the same server so if it work so this site.....
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,649 Likes: 88 |
Well David if you find the answer please post. I have a 2nd hosted site. That I had to disable safemode because I could not get the scripts to work at all.
Blue Man Group There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
318
guests, and
126
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
|
|