Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#227888 07/26/2009 11:16 AM
I have various questions so will just list them and hope someone can answer them for me.

1) Due to the content in my forums (no not adult!) I dont want it available to the general public. I want it to be subscription only for all users. At the moment anyone can register so my quetion is: How do I make it registration subscription only to all users to access all the forums?

2) Can I personalise things like the FAQs page to reflect what we want and if yes, how do I do this?

3) Can I have different islands in different forums. For instance: I woud like to use the shout box but dont want it on the portal or the main page for the forums but do want it in a specific forum I have created, can this be done and how? At the moment, what ever I put on the portal page is showing up everywhere else as well!

4) At the bottom of the pages it has writing like "Generated in 0.167 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 10 queries. Zlib compression disabled"
Can I remove this and how?

That's enough for now but I am sure I will be back with more questions later wink

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated.

Quick answers since I am relearning frontpage.

1) yes you can but there is not a one click button for it you need to go through all of the control panel permissions at least for guests and users. And only allow the subscription group access.I will find a post here somewhere later.
But you may want a welcome forum viewable to guests so they know how to gain access.

2) Yes the easier way is to edit the language files but I think there is a topic in the How do I Faq forum on this.

3) No, This is something I have requested many times. Hopefully it will come in version 8.??

4) Control Panel » Primary Settings+Advanced Options
Deselect "Show Debug Information in Footer?"

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Excellent, thanks Ruben,

I will wait for answer for questions 1 and 2 later although I will take a look at the How do I Faq forum as well and see what I can find too.

Enjoy re-learning FrontPage laugh
I do appreciate really smile

HERE is one post on restricting the board that I found.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The FAQ entries are just in a language file (languages/english/faq.php); when you add entries you'll need to add fields to the template file (templates/default/faq.tpl)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Hi Ruben, Thanks for that, it seems unless I disable the portal page I cant actually stop guests trying to join so will just have to monitor it closely and make sure I know they are part of the team I am training before I accept their registration!

You see, what I want is for invited people to subscribe with payment and then register. I am not sure how I get anyone to subscribe with payment because the subs page doesn't show anywhere for anyone to make their payment even though I did fill in the details on the subscription section of the control panel.........so it looks like I will have to do my own page for this too. Another reason why I need to know how I can do my own personalised pages.

Thanks again.......

Hi Gizmo,

Appreciate your input, I don't actually want to add new entries, I just want to change some of the answers to the FAQs like why should I register, I have different reasons why people should register for my forum compared to the reasons written in there already, I assume I can change this via the language file as you suggested.

Thanks again

Well you can what is called moderate registrations and accept or decline them.
Control Panel » Registration Settings
Enable Registration Queue?
This will prevent registrations from completing until you approve them in the control panel.

Blue Man Group
Yes Ruben I figured that one out already, I just didn't know if there was an easier way than screening them all. I was hoping that I could only have people register to use the forums after they have paid their subs without me checking first but I guess not, never mind, I will screen them and create a new page for then to pay their subs.........now I just have to work out the easiest way to do new pages........speaking of which, how is your re-learning of FP coming on laugh

Not going well for php so far. I see issues with how to edit and save a file with extra formatting so it looks like that problem still exists,just need to see if some of the save formats work better. I believe fp2003 has some features that may be better suited for php but has some very limited WYSIWYG features for php.
We will see.

BTW I don't use the subscription feature at all so I don't know about a alternative to your situation. But I know Basil uses it.

Blue Man Group
On the subject of registrations.
Just so you know.
All permissions to access forums and features are based on groups.
The default groups before adding one is:
Guests(Non registered visitors,Including spiders)
Users(Registered Members)
Moderator(Designated by the admin)
Global Moderator(Designated by the admin)
Administrator.(Designated by the admin)

You can add as many groups to this as you want. Each with their own permissions. Some change automatic or by you adding a member to a group.

You can limit each group to what forums they can see and what features they can use.
So you could add a subscribe group using the subscription feature.
Even though they may already be in the user group you just don't allow them access to the groups/forums you want to be paid for.
Once they have paid they are promoted to the pay per group. and whatever permissions that group has they can now view the forums the pay per group is allowed to see or use.

You can also setup groups based on the number of posts to see and use.
Once they reach a set post number they are automatically added to the group.
And you can tie that in with member titles with post count.

I know it is a lot to digest. But the permission settings are almost limitless.
Of course the more complicated you make it the more difficult it is to keep track of.

Blue Man Group
OK Ruben,

Thank you so much for checking all this out for me, I obviously don't want to risk messing anything up with this so unless its going to work out to be easy and hassle free I will think of another solution, maybe creating completely separate pages using the same forum design for now and load them to my server space away from the forums. At least then I could put links on the forums to those pages, I could even load them to my other server space to be sure.

You have been a star doing this for me. Thank You smile

Only saw your reply about the groups after I had posted this!!! That's all good stuff to know, thanks. I do want to keep it as simple as possible at the moment anyway. So far I have lots of forums with two teasers and the only ones people are not allowed in are the teasers, all other forums are for all the people I invite to subscribe, for what I am doing its not about groups, its simply a training board with lots of forums for specific to different parts of the business. All members will need access to everything.

I have learned such a lot over the last few days and know I have more to learn but i do know it takes time.....I will get there in the end.

Thanks again

No problem. If you are up on css then you could try using the css file for the ubb style you are using. It is a little bit of work. But once it is done then you could clone it for each page you create. Then you would just change the css properties and that would change all of the pages.

Blue Man Group
LOL css????? havent got a clue laugh laugh laugh ...........oh no here we go again and I am not even blond!!! laugh laugh

OK I have another question.

I currently have a web page where I have lots of links people can right click and save target as and download various documents, mostly in pdf or word.

Can I upload documents to the server and use a link in the same way by posting it in a topic on the forums or can I only upload files directly when creating a new topic or replying?

It would be great if I could have people right click a link in the forums to download directly from there.

You can do this a couple of ways.
One is the link feature. Such as the button second from the left here at this site,when making a reply it has a globe with a chain link in it.
Just copy the url to the file and select the icon.
It will prompt you for the url. Paste the location of the file. Then when you select okay it will prompt you for what you want the link to say.

The second method is a file attachment. If enabled in the forum permissions when you make a post, directly below the post area you will see a link for file manager. When you select this you are prompted to browse your computer and select a file to upload or attach to your post.
Depending on your control panel settings again. If the file size is below the inline setting the attachment will show for say a image. If the file size is above the inline setting in KB it will show as a link.

I believe you can test both of these methods in the test forum here.

Settings in the control panel will allow file types that are allowed,File size,Number of files and when the file is displayed instead of a link(this is generally for images)
And of course all the above are set per group.

Blue Man Group
Just perfect, that's what I wanted...... the link because some of the files are too big for an attachment and the link will work.

Hey did I tell you recently what a star you are wink

Thanks again Ruben

Thank you,
But for attachments you can bump up the file size for just the administrator group which would be you.
I guess it just depends on how you want the post to appear in your case.

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29