Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#227927 07/28/2009 4:52 PM
S
S Offline
Hello fellow UBB admins/mods. I'm rather stuck, and I hope this is the appropriate forum for this. I have a boxing forum, www.eliteboxingzone.com. I haven't had to log into the control panel for years, literally. I've decided I need to allow for new registrations because it's dead in there. Anyhow, I can't for the life of me remember my password for the control panel. I can log into my forum just fine, but not the control panel. There is no link on my version of UBB (6.7.1) for lost or forgotten passwords. My hosting company told me I need to contact UBB to fix this. So I tried to open a support ticket here on the website, it requires a license number and something else. I don't know/remember it, so I click the "did you forget your license number" link and it asks for my email address. I put in the only email addy I've ever used, it tells me it's not on file. There's no phone number, this forum seems the only route left open to me. Where do I go from here? If I could get in touch with someone from UBB I'm sure I could give them all my info and they could find me in the system, and maybe we could go from there.

Thanks for reading,

Shant

Shant #227928 07/28/2009 5:00 PM
As far as support options. They use a email address on record.
For lost licenses try Licence Issues
It could be you used a very old email address you can't remember. Or you are not the original person that purchased it

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #227929 07/28/2009 5:09 PM
Also, I do see a lost password feature at your site. You have to log off ,then when you attempt to login you will see it.
I don't.(pause) Never mind scratch that.
You are using classic. I just looked. This gets easy.
If you can ftp to your site and see the folders and files.
You will find a folder called members.
In this is a file for each user in a format like
00001.cgi then 00002.cgi or something like that.
Usually the admin will be 00001 open that file in a text editor and you will see a list of data. For admins a couple of lines from the top you will see administrator or administrator write or versi visa.
If you look at that file you will see a email address ,you could use for lost password and or figure out your login and password by looking at the top few lines which have your display name login name and password.
The file is not encrypted.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #227931 07/28/2009 5:21 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Classic doesn't link to the admin script; you simply access cp.cgi:
http://www.eliteboxingzone.com/cgi-bin/cp.cgi

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Ruben #227932 07/28/2009 5:22 PM
Veteran
Veteran
/cgi-bin/cp.cgi for your control panel.

JAISP #227933 07/28/2009 5:43 PM
Well I assumed he knows the url to the control panel. According to his post. I think he has been using a non admin user account.

But maybe he forgot to goto cp.cgi instead of ultimatebb.cgi

Blue Man Group
Ruben #227934 07/28/2009 6:10 PM
S
S Offline
Yeah, I've got the link to the control panel. I can log in as a member no problem, but for security reasons (paranoia) I used a different password for the control panel. Unfortunately there is no lost password link from the control panel page.

As for the email address being different than the one I signed up with EBB with, it's not likely. I set up this board in 2001, signed up with my host at exactly the same time. Did them both the same day in fact, the forum was the sole reason I got the website (as you can see, that homepage hasn't been updated in years). The email addy I was using in 2001 for my hosting company is the same one I used with EBB. Is it possible that EBB changed over their system since 2001 one and lost track?

Ruben- I'm very interested in the solution you offered, re FTP. That sounds like it should work, and I do remember going into all that way back in 2001 one with the members folder, etc...Only thing is, I'm pretty sure those files were on an old hard drive that died a couple years back. I may have backed up the FTP folders previously though, I need to check. But lets say I can't find it...am I screwed here? Surely there's a way UBB can find my license with or without whatever email address they have (or apparently don't have) on file first, no?

Hey thanks a bunch for your replies, you guys are great.

Shant

Ruben #227935 07/28/2009 6:11 PM
Looking at this site some more I don't see any way a new user can register either. So that can be a issue for no traffic.
I know you stated that it is a closed board. But I don't see a avenue for a new users to join at all.

Blue Man Group
Shant #227936 07/28/2009 6:28 PM
The License issues is just for your dilemma. This site has changed systems over the years so it is very possible that they have misplaced you email address.

As far as your own solution. I would think you have a way to back up your site, This is usually ftp.
Your host should provide you with how to do this.
This is just a way to access your site and download or upload the files contained on your site.
Depending on where your members directory is. It could be above the root. Meaning that it is not in a area that the general public has access to.
You would need to find the members folder and find the admin file.
Even if you open a support ticket ubb will need the same info to access your files to determine the login.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #227937 07/28/2009 6:30 PM
S
S Offline
Precisely, that's the very reason I need to get into the control panel. It's a private board, all my members are handpicked to avoid flamers and disrespectful members so I barred new registrations. If I wanted somebody to join, I'd turn it on and the moment they registered I'd turn it off again.

I've been out of country for a few years and for several reasons I never checked in on my board during that time. Came back last week to find only about half the regulars were still posting and I promised them I'd get it back like it was. I need to allow for new registrations to do so, and I can only do that from the control panel. It's a pickle, isn't it?

Shant #227939 07/28/2009 6:33 PM
Yea, you need to either remember or call your host to get what they call ftp access to get access to the files.
If you have a site control panel like cpanel, Plesk ,etc from your host you can usually see the ftp info there.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #227940 07/28/2009 6:36 PM
S
S Offline
Alright Ruben, so you're saying even EBB wouldn't be able to get into anything FTP. I wonder why my host didn't even tell me about that...I've been on the phone with them 3 times now and they've told me every option has been exhausted and I needed to check with "the people who set up my forum", which they told me was EBB.

I'll call them back and tell them I need my FTP files, yes? Would there be any legitimate reason they couldn't provide me with such?

Thanks again man, you're a lifesaver.

Ruben #227941 07/28/2009 6:39 PM
You replied in between my post.
Like I said ftp access is used by you. It is usually the method you would use to make backups of your site files. So hence they want your backup to try to restore you site.
Usually a host will make backups of your site but that still will not help you. And they usually will charge to restore.
Which you could do yourself.

So this is your first course of action. Find out how to get ftp access to your site. From the root. Which would be your master account.
Try first looking at your control panel provided from the host.
It might save some time on the phone.
If you need to call them.
Ask how do I get ftp access to the whole site.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #227942 07/28/2009 6:45 PM
Also just so you understand. You had to use ftp to install classic to begin with that is how the files were copied(uploaded)to your site.
Now you need to download them to find your login. Or UBB will need to.

Note. FTP access is a must have in your case no matter who fixes it.(Me,you or ubb) Regardless of who installed it.

Blue Man Group
Shant #227945 07/28/2009 9:04 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
well, all passwords in the UBB in classic are plain text, so just opening the numbered files in the member directory you should be able to find the user/pass to an admin account

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #227949 07/28/2009 11:19 PM
S
S Offline
Yeah, I do remember doing the FTP when I installed EBB (my website). Checked my hard drive, I got no remnants of those files, so I gotta get them remotely. Thing is, if I remember correctly, didn't I also set up a password for the ftp? In other words not just anybody can get into my members directory, they would need the password/username I setup initially. No way I'm remembering that. Is that something the host can reset for me?

Shant #227950 07/28/2009 11:35 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The host is the only one who can know or reset your ftp info...

Gizmo #227951 07/28/2009 11:46 PM
S
S Offline
Beautiful...I'll get on the phone with them now and see what's up. The language gap is a pain...I believe they're using call centers in India, but all the operators use names like "bill harris" and "jonathan woods". They're very well-intentioned and courteous but trying to get any useful information is like pulling teeth. I hope I won't have to explain what FTP is to them.

Last edited by Shant; 07/28/2009 11:47 PM.
Shant #227952 07/28/2009 11:57 PM
S
S Offline
It friggin worked! I can't believe it...I'm in! I was worried at first because the 000001.cgi file was actually just my member info, ie it contained the user/password info I needed to log into my forum as a member, not the control panel as an admin. But then I realized that the user/passwords were in caps. Apparently, for my version of UBB, the member login isn't case sensitive but the control panel login is.

Ruben & the rest of you guys, thanks a bunch. I wish I could return the favor. If any of you like to talk boxing, you've all got open invitations to, in my 'somewhat' biased opinion, the best boxing board on the net. Thanks again!

Shant

Shant #227953 07/29/2009 1:57 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, it's actually the "new thing" for overseas call centers to have employees choose "American" names, a lot of countries actually have citizens who choose American names as well (Like the pakistani builder "John Smith" on build it bigger on TV lol)... I guess they think it helps them relate to us...

What I love is when they try to fake a southern accent, so you can't understand their fake accent over their real accent and you just want them to stop and attempt to speak English so you can understand what they're saying...

I'm glad you've got everything up and running though; let us know if you should have any issues in the future!

Gizmo #227960 07/29/2009 2:10 PM
FYI on call centers in India.
When I worked for a electric utility we used them.
Most all of the call reps are required to have a engineering degree in the product they will take calls on.
They are then sent to a school for 12 weeks one to learn the product and to learn English and how to minimize their accent.
When they graduate they are allowed to pick an American name to use at the call center.
And to graduate they must pass a test. It is not just a class they attend.
For all that they max out around $30,000 per year.
And it is one of the top jobs in that country.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #227968 07/30/2009 12:06 AM
S
S Offline
Well I should clarify it was clear these were no dummies I was dealing with on the phone. In one case that was actually the problem. You tend to listen to people less when you think you're smarter or more well-informed. He sent me a new password for the hosting site 2 times, not understanding the difference between the control panel for the hosting site and my website. After the 2nd time I called him and told him to check his email for the link to my control panel. He acted like he got the email and clicked the link. Then he told me "I just tried the password I sent you (for the hosting site) and it works sir." I wanted to get mad at that point but I reminded myself that he probably deals with a lot of gerks all day and he probably thinks I'm one of them, so let me try one more time before I ask to speak with somebody else. So I made him read the link I sent him in the email. Only then did I hear him punching away at the keyboard and click my link...then he was like "Oh THIS control panel"...:/

Another problem is you sometimes have to ask them to repeat a word 4 or 5 times and they get frustrated. He said the word "ultimate"...but it sounded like "rooldemud" so after about the 5th time he said the word, I had to make him spell it. He probably thought I was just messing with him.

All that said, they never left me on hold and genuinely tried to do what they could. But look at the end result, they came up with nothing and some strangers on a forum solved my issue. And you all don't even work for UBB. Again I just want to express my gratitude for that. Do you all have your own forums?

Shant #227987 07/30/2009 2:53 PM
Ha HA I never said they understood English just learned to speak it. Yes just about everyone here uses ubb in one version or another

Blue Man Group
Ruben #228008 07/30/2009 8:45 PM
S
S Offline
How are the newer versions anyway? Mine's gotta be 6 or 7 years since I last updated. Do the new ones have a "new post" feature, where you click it and all the threads with new posts since the last time you posted show up in bold...? That alone would be enough to get me to update.

Shant #228012 07/30/2009 9:57 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes, you can set the style for new posts to be differant than those which are not new; you could set "font-weight" to bold and it'd show them as bold.

Shant #228041 07/31/2009 6:18 PM
Originally Posted by Shant
How are the newer versions anyway? Mine's gotta be 6 or 7 years since I last updated. Do the new ones have a "new post" feature, where you click it and all the threads with new posts since the last time you posted show up in bold...? That alone would be enough to get me to update.
Well you can try the "Active Topics" link at the top of the page for starters.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #228042 07/31/2009 6:27 PM
BTW this post needs to be moved to the classic forums.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #228043 07/31/2009 6:54 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Moved

Gizmo #228081 08/02/2009 12:23 PM
S
S Offline
Ah, all these years I never tried the active topics thing. That's pretty close to the new posts thing I was looking for. Here's a link to what I'm talking about. Look at the top of the page. You click it, and all the threads with posts you haven't seen appear in a list in bold. Does UBB have anything like that I wonder?

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/

Shant #228087 08/02/2009 2:53 PM
Originally Posted by Shant
Ah, all these years I never tried the active topics thing. That's pretty close to the new posts thing I was looking for. Here's a link to what I'm talking about. Look at the top of the page. You click it, and all the threads with posts you haven't seen appear in a list in bold. Does UBB have anything like that I wonder?

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/forum/
No, there is not a summary page for unread topics spanning all forums like classic. Maybe this feature will return in the 8.x versions.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #228107 08/03/2009 2:01 PM
S
S Offline
Originally Posted by Ruben
[quote=Shant]

No, there is not a summary page for unread topics spanning all forums like classic.

Are you referring to the 'today's active topics' link you mentioned?

Also, the suggestion mentioned for making unread topics bold...is that something I can do now, with classic? Or will I need to upgrade for that?

Shant #228109 08/03/2009 2:56 PM
Yes that and there was what was called the blue arrow.
Somebody else will need to chime in if there is a way to change the font style for new posts in classic. I just don't remember if there was such a mod for that.

Blue Man Group
Ruben #228110 08/03/2009 3:11 PM
S
S Offline
How about the blue arrow? Is that in all versions of classic?

Shant #228111 08/03/2009 3:16 PM
No, it was a link for new replies in the beginning days, Then one version it went away. Then it came back as a mod(hack). That was when Charles Capps was here. You can try searching over at ubbdev.com. It was just so long ago and I have not even used classic for two years. So it is easy to forget.

But there are still people here that use classic so maybe somebody can assist.

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29