Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#229939 10/14/2009 9:30 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 260
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 260
I just bought your awesome forum software

I am in the process of installing it

The chmod permissions

Excerpt from your Installation Instructions:

Unix & Mac Servers:

You must set the following permissions on the UBB.threads™ files and directories. You can use your FTP software to set these permissions. For exact information on setting permissions in your FTP client, see the documentation included with that program.

includes/ directory: set permissions to 0777

files within the includes/ directory: set permissions to 0666

===

On my web hosting server, they have 3 digit numbers there

Not 4 digit numbers

includes/ directory: is set right now to: 755

===

Do I ignore the first digit from your install instructions?

The first digit in your install instructions is a 0

So than it would be 777 instead of 0777

or 666 instead of 0666


???

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 260
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 260
On my web hosting server, for the inludues directory (for example)

it says this:

Chmod directories and files

Owner: Read Write Execute

Group: Read Write Execute

Everyone: Read Write Execute

To set all permissions to the same values, enter those permissions and click on the button "Set all permissions".

Set the permissions of directory includes to:

Owner: Read Write Execute

Group: Read Write Execute

Everyone: Read Write Execute

Chmod value: 755

Chmod also the subdirectories within this directory

Chmod also the files within this directory


---


Your Installation Instructions says to change it to 0777

?

Help


Do I just ignore the first digit which is 0 and set it to 777 ?



Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 260
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 260
ok my web hosting server company just replied to my email help question

they said yes, ignore your first digit 0 number and set it to 777 and 666

instead of 0777 and 0666


Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
Yeh 777 and 666 can be used in exchange of 0777 and 0666


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 260
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Yeh 777 and 666 can be used in exchange of 0777 and 0666

Thank you Gizmo

I successfully installed it

I am in the Control Panel right now. It's going to take me awhile to understand the options in there.


Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
I don't know why the install script can't just do all the CHMOD settings it self. I know in Perl language you can write the script to set CHMOD and I am sure you can do it in PHP.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242
Likes: 1
The problem is PHP can't chmod it if it doesn't have permission to write to it in the first place. It can be done however if the PHP script initiates an FTP connection and does it via FTP, which we'll be doing for v8.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes: 2
what about one file uploaded that "unpacks" the UBB software then sets the proper permissions. However you would need two different install files, one for a new install and one for an upgrade install as so it does not overwrite the necessary configuration files.


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 118 guests, and 136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)