Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 194
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 194
I was wondering are there any plans to use SHA-1 (or SHA-2) passwords in UBB.threads 8.0? Currently, UBB.threads uses MD5, which has been found to have several vulnerabilities compared to SHA-1 and SHA-2. I think for UBB.threads 8.0, passwords should be either SHA-1 or SHA-2 based instead of MD5.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
agreed.. add some pepper and salt too wink

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
See, when I was talking to CC when v8 was in its conception, i was all excited because passwords where going to have a dual salt and be md5ed...

But instead they're just md5ed and can be run through a hash comparison site and tada, theres user passwords...

Though ones site has to be hacked before someone could copy your db to compare passwords, but I always liked the security aspect of at least a basic salt to md5


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 304 guests, and 96 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)