Print Thread
Hop To
#229092 09/08/2009 1:07 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
Hey,
Why is UBB banned from MANY web hosts? Soem of which are at the top [Biggest and most successful/reliable].

Is it sort of unsecure or soenthing?

[Ex of host your banned form: hosting24.com]

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, likely they've banned UBB.Classic due to high resource usage; it wasn't optimized for large forums and was perl/flat file based.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Gizmo pretty much nailed it. I've had a couple customers be in this situation where their host said UBB was banned. Once they contacted them and explained that UBB.threads is MySQL based and totally different from UBB.classic there was no problem installing on the host.

R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
So is the current release stable enough for a large number of users and alot of content?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yes, this thread covers the question a bit.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i've consulted on a forum with over 350,000 users in it.. the only bottleneck there was that the welcome PM on signup got repeated 350,000 times!!

i modded that forum, so it used a shared welcome PM and things were ok wink

SD #233081 01/02/2010 2:22 AM
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Mail traffic is another concern in shared hosting. But its always better to go with VPS. now a days vps are getting cheaper.

stranger
stranger
My approach has always been not to ask for permission, but be prepared to beg for forgiveness if you board takes off. If UBB.threads is causing a resource issue on your server, then you have a "High Class" problem since you will require several thousands of users before it will attract the attention of the host.

For the mail issues, especially delivery problems, I use Google Apps and gmail's SMTP servers. Each Google Apps account has a limit of 500 outbound emails per day, but I use a cron script to rotate accounts every 10 minutes. You can have up to 50 accounts on their free plan, meaning 25k outbound messages a day. If you set your SPF correctly to include the google servers and your host server then you will rarely have a problem with delivery.

One of the problems with VPS is security and the admin overhead/learning curve. I have used VPSLink for many projects, but their IPs are constantly targeted as the hackers know that these virtual boxes are mainly managed by inexperienced newbies. If you do go down the VPS path then always check the IP addresses you are allocated against the blacklists. If yours shows up then request another or you will definitely experience problems getting your mail delivered.

Visit my Blog: Nick Murray
Buy Digital Camera Memory Cards here

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 694 guests, and 214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29