Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
We're working on the individual post options and are thinking of making some changes, but figured I'd open it up to discussion first.

Right now, if you can quote/reply, you also get the quick quote/quick reply option. So that's 4 buttons right there, and a bit redundant.

The current thought is to combine them. You'd just get a quote button and a reply button that would default to the quick reply area, and then you could switch to the full reply screen if you wanted to from there.

Feedback appreciated.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Just a preemptive "I know we can do that"

I know we can just give a control panel option to display all buttons like now, or just the two. wink

Why not just have the reply and quote buttons become a drop down list. If quick reply or quote is enabled then it can be selected.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by Ruben
Why not just have the reply and quote buttons become a drop down list. If quick reply or quote is enabled then it can be selected.

Thought about a dropdown, but everyone is used to buttons for the various post options, not only from our prior/current versions but it's pretty much the norm on all forums. Plus, many people will want to style them, add images, etc. So we need to stick with a series of buttons as they are now.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i like your idea of going from 4 buttons to 2.. and i rarely even use the Quick Reply or Reply buttons anyway, since it's showflat mode and if i'm 'out of order' i just 'quick quote' whoever i want to 'reply' to

if that makes sense..

bottom line: 2 buttons instead of 4 is better and i agree with you laugh

This is the way I look at it.
Currently Quick reply is a option to enable or disable.
Quick quote I can't find a option.
So if quick reply is turned off...
Then what?
Open a child window for the quick reply?

So if you delete the two buttons. You are left with reply and quote.
Options could be pertinent on what control panel selection is made. I guess.

My 2 cents.

Blue Man Group
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Well if we go to only 2 buttons and the quick reply area is disabled in the control panel, then it will go to the full reply screen instead. wink

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I should add that the main reason we're looking at this, is we've been parsing out the logs for the past couple of months and only a small fraction of replies are done from the full reply screen (about 85% are done from the quick reply area).

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i've also gone further with a mod to allow the users the OPTION to have the full reply set of buttons shown above the quick reply.. it's cached, so it isn't re-smartied each/every time either, plus the images are already Etagged..

90% of users use quick reply area for new posts and from a quick query of what percent chose to have the buttons... 60% wanted it 40% either didn't choose it or left it default..

2000 users...

edit: lol, rick kinda beat me to it laugh

That is okay by me.
What happens if it is enabled?
Will users be forced to go to the quick reply screen first.
I don't like that.

Blue Man Group
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
ONE thing you should get info on is those boards that are heavily into THREADED mode...

it's a different beast.. one that i never liked, but was forced to deal with laugh

Veteran
Veteran
I usually click on the quote button and cut out what I don't want.

R
R Offline
On the subject of reply buttons and streamlining, what's the benefit of the New Reply button at the top of threads and the New Reply item in the Topic Options menu? Both duplicate the function of the Reply button on the first post AFAICT, and I've never understood why they're there.

Running UBB.threads 7.5.5 as of May 23 2010
G
G Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
We're working on the individual post options and are thinking of making some changes, but figured I'd open it up to discussion first.

Right now, if you can quote/reply, you also get the quick quote/quick reply option. So that's 4 buttons right there, and a bit redundant.

The current thought is to combine them. You'd just get a quote button and a reply button that would default to the quick reply area, and then you could switch to the full reply screen if you wanted to from there.

Feedback appreciated.

My take on this, after some recent discussion about it on one of my forums.

Skip reply box at the bottom, which makes people answering the wrong post.

Instead, do an inline popup, or slide out the reply box below the post you're answering to.

By default don't show any extra options, except the editor stuff. Should be configurable by user, at my site this is just saved in a cookie in the same way categories are hidden on the forum list.

Quoting is done by a separate button, which quotes the entire post, or just the marked parts. Quote button can of course be clicked on any number of times.

The full reply screen could still be an option, though it would be exactly the same just on its own page.

An extra editor button to clear the textarea would be a nice help too, especially if quoting the entire post would be the default.

Also, by default, no nested quotes, just the new text written by the poster. Maybe even remove the option to quote the entire post altogether, at least automatically, since it would be completely unnecessary.

On a related note, regarding previews. In "hover" previews, quotes should be removed, it's the new reply that's interesting. It should also not be showing immediately but instead after a delay and not on the entire row, just on some icon. It should also be available on threads when hovering over the "[Re: Rick]" link to the previous post. Previews should also be available on the Watched lists.

aka Olle Johansson
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
We've decided on a method of this that seems to be the standard way most forums approach this. This is something we're doing in several areas, since a user shouldn't go into complete shock when adjusting from one brand of software to another.

The quote button will be changed to Multi-Quote. So, you'll be able to select multiple posts to quote. When clicking reply it's going to take you to the full reply screen, adding in any quotes that you've tagged.

Quick Reply is going to be just what the name replies. It's going to reply to the first post in the topic.

G
G Offline
While your changing how replies work, I have a small feature suggestion.

If a post being replied to is changed while someone is writing a reply, they should be notified. Possibly just match the changed date or an md5 checksum on the post when posting. If it doesn't match, just show the reply screen again, with the updated post and a nice big warning box mentioning the fact that the original post has been changed.

Even better would be to have a colored diff showing the changes, but that might be overkill.

This could of course be polled via ajax, to update the original post inline without having to wait for the submit.

aka Olle Johansson

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 484 guests, and 138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29