Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
I am trying run the install.php. The page opens and does not run the security checks or anything. The farthest it get is at the top of the page where it says "UBB Threads Upgrad" (without the e or anything after it) and underneath that is a blank page.

On the left side the "permissions" is highlighted green but the page just sits there.

I can run php scripts fine so I am stuck at this step.

??

I'd do a quick check to make sure the install file was uploaded to the server properly (not corrupted). If that looks ok, then you can open a support ticket if you want and we'll take a look. We'd need to get the URL and the ftp information and should be able to figure out what's going on.

Huh?
Why does it say upgrade if you are running the install script.
If you are upgrading you would run the upgrade script.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
I agree. Why am I getting a page that has upgrade in it? I am doing a fresh install. I even tried deleted the upgrade files in the install dir and I still get the same message.

I copied over the entire install directory from the 7-5-4-2 zip file I downloaded the other day so maybe I have corrupt source files. I will try downloading it again and running it. Then I will make a support ticket.

Strange...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Dumb question, you say you copied the entire install directory; did you copy just that directory, or all of the files? I know the script will die if it's missing libs, scripts, etc; the only time you can just copy the install directory is during an upgrade (and that method isn't really supported too much)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Yes I did copy the whole directory structure a couple of times, all the subdirs are there but I have some more info:

I can run a test.php file from the root of the website and it reports my php version etc. I can also run that same test.php file from the forum directory. I can also run the index.php from that install directory. When I try to run that install.php I get that freeze up thing.

One clue may be this error: - CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.

This happens when I try to run certain php files on this site. I found a thread that talks about using php-cgi (which I am using) and IIS, the php scripts contained 2 or more frames, causing this error. I am trying to figure out if I have correct settings on this website (IIS6). Should I see anything is the website properties under ISAPI Filters? I am sure I have the PHP Web extension correct though.

Last edited by mcreams; 01/28/2010 6:46 PM.
Well If I was betting I would say you may have some file permission errors. Meaning the file/directory structure is not set correctly per the installation guidelines.
But to save you time and heartache it may be best to follow Scott's suggestion and just open a support ticket.

There was a small php test script to check for compatibility some where in the purchase area but I can't seem to find it anymore. Maybe it was overlooked when the site moved.

Last edited by Ruben; 01/28/2010 6:56 PM. Reason: Added comment

Blue Man Group
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Yeah, I guess I will just open a ticket. I wondered about permissions also but I checked them quite a few times now.

Well, thanks for the help everybody.

Oh, here is the test script.
https://www.ubbcentral.com/demo.php
Way down at the bottom is a link to download it.

Blue Man Group
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
sounds like mod_security to me... just my 2c

additionally, make sure you aren't running php 5.3 or greater..

M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Finally getting back to this project...

Update: I have reinstalled php, re-created the website, re-setup permissions and checked over php.ini and having same problem.

Sirdude: I am running v5.3.1. What problems might I see using newer than 5.3? I will have to research mod_security but I do have folder security wide open for troubleshooting so I don't think that is an issue.

Ruben: Thanks for the link to that test file. It reported a mysql problem and I fixed it and it reports back all ok.

I think it is time to open a ticket.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
back your php down to 5.2.12 -- nothing newer!! (should be just a quick easyapache or whatever you have in your configurator)

i've run into 5.3 and above causing unpredictable havoc

M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Sirdude you are the man!

Forgive my excitement but I have been fighting this problem for awhile. Dropping php back to ver 5.2.12 finally allowed the install script to run. Now I can get on with this.

Thanks for the help. There are a lot of helpful people on this board.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
you're welcome!!

This should be BOLDED somewhere, since php 5.3 and php 5.3.1 have come out and caused probs.. not only with ubbthreads (for now) but other major softwares out there.. joomla, drupal..

they have patched them, but if you google you will see the sad stories...

dunno how strongly to suggest this, but it should be either rectified for 7.5.4.2 or a bulletin to not allow those php versions for now! wink i've already mentioned this in 2 or 3 other threads.. disabling deprecated warnings is really not a fix..

i was 'lucky' in that i run a local development server to test stuff out.. and it puked when i upgraded the php...

others may NOT be so lucky wink

good luck to you!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (DennyP, 1 invisible), 969 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29